    Thanks
    Samuel (leuce)
    , Oct 5, 2012

  2. Lesley Binks Guest

    On Friday, 5 October 2012 16:07:59 UTC+1, Henry Law wrote:
    > On 05/10/12 14:13, wrote:
    >
    > > G'day everyone

    > > Where can I, as a non-perl user, post a question of the type "Where canI find a free script that does X", without stepping on toes?

    > Here: http://www.google.com/search?q=perl scripts free

    which regretfully shows the Matt's Script archive at the top of the list :((ouch! my toes! ;) ) Although Formail has been downloaded a lot, all of Matt's scripts have been heavily criticised in the past - mostly for lack of both robustness and secure behaviour.

    Most of the scripts haven't been updated since 1995 and are therefore hugely out of date; FormMail was last updated 3 years ago.

    I'm not sure what the OP means by a 'non-perl user' anyway.

    There are free scripts out there but it is difficult to know what sources to trust.

    But if the OP would like to learn perl or at least familiarise him/herself with good practices then learn.perl.org is a good start.

    Kind Regards

    Lesley
    Lesley Binks, Oct 5, 2012

  3. J. Gleixner Guest

    On 10/05/12 08:13, wrote:
    > G'day everyone
    >
    > Where can I, as a non-perl user, post a question of the type "Where can I find a free script that does X", without stepping on toes?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Samuel (leuce)

    How do you know you want to use Perl?

    Maybe it could be a simple Korn Shell script, or maybe Javascript,
    or you're on Windows and a Batch file will suffice.. Sure Perl can
    do just about anything, however not knowing a little more about
    what you want to do and what sort of limitations/constraints you
    have, it's tough to suggest where to go.

    Either provide what you want to do, at a high level, and maybe
    folks here will provide you with a solution and/or point
    you down the right path, or start using your favorite search
    engine, giving it as much information as you can. Using 'free'
    typically is a poor way to find programs that do a specific task,
    use some technical terms to help the search engine narrow the
    results.
    J. Gleixner, Oct 5, 2012
  4. Lesley Binks Guest

    On Friday, 5 October 2012 17:11:14 UTC+1, J. Gleixner wrote:
    > On 10/05/12 08:13, wrote:
    >
    > > G'day everyone

    > > Where can I, as a non-perl user, post a question of the type "Where can I find a free script that does X", without stepping on toes?

    > > Thanks

    > > Samuel (leuce)

    > How do you know you want to use Perl?
    >

    > Maybe it could be a simple Korn Shell script, or maybe Javascript,
    >
    > or you're on Windows and a Batch file will suffice.. Sure Perl can
    >
    > do just about anything, however not knowing a little more about
    >
    > what you want to do and what sort of limitations/constraints you
    >
    > have, it's tough to suggest where to go.
    >

    > Either provide what you want to do, at a high level, and maybe
    >
    > folks here will provide you with a solution and/or point
    >
    > you down the right path, or start using your favorite search
    >
    > engine, giving it as much information as you can. Using 'free'
    >
    > typically is a poor way to find programs that do a specific task,
    >
    > use some technical terms to help the search engine narrow the
    >
    > results.

    Well said :)

    Anyhow - here's a link to the nms project

    http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/

    which contains code by an experienced Perl coder and educator. Again it hasn't been updated in anyway since about 2006.

    Kind Regards

    Lesley
    Lesley Binks, Oct 7, 2012