    Thanks!

    Mike
    , May 23, 2007

  2. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed writing in

    > Hi,
    >
    > I need an HTML editor, preferably with WYSIWIG editing that will allow
    > me to make changes to a template, and have whatever changes I make to
    > the template roll through all the pages on the hard drive. (Or the
    > pages I want, anyway.)

    CSS + SSI

    > For example, if I want to change the links at the top of my home page,
    > I shouldn't have to go through all of the pages and change the links
    > at the top of every one.

    CSS + SSI

    > I'm aware of "server side includes", but I can't find anything that
    > will "include" changes to the files on my local computer.

    SSI is still your friend. Install a scripting language on your system,
    like PHP, and install a web server on your system as well. The include
    for PHP is really simple:
    <? php include file = "file_to_include.php" ?>

    > Any recommendations to an HTML editor would be appreciated!

    I suggest a plain text editor, especially if you are doing anything
    server side, like includes. Plain text editors also usually don't mess
    with your markup the way that WYSIWYMGs do.

    > Other needs: if possible, I'd like to keep the cost down to under a
    > couple hundred, I'm reasonably familiar with HTML, just OK with CSS,
    > but I really just want to put up a simple website without having to go
    > through a big learning curve.

    There are plenty of free editors out there. I like HTML-Kit
    <http://www.chami.com/html-kit> plus TopStyle for CSS
    <http://www.bradsoft.com/top-style/>. There is a free version that
    integrates with HTML-Kit, and a lot of other editors as well.

    > Thanks!

    You're welcome. HTH.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home