I like jikes

Mike Amling

I do like jikes, but I've also gotten fond of Java 1.5. It occurs to
me that now that javac is open source, its support for Java 1.5
constructs could be ported to jikes, which is also open source. (Not
that I would expect that to be easy, nor even straightforward.)
I hope someone posts a reply that contains more useful information
than this message.

--Mike Amling

Tom Anderson

I do like jikes, but I've also gotten fond of Java 1.5. It occurs to me
that now that javac is open source, its support for Java 1.5 constructs could
be ported to jikes, which is also open source. (Not that I would expect that
to be easy, nor even straightforward.)
I hope someone posts a reply that contains more useful information than
this message.

When making caramel, you can prevent the sugar precipitating out of
solution by adding a small amount of acid, such as lemon juice or cream of
tartar.

HTH. HAND.

tom

Donkey Hottie

I do like jikes, but I've also gotten fond of Java 1.5. It occurs to
me that now that javac is open source, its support for Java 1.5
constructs could be ported to jikes, which is also open source. (Not
that I would expect that to be easy, nor even straightforward.)
I hope someone posts a reply that contains more useful information
than this message.

I use sun-java6 on all my machines. No need for kaffe or jikes, sun
stuff works perfectly fast and fine. Linuces tend to install some open
solutions by default, but they can always be changed to sun.

Arne Vajhøj

I do like jikes, but I've also gotten fond of Java 1.5. It occurs to me
that now that javac is open source, its support for Java 1.5 constructs
could be ported to jikes, which is also open source. (Not that I would
expect that to be easy, nor even straightforward.)
I hope someone posts a reply that contains more useful information than
this message.

The fact that SUN's Java compiler is now open source does
not really help other compilers much (unless they are written in
Java as well and under GPL license code can be reused).

There are not much big secrets in the Java compiler anyway.

I am no aware of anyone updating Jikes for 1.5/1.6.

Without having ever looked at the source code, then
my expectation would be that it would not be so hard
to update the compiler. It should be very basic
compiler stuff.

Arne

Roedy Green

I do like jikes, but I've also gotten fond of Java 1.5. It occurs to
me that now that javac is open source, its support for Java 1.5
constructs could be ported to jikes, which is also open source. (Not
that I would expect that to be easy, nor even straightforward.)
I hope someone posts a reply that contains more useful information
than this message.

ANT + Javac.exe 6 is so fast that the need for Jikes is not so
pressing.

What is needed is something to translate the abstruce Javac.exe error
messages into English. This might be a much simpler project than
porting all of Jikes. You take the various error messages and
transform and annotate them. You could use Jike's open source
wordings and the "translations" in the Java glossary under
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/compileerrormessages.html

You might optionally generate the error message in HTML as I do.