I know, I know, I don't know

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Andries, Apr 23, 2004.

  1. Andries

    Andries Guest

    Hello all,

    Yes I'm aware this is the wrong newsgroup (so please point me to the
    right one please) I looked in alt how to but only porn there.
    So please don't flame

    My question is this.
    I use whisper (a password generator) for accounts.
    Meanwhile i have 1500 accounts so i want to put things in a database
    or report to analyse.
    Problem is that Whisper doesn't have an export function to ascii text.
    I mailed the author of the program and he says it's programmed in
    delphi and he hasn't the time to programm this.
    I'm not a programmer but i remember from my dos days that you can
    print-to-file somehow. I like to think i have a text-file and then i
    can arrange things. (I'm trying to learn perl so i have a good
    playfield to experiment)
    I use Windows 2000 and i can't think of anything to solve my problem.

    Andries Meijer

    Andries, Apr 23, 2004

  2. On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 01:12:46 +0200, Andries scribbled furiously:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > Yes I'm aware this is the wrong newsgroup (so please point me to the
    > right one please) I looked in alt how to but only porn there.
    > So please don't flame

    I won't flame, just point out alt.os.windows2000 or the large
    and often informative newservers supplied by microsoft snews.microsoft.com
    which covers a whole multitude of sins :)

    <snip>

    > Problem is that Whisper doesn't have an export function to ascii text.
    > I mailed the author of the program and he says it's programmed in
    > delphi and he hasn't the time to programm this.
    > I'm not a programmer but i remember from my dos days that you can
    > print-to-file somehow. I like to think i have a text-file and then i
    > can arrange things. (I'm trying to learn perl so i have a good
    > playfield to experiment)
    > I use Windows 2000 and i can't think of anything to solve my problem.

    If the output is to the dos screen the adding a > c:\yourfile.txt will
    save the output to the ASCII file c:\yourfile.txt if you are generating
    lots of different executions of the program you will want to replace >
    with >> to append.

    whisper >> c:\passwordLog.txt

    using a relative path rather than the absolute path above will create the
    file relative to the working directory.

    cheers
    Mike "bit rusty on this windows lark" B

    mike blamires, Apr 23, 2004

  3. Andries

    Robin Guest

    "Andries" <> wrote in message
    > Hello all,
    >
    > Yes I'm aware this is the wrong newsgroup (so please point me to the
    > right one please) I looked in alt how to but only porn there.
    > So please don't flame
    >
    > My question is this.
    > I use whisper (a password generator) for accounts.
    > Meanwhile i have 1500 accounts so i want to put things in a database
    > or report to analyse.
    > Problem is that Whisper doesn't have an export function to ascii text.
    > I mailed the author of the program and he says it's programmed in
    > delphi and he hasn't the time to programm this.
    > I'm not a programmer but i remember from my dos days that you can
    > print-to-file somehow. I like to think i have a text-file and then i
    > can arrange things. (I'm trying to learn perl so i have a good
    > playfield to experiment)
    > I use Windows 2000 and i can't think of anything to solve my problem.
    >
    > Andries Meijer

    u coulld.....hmmmmm....use perl. check out http://learn.perl.org
    or pipe it with > like the above posted said.

    -Robin

    Robin, Apr 23, 2004
  4. Andries wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > Yes I'm aware this is the wrong newsgroup (so please point me to the
    > right one please) I looked in alt how to but only porn there.
    > So please don't flame
    >
    > My question is this.
    > I use whisper (a password generator) for accounts.
    > Meanwhile i have 1500 accounts so i want to put things in a database
    > or report to analyse.
    > Problem is that Whisper doesn't have an export function to ascii text.
    > I mailed the author of the program and he says it's programmed in
    > delphi and he hasn't the time to programm this.
    > I'm not a programmer but i remember from my dos days that you can
    > print-to-file somehow. I like to think i have a text-file and then i
    > can arrange things. (I'm trying to learn perl so i have a good
    > playfield to experiment)
    > I use Windows 2000 and i can't think of anything to solve my problem.
    >
    > Andries Meijer

    My thought is to install http://www.cygwin.com/ to get a decent development
    environment.

    Then either use 'expect' and process the output, or capture the output using
    nohup.

    gtoomey

    Gregory Toomey, Apr 23, 2004