    they don't cover simple, important stuff, like defining my own class
    and hooking it into my solution, or making an MFC project versus a
    managed project. TIA.

    F/32 Eurydice, Aug 20, 2010

  2. F/32 Eurydice

    Ian Collins Guest

    On 08/20/10 01:02 PM, F/32 Eurydice wrote:

    > Can anybody recommend a good text for teaching myself Visual C++ .Net
    > using Visual Studio 2008?

    I'm sure someone on a .net focused group can.

    --
    Ian Collins

    Ian Collins, Aug 20, 2010

  3. F/32 Eurydice

    joe Guest

    F/32 Eurydice wrote:
    > Can anybody recommend a good text for teaching myself Visual C++ .Net
    > using Visual Studio 2008? The books I've been looking at tell me to
    > manually do many of the functions that the IDE does automatically, and
    > they don't cover simple, important stuff, like defining my own class
    > and hooking it into my solution, or making an MFC project versus a
    > managed project. TIA.

    Well, this is going to be my (perhaps) "lame" answer. One of my first
    gigs as a developer/software engineer was on an already-begun project
    where VC++ was already chosen as a tool. At the time, I found "Advanced
    Visual C+++ 4" a worthy buy for my bookshelf/library (I still have it!).
    Maybe something recent from the same publisher is something to
    investigate (?). Of course I already had many other Windows programming
    books/tomes on my shelf. What I used to do a lot of was go into Borders
    and skim all of the books I found interesting and bought the ones I felt
    I could use as a reference. I purchased a lot of books over the years,
    but I digress.

    Anyway, you seem to be "buying into the marketing hype" that MS is trying
    to sell you. It's good to spark interest in potential software
    developers, it's quite another to present the situation to benefit one's
    self (not that I'm pointing a finger or suggesting any behavior). I think
    you may not have a good perspective of the software development
    landscape, because you mention PRODUCTS rather than goals/solutions. But
    maybe I'm just to "old skool" and my perspective of C++ as a fundamental
    tool (as compared to "Snap On open-end wrench" vs. "Matco open-end
    wrench") and learning "mechanics" (the "mechanics" of a programming
    language and SW development) principles, rather than "working on
    Microsoft cars" is outdated.

    For what it's worth. No charge. ;)

    joe, Aug 22, 2010