I need GD for Redhat 9

Jim Rendant

I downloaded the GD module from CPAN and tried to compile it on redhat 9 and
it fails. Where can I get a pre-compiled version of this module?

I am also looking to run the GD::barcode module. Is this also pre compiled?

Have a great day!
Jim Rendant

Mina Naguib

Gregory Toomey

Jim Rendant said:
I downloaded the GD module from CPAN and tried to compile it on redhat 9 and
it fails. Where can I get a pre-compiled version of this module?

I am also looking to run the GD::barcode module. Is this also pre compiled?

Have a great day!
Jim Rendant

I had some trouble as well. There seems to be lots of "addons" in the latest
version.

Version 1.19 (the last version with gif support) installed OK for me on
Redhat 9.
See GD-1.19-* at http://cpan.org/modules/by-module/GD/

gtoomey

Martien Verbruggen

I had some trouble as well. There seems to be lots of "addons" in the latest
version.

Version 1.19 (the last version with gif support) installed OK for me on
Redhat 9.
See GD-1.19-* at http://cpan.org/modules/by-module/GD/

Any GD with a version number below 2 should compile with the libgd
that comes with Redhat 9, which I believe is 1.84. You don't have to
go all the way back to 1.19 (you should only need to do that if you
want GIF support, and you have a libgd that supports GIF, but you
should not want to have GIF support).

\begin{offtopic}

If you want a newer version, i.e. the latest, download libgd yourself
(from www.boutell.com), compile and install it somewhere out of the
way (I have some versions in /opt/gd-x.yy), and then download and
compile the GD 2.x version you want, making sure to tell it where the
correct libgd is installed. Off the top of my head, the sequence is
somewhat like this:

$ tar xzvf gd-x.yy.tar.gz
$ cd gd-x.yy
$ ./configure --prefix=/wherever/you/want
$ make
# become root
$ make install

\end{offtopic}

and for GD, just type perl Makefile.pl, and answer the first question
with /whatever/you/want/lib

Martien

Owen

On 07 Aug 2003 23:23:08 GMT

I haven't had any luck yet installing on a Mdk 9.1 system, I get this apparantly circular problem

cpan> install GD
<snip>
Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good
Warning: prerequisite Math::Trig 1 not found.

cpan> install Math::Trig
CPAN: Storable loaded ok
Going to read /root/.cpan/Metadata
Database was generated on Fri, 08 Aug 2003 05:44:51 GMT
Math::Trig is up to date.

Any comment that would unravel this mystery would be appreciated.

TIA

Owen

Devdas Bhagat

Don't know about RH9, but I've just managed to get GD installed on RH8,
and it was a right pain! The latest perl GD module won't work because
the gd-lib version on RH8 (and I think 9) is too old. I managed to
Right. I did this for RH 7.3:
Download the RedHat Rawhide GD source rpm.
rpm --rebuild gd-2.0.12-src.rpm

Install the binary.
Install XFree86-devel, libpng-devel, libjpeg-devel and freetype-devel and
gd-devel.
#perl -MCPAN -e'install GD'
Works fine for me.

Devdas Bhagat

Matt DeFoor

Devdas Bhagat said:
Right. I did this for RH 7.3:
Download the RedHat Rawhide GD source rpm.
rpm --rebuild gd-2.0.12-src.rpm

Install the binary.
Install XFree86-devel, libpng-devel, libjpeg-devel and freetype-devel and
gd-devel.
#perl -MCPAN -e'install GD'
Works fine for me.

The Perl distribution that comes with RH9 is seriously broken. There
is a problem with Config.pm. Compiling most modules won't work. If you
are using RH9, I'd recommend rebuilding Perl from source.

-mattd

Matt Garrish

Matt DeFoor said:
The Perl distribution that comes with RH9 is seriously broken.

Many things in RH9 seem to be seriously broken. I also couldn't install the
DBD::ODBC driver without first reinstalling Qt from source and then
reinstalling unixODBC. I think they're becoming more interested in charging
for access to RHN than in putting out a working product. Sounds like another
company I know...

Matt