I need a way to uninstall IIS 7 (and ASP) under WOW64

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Rob, Sep 18, 2009.

  1. Rob

    Rob Guest

    About a couple of months ago, I posted this under the Web Services General
    forum, but so far, I haven't received any responses. I'm hoping that I have
    more luck under this forum, since ASP is involved, somewhat, in my problem.
    (I've also posted the question on Stack Overflow. No luck there, either.)
    -----------------
    In a Web server installer that I'm maintaining, we keep track of whether or
    not the installer had installed IIS 7 and/or ASP (under Vista or later) and
    save an appropriate value to the Registry if so. During an uninstall, if that
    value is there and no other Web sites are using IIS on that machine, the user
    is asked whether or not IIS/ASP is to be removed. If so, we remove whatever
    we installed.

    The following is the command that we launch in order to remove IIS 7 and ASP
    (line breaks added for clarity):
    C:\Windows\system32\pkgmgr.exe /norestart /uu:IIS-WebServerRole;
    IIS-WebServer;IIS-CommonHttpFeatures;IIS-StaticContent;
    IIS-DefaultDocument;IIS-DirectoryBrowsing;IIS-HttpErrors;
    IIS-ApplicationDevelopment;IIS-ASP;IIS-ISAPIExtensions;
    IIS-HealthAndDiagnostics;IIS-HttpLogging;IIS-LoggingLibraries;
    IIS-RequestMonitor;IIS-Security;IIS-RequestFiltering;
    IIS-HttpCompressionStatic;IIS-WebServerManagementTools;
    IIS-ManagementConsole;WAS-WindowsActivationService;
    WAS-ProcessModel;WAS-NetFxEnvironment;WAS-ConfigurationAPI

    This works fine on 32-bit systems but does not work at all on 64-bit
    systems, even with WOW64 redirection disabled. (Ignore the /norestart
    parameter, as the installer does a reboot at the end of the install if
    necessary.) I've even tried entering this command into an admin-level command
    prompt (without the /norestart parameter), but to no avail.

    The command that we use during the install to install IIS 7/ASP is similarly
    long, and it always works, so I can't imagine that the problem is that the
    uninstall command line is too long. (To test that theory, I even tried
    breaking the command into two commands, one to remove the ASP components only
    followed by one to remove the rest. Same problem, nothing was removed.)

    Is there some other command that would do what we want on 64-bit systems? If
    so, do we have to disable WOW64 redirection, and will it also work on 32-bit
    systems? (It will only be called on Vista and later systems. On earlier
    systems, we rely on the user making sure that IIS and ASP are pre-installed.)

    Rob, Sep 18, 2009

  2. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Never mind. It turns out that I had a problem in my install script that
    prevented the command from being launched, and when I did some manual tests
    to find out why the command supposedly wasn't working, I just wasn't waiting
    long enough. (The pkgmgr.exe command for removing IIS and ASP components that
    we're using takes about a couple of minutes, which I wasn't aware of at the
    time that I posted this question.)

    Rob, Sep 21, 2009