    Can a easy-install option perform this feature ?

    Thanks for your help,
    Stephane
    Klein Stéphane, Sep 20, 2009

  2. Klein Stéphane schrieb:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I look for a tools to do proxy cache like apt-proxy (for Debian Package)
    > but for python eggs package.
    >
    > Can a easy-install option perform this feature ?

    No. But you might install EggBasket, which is a PyPI-like server.

    http://www.chrisarndt.de/projects/eggbasket/

    However, it is *not* a proxy, and to the best of my knowledge that's not
    easily done anyway due to the way easy_install is working. It scrapes
    the website it is pointed to, and when it finds something it likes,
    follows that.

    Thus the server doesn't get an idea *what* easy_install is looking for,
    and thus can't relay the request to the "real" PyPI, fetching the egg,
    storing it locally, and then re-deliver it.

    Instead what we do with eggbasket is to copy all the eggs we obtained by
    other means into a central repository that he serves. Thus we have them
    backed-up & available even if PyPI or the actual package go away.

    Diez
    Diez B. Roggisch, Sep 20, 2009

  3. Klein Stéphane

    Steve Holden Guest

    Diez B. Roggisch wrote:
    > Klein Stéphane schrieb:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I look for a tools to do proxy cache like apt-proxy (for Debian
    >> Package) but for python eggs package.
    >>
    >> Can a easy-install option perform this feature ?

    > No. But you might install EggBasket, which is a PyPI-like server.
    >
    > http://www.chrisarndt.de/projects/eggbasket/
    >
    > However, it is *not* a proxy, and to the best of my knowledge that's not
    > easily done anyway due to the way easy_install is working. It scrapes
    > the website it is pointed to, and when it finds something it likes,
    > follows that.
    >
    > Thus the server doesn't get an idea *what* easy_install is looking for,
    > and thus can't relay the request to the "real" PyPI, fetching the egg,
    > storing it locally, and then re-deliver it.
    >
    > Instead what we do with eggbasket is to copy all the eggs we obtained by
    > other means into a central repository that he serves. Thus we have them
    > backed-up & available even if PyPI or the actual package go away.
    >
    > Diez

    Time that software came out of beta! What needs fixing before a release?

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119
    Steve Holden, Dec 20, 2009
  4. Klein Stéphane

    Steve Holden Guest

    Steve Holden, Dec 20, 2009