I need an advice on formalizing address

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Sam Sungshik Kong, Nov 23, 2004.

  1. Hello!

    My company has a database with customer information (SQL Server 7.0).
    My boss wants me to formalize the address (USA address).

    The street address format is like this (city, state, zip are not my
    concern).
    (I know that there will be exceptions and I will ignore them if I can
    recognize them to be exceptional.)

    street_number [direction] street_name [street_suffix] [suite_mark]
    [suite_number]

    For example:
    123 N. Wilshire Blvd. # 707

    Variations:
    123 North Wilshire Blvd. Ste. 707
    123 North Wilshire Boulevard Suite 707

    (even, "North" can be name of street)

    I think I need to analyze variation sets for different cases and use regex
    to replace.

    Does anyone have this kind of experience?

    TIA.
    Sam

    Sam Sungshik Kong, Nov 23, 2004

  2. Sam Sungshik Kong

    Guest

    * Sam Sungshik Kong <> [2004-11-23 09:53:08 +0900]:

    > street_number [direction] street_name [street_suffix] [suite_mark]
    > [suite_number]
    >
    > For example:
    > 123 N. Wilshire Blvd. # 707
    >
    > Variations:
    > 123 North Wilshire Blvd. Ste. 707
    > 123 North Wilshire Boulevard Suite 707
    >
    > (even, "North" can be name of street)

    Don't forget Utah adresses:

    190 N 200 W
    Orem, UT 12345

    Usually misinterpreted as 190 N on 200 West Street.
    But it could also be 200 W on 190 North Street. :)

    The adresses are actually coordinates.

    --
    Jim Freeze
    Code Red. Code Ruby

    , Nov 23, 2004

  3. <> wrote in message news:...
    >* Sam Sungshik Kong <> [2004-11-23 09:53:08 +0900]:
    >
    >> street_number [direction] street_name [street_suffix] [suite_mark]
    >> [suite_number]
    >>
    >> For example:
    >> 123 N. Wilshire Blvd. # 707
    >>
    >> Variations:
    >> 123 North Wilshire Blvd. Ste. 707
    >> 123 North Wilshire Boulevard Suite 707
    >>
    >> (even, "North" can be name of street)

    > Don't forget Utah adresses:
    >
    > 190 N 200 W
    > Orem, UT 12345
    >
    > Usually misinterpreted as 190 N on 200 West Street.
    > But it could also be 200 W on 190 North Street. :)
    >
    > The adresses are actually coordinates.
    >
    > --
    > Jim Freeze
    > Code Red. Code Ruby

    Hmmm. I've never seen such type of address.
    I'll consider that.

    Thanks...

    Sam

    Sam Sungshik Kong, Nov 23, 2004
  4. On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 02:38:02AM +0900, Sam Sungshik Kong scribed:

    > > Don't forget Utah adresses:
    > >
    > > 190 N 200 W
    > > Orem, UT 12345
    > >
    > > Usually misinterpreted as 190 N on 200 West Street.
    > > But it could also be 200 W on 190 North Street. :)
    > >
    > > The adresses are actually coordinates.

    Although one is a street and one is a street address.
    You just don't know which. It's _likely_ that the more
    round number is the street, but without a street guide,
    you can't be 100% sure. For instance, an address like:

    1105 E 4800 S

    is probably on the street "4800 S"

    But luckily, you don't need to worry about it unless you're
    trying to map things, since the coordinate statement _is_
    the canonical form of the address.

    I miss coordinate addresses and a grid system. :)

    -Dave

    --
    work: me:
    MIT Laboratory for Computer Science http://www.angio.net/

    David G. Andersen, Nov 23, 2004
  5. On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 03:02:51 +0900, David G. Andersen <> wrote:
    > On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 02:38:02AM +0900, Sam Sungshik Kong scribed:
    > > > Don't forget Utah adresses:
    > > >
    > > > 190 N 200 W
    > > > Orem, UT 12345
    > > >
    > > > Usually misinterpreted as 190 N on 200 West Street.
    > > > But it could also be 200 W on 190 North Street. :)
    > > >
    > > > The adresses are actually coordinates.

    > Although one is a street and one is a street address.
    > You just don't know which. It's _likely_ that the more
    > round number is the street, but without a street guide,
    > you can't be 100% sure. For instance, an address like:
    >
    > 1105 E 4800 S
    >
    > is probably on the street "4800 S"
    >
    > But luckily, you don't need to worry about it unless you're
    > trying to map things, since the coordinate statement _is_
    > the canonical form of the address.
    >
    > I miss coordinate addresses and a grid system. :)

    Also common in Canada is this:

    200-55 University St.

    This is NOT 200 University St. #55, but 55 University St. #200.

    -austin
    --
    Austin Ziegler *
    * Alternate:

    Austin Ziegler, Nov 23, 2004
  6. Sam Sungshik Kong

    Aredridel Guest

    > Also common in Canada is this:
    >
    > 200-55 University St.
    >
    > This is NOT 200 University St. #55, but 55 University St. #200.

    Also, the annoying Brevé Ridgway address:

    81432-0471

    No box, no street, just zip+4. Translation is "Box 471", but that's
    not neccesary and often not specified...

    .. and some of the really rural places, it's

    Name
    (.*)
    XXXXX Island, ST, 12345

    Where the middle part doesn't matter at all, because everyone walks to
    the post anyway.

    Aredridel, Nov 23, 2004