I know someone as already done this ...

mac8500

Massive change in UID's/GID's from about 30 servers. About 300 users
(yeah i know ... a mess).

Anybody would have a script that would:

- check for conficts (new uid already is used).
- usermod, groupmod to the new infos. Would add AIX and Solaris
support depending.
- make a backup of the old infos.
- build a hash for a massive find / so that it would'nt have to make a
find for each users (would kill the machine).
- chown the results.
- End status.

I know i'm not the first one to do this :)

help a sysadmin in need.

JohnDrago

You might take a look at the Net::SSH module on CPAN.

You can effectively "log in" to each server and execute the appropriate
shell commands to discover the data you need.

toby

JohnDrago said:
You might take a look at the Net::SSH module on CPAN.

You can effectively "log in" to each server and execute the appropriate
shell commands to discover the data you need.

Probably cfengine could handle this as well ... especially if there is
ongoing maintenance.

Rahul

mac8500 said:
Massive change in UID's/GID's from about 30 servers. About 300 users
(yeah i know ... a mess).

Anybody would have a script that would:

- check for conficts (new uid already is used).
- usermod, groupmod to the new infos. Would add AIX and Solaris
support depending.
- make a backup of the old infos.
- build a hash for a massive find / so that it would'nt have to make a
find for each users (would kill the machine).
- chown the results.
- End status.

I know i'm not the first one to do this :)

help a sysadmin in need.

Expect is your friend. If you are more comfortable with Perl then,
Expect.pm is available on CPAN. Expect has a short learning curve and
is very useful in automating tasks such as the ones you have mentioned.
Good luck.