I love "shelf" BUT

Sera Jackson

ok, I know its an over discussed topic. Althought I understand why it
is there I cant constantly see it in my argument list in parenthesis.

can someone give me an insight of the cons of a syntax like this:
class Class:
def self.method(arguments):
etc, etc

In other words def method(self, arg1, arg2 ,argN) becomes-> def
self.method(arg1, arg2 ,argN)

alex23

ok, I know its an over discussed topic. Althought I understand why it
is there I cant constantly see it in my argument list in parenthesis.

can someone give me an insight of the cons of a syntax like this:
class Class:
    def self.method(arguments):
        etc, etc

In other words def method(self, arg1, arg2 ,argN) becomes->  def
self.method(arg1, arg2 ,argN)

Did you bother to check the group? You would've noticed it's being
discussed -right now-:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_frm/thread/a5fa8ff0ffadd6ee/60e9dd04719e439a

And this -exact- suggestion has been turned down by Guido:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-3000/2006-April/000793.html

Sera Jackson

Did you bother to check the group? You would've noticed it's being
discussed -right now-:http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_frm/thread/a5f...

And this -exact- suggestion has been turned down by Guido:http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-3000/2006-April/000793.html

alex thank you very much!

I searched excessively python mailing list but unforurtunately I was
using <site:mail.python.org "def self method"> as query and I missed
it, although I knew it should had been there. I mostly found threads
insisting on a complete removal...

And I sincerely apologise for missing the discussion here, I was tired
digging python old mailing list. :D.

Lot of thanks again, that's what I wanted to find, arguments against
it, I was aware I wan not speaking of sth new.

alex23

Lot of thanks again, that's what I wanted to find, arguments against
it, I was aware I wan not speaking of sth new.

Guido seems to keep hinting that someone should write a PEP, just so
it can be officially denied and then there'll be a place to point to
when the question arises again (as it inevitably will...)

So if you wanna take a shot... :)