I look for proxy cache like apt-proxy (for Debian Package) but for python eggs package…

Klein Stéphane

Hi,

I look for a tools to do proxy cache like apt-proxy (for Debian Package) but for python eggs package.

Can a easy-install option perform this feature ?

Thanks for your help,
Stephane

Diez B. Roggisch

Klein said:
Hi,

I look for a tools to do proxy cache like apt-proxy (for Debian Package)
but for python eggs package.

Can a easy-install option perform this feature ?

No. But you might install EggBasket, which is a PyPI-like server.

http://www.chrisarndt.de/projects/eggbasket/

However, it is *not* a proxy, and to the best of my knowledge that's not
easily done anyway due to the way easy_install is working. It scrapes
the website it is pointed to, and when it finds something it likes,
follows that.

Thus the server doesn't get an idea *what* easy_install is looking for,
and thus can't relay the request to the "real" PyPI, fetching the egg,
storing it locally, and then re-deliver it.

Instead what we do with eggbasket is to copy all the eggs we obtained by
other means into a central repository that he serves. Thus we have them
backed-up & available even if PyPI or the actual package go away.

Diez

Steve Holden

Diez said:
No. But you might install EggBasket, which is a PyPI-like server.

http://www.chrisarndt.de/projects/eggbasket/

However, it is *not* a proxy, and to the best of my knowledge that's not
easily done anyway due to the way easy_install is working. It scrapes
the website it is pointed to, and when it finds something it likes,
follows that.

Thus the server doesn't get an idea *what* easy_install is looking for,
and thus can't relay the request to the "real" PyPI, fetching the egg,
storing it locally, and then re-deliver it.

Instead what we do with eggbasket is to copy all the eggs we obtained by
other means into a central repository that he serves. Thus we have them
backed-up & available even if PyPI or the actual package go away.

Diez

Time that software came out of beta! What needs fixing before a release?

regards
Steve

Steve Holden