I know it works but is it allowed?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Sims, Mar 5, 2004.

  1. Sims

    Sims Guest

    Hi,

    If i have something like

    <head>
    .... some tables, data whatever
    <!--
    .... some style
    -->
    <!--
    .... some style
    -->
    </head>
    </head>

    Can i define style more than once within the body?
    Can i even put the syle in the body?

    Sims

    Sims, Mar 5, 2004

  2. Jukka K. Korpela, Mar 5, 2004

  3. Sims

    Sims Guest

    > > Can i define style more than once within the body?
    >
    > Yes. I see little reason to do so, unless you use different media
    > attributes, but surely you can.

    I saw it in another page and wondered if it was ok.

    > > Can i even put the syle in the body?

    > No.
    >
    > Hints on how to post to Usenet:
    > http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/dont.html

    Sorry, what did i do wrong? Are you referring to the FAQ? If yes then i
    simply didn't think of looking.

    Sims, Mar 5, 2004
  4. Sims

    Steve R. Guest

    Sims wrote in message ...
    > Sorry, what did i do wrong?

    I was baffled by his response as well :~)

    Steve R., Mar 5, 2004
  5. Steve R. wrote:
    > Sims wrote in message ...
    >
    >>Sorry, what did i do wrong?

    > I was baffled by his response as well :~)

    "I know it works but is it allowed?" doesn't say what the message is
    about. It could be anything from dynamite fishing to moonshine liquor.

    Matthias

    Matthias Gutfeldt, Mar 5, 2004
  6. Sims

    Els Guest

    Steve R. wrote:

    > Sims wrote in message ...
    >
    >>Sorry, what did i do wrong?

    > I was baffled by his response as well :~)

    My guess: the subject line wasn't informative enough :)

    --
    Els

    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Mar 5, 2004
  7. Sims

    Sims Guest

    > > I was baffled by his response as well :~)

    > My guess: the subject line wasn't informative enough :)

    If it is the case then i apologise.
    I assumed, (wrongly), that because we are discussing HTML it was implied
    that my subject was
    "That HTML code works on most browsers but is it allowed by the standard.".

    I should have been more specific in my subject. Sorry.
    If it is something else maybe Jukka will tell me, because it is also a bit
    unclear what he meant.

    Sims

    Sims, Mar 5, 2004
  8. Sims

    Sims Guest

    > >>Sorry, what did i do wrong?

    > > I was baffled by his response as well :~)

    > "I know it works but is it allowed?" doesn't say what the message is
    > about. It could be anything from dynamite fishing to moonshine liquor.

    Point taken, but we are neither discussing dynamite fishing or moonshine
    liquor.
    So in the context of this NG, i thought it was understood that i was about
    to ask about some html code.

    Sims

    Sims, Mar 5, 2004
  9. Sims

    Els Guest

    Sims wrote:

    >>>I was baffled by his response as well :~)

    >>My guess: the subject line wasn't informative enough :)

    > If it is the case then i apologise.
    > I assumed, (wrongly), that because we are discussing HTML it was implied
    > that my subject was
    > "That HTML code works on most browsers but is it allowed by the standard.".

    That still isn't enough though.
    In your case I'd probably have put something like "style
    blocks in body allowed?"

    --
    Els

    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Mar 5, 2004
  10. Sims

    Sims Guest

    > >>My guess: the subject line wasn't informative enough :)

    > > If it is the case then i apologise.
    > > I assumed, (wrongly), that because we are discussing HTML it was implied
    > > that my subject was
    > > "That HTML code works on most browsers but is it allowed by the

    standard.".

    > That still isn't enough though.
    > In your case I'd probably have put something like "style
    > blocks in body allowed?"

    I agree, as i said maybe i should have spent more time on the subject. Sorry
    for that.

    BTW, looking at the last 20/30 posts here not many have good subjects, why
    was i selected out of the herd?
    Was my subject worst than "Assistance required" or "IE vs. Netscape" or
    "IE7" or do we all get links on how to post on the Usenet?

    Sims

    Sims, Mar 5, 2004
  11. Sims

    Els Guest

    Sims wrote:

    >>>If it is the case then i apologise.
    >>>I assumed, (wrongly), that because we are discussing HTML it was implied
    >>>that my subject was
    >>>"That HTML code works on most browsers but is it allowed by the standard.".

    >>That still isn't enough though.
    >>In your case I'd probably have put something like "style
    >>blocks in body allowed?"

    > I agree, as i said maybe i should have spent more time on the subject. Sorry
    > for that.

    You have apologized already, stop it. ;-)

    > BTW, looking at the last 20/30 posts here not many have good subjects, why
    > was i selected out of the herd?

    Now _that_ you have to ask Jukka.

    --
    Els

    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Mar 5, 2004
  12. Sims

    Sims Guest

    > > I agree, as i said maybe i should have spent more time on the subject.

    Sorry
    > > for that.

    > You have apologized already, stop it. ;-)

    Sorry :)

    Sims

    Sims, Mar 5, 2004
  13. Sims wrote:

    >>>I was baffled by his response as well :~)

    >>"I know it works but is it allowed?" doesn't say what the message is
    >>about. It could be anything from dynamite fishing to moonshine liquor.
    >>

    > Point taken, but we are neither discussing dynamite fishing or moonshine
    > liquor.

    YOU are not - but we might be.

    > So in the context of this NG, i thought it was understood that i was about
    > to ask about some html code.

    Not necessarily; it's about more or less anything Web-related. IIRC
    there isn't even a charter.

    But even if it was about HTML: HTML has approximately 100 different
    elements and 120 different attributes that can be combined with each
    other in an almost infinite number of ways.

    And whether something is allowed in HTML can be easily checked with the
    HTML validator, <http://validator.w3.org/> (or the one from the WDG,
    <http://htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/>). So you're asking US to do
    something you could have done yourself - and with a non-descriptive
    subject line, too.

    No big deal though. We just like to be anal-retentive on every first
    Friday of the month.

    Matthias

    Matthias Gutfeldt, Mar 5, 2004
  14. Sims

    Sims Guest

    > >>"I know it works but is it allowed?" doesn't say what the message is
    > >>about. It could be anything from dynamite fishing to moonshine liquor.
    > >>

    > > Point taken, but we are neither discussing dynamite fishing or moonshine
    > > liquor.

    > YOU are not - but we might be.

    So where can i get some of that liquor?

    > Matthias

    Sims

    Sims, Mar 5, 2004
  15. Sims

    Kris Guest

    In article <c29jd6$1qrhbm$-berlin.de>,
    "Sims" <> wrote:

    > BTW, looking at the last 20/30 posts here not many have good subjects, why
    > was i selected out of the herd?

    Because you sound to be easily indoctrinated. ;)

    --
    Kris
    <> (nl)

    Kris, Mar 5, 2004
  16. Sims

    Jo Mutch Guest

    "Kris" <> wrote in message
    > In article <c29jd6$1qrhbm$-berlin.de>,
    > "Sims" <> wrote:
    >
    > > BTW, looking at the last 20/30 posts here not many have good subjects,

    why
    > > was i selected out of the herd?

    > Because you sound to be easily indoctrinated. ;)
    >
    > --
    > Kris
    > <> (nl)
    > http://www.cinnamon.nl/>

    And probably because Jukka is such a pedant

    ---

    Jo Mutch, Mar 5, 2004
  17. While the city slept, Sims <> feverishly typed:

    [...]
    > BTW, looking at the last 20/30 posts here not many have good
    > subjects, why was i selected out of the herd?

    Every first Friday of the month, we hold a meeting where we select one
    poster to single out for each of the following categories;
    1. Poor subject line
    2. Spelling "lose" as "loose"
    3. Top posting

    If you're lucky, you might win this month's special prize, too! ;-)

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss.

    nice.guy.nige, Mar 5, 2004
  18. Sims

    Sims Guest

    > [...]
    > > BTW, looking at the last 20/30 posts here not many have good
    > > subjects, why was i selected out of the herd?

    > Every first Friday of the month, we hold a meeting where we select one

    Who are 'we', is that the secret society that rules the world and checks for
    poor subject line i heard so much abut?

    > poster to single out for each of the following categories;
    > 1. Poor subject line
    > 2. Spelling "lose" as "loose"
    > 3. Top posting
    >
    > If you're lucky, you might win this month's special prize, too! ;-)

    1) Ok my bad.
    2) Where did i spell loose/lose?
    3) Where did i top post?

    Surely there are some more worthy articles than mine.
    I ask for a re-vote.

    Sims

    Sims, Mar 5, 2004
  19. Sims

    Kris Guest

    In article <c29p94$1qjs9o$-berlin.de>,
    "Sims" <> wrote:

    > > Every first Friday of the month, we hold a meeting where we select one

    > Who are 'we', is that the secret society that rules the world and checks for
    > poor subject line i heard so much abut?

    It wouldn't be so secret then if you have heard so much about it.
    See page 14 of J.D. Salinger's The Catcher In The Rye for further
    instructions.

    --
    Kris
    <> (nl)

    Kris, Mar 5, 2004
  20. While the city slept, Sims <> feverishly typed:

    >> [...]
    >>> BTW, looking at the last 20/30 posts here not many have good
    >>> subjects, why was i selected out of the herd?

    >> Every first Friday of the month, we hold a meeting where we select
    >> one

    > Who are 'we', is that the secret society that rules the world and
    > checks for poor subject line i heard so much abut?

    Nah. You want "illuminati", second door down the corridor, on the left.

    >> poster to single out for each of the following categories;
    >> 1. Poor subject line
    >> 2. Spelling "lose" as "loose"
    >> 3. Top posting
    >>
    >> If you're lucky, you might win this month's special prize, too! ;-)
    >>

    > 1) Ok my bad.
    > 2) Where did i spell loose/lose?

    You didn't. That will be someone else.

    > 3) Where did i top post?

    You didn't. That will be someone else.

    You do, however, now qualify for the "paranoid poster of the month" award!
    ;-)

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --