    I am also looking to run the GD::barcode module. Is this also pre compiled?

    Have a great day!
    Jim Rendant
    Jim Rendant, Aug 7, 2003

  2. Jim Rendant

    Mina Naguib Guest

    Mina Naguib, Aug 7, 2003

  3. "Jim Rendant" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I downloaded the GD module from CPAN and tried to compile it on redhat 9

    and
    > it fails. Where can I get a pre-compiled version of this module?
    >
    > I am also looking to run the GD::barcode module. Is this also pre

    compiled?

    > Have a great day!
    > Jim Rendant

    I had some trouble as well. There seems to be lots of "addons" in the latest
    version.

    Version 1.19 (the last version with gif support) installed OK for me on
    Redhat 9.
    See GD-1.19-* at http://cpan.org/modules/by-module/GD/

    gtoomey
    Gregory Toomey, Aug 7, 2003
  4. On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 21:51:28 +1000,
    Gregory Toomey <> wrote:
    > "Jim Rendant" <> wrote in message
    >> I downloaded the GD module from CPAN and tried to compile it on redhat 9

    > and
    >> it fails. Where can I get a pre-compiled version of this module?
    >>
    >> I am also looking to run the GD::barcode module. Is this also pre

    > compiled?
    >>
    >> Have a great day!
    >> Jim Rendant

    > I had some trouble as well. There seems to be lots of "addons" in the latest
    > version.
    >
    > Version 1.19 (the last version with gif support) installed OK for me on
    > Redhat 9.
    > See GD-1.19-* at http://cpan.org/modules/by-module/GD/

    Any GD with a version number below 2 should compile with the libgd
    that comes with Redhat 9, which I believe is 1.84. You don't have to
    go all the way back to 1.19 (you should only need to do that if you
    want GIF support, and you have a libgd that supports GIF, but you
    should not want to have GIF support).

    \begin{offtopic}

    If you want a newer version, i.e. the latest, download libgd yourself
    (from www.boutell.com), compile and install it somewhere out of the
    way (I have some versions in /opt/gd-x.yy), and then download and
    compile the GD 2.x version you want, making sure to tell it where the
    correct libgd is installed. Off the top of my head, the sequence is
    somewhat like this:

    $ tar xzvf gd-x.yy.tar.gz
    $ cd gd-x.yy
    $ ./configure --prefix=/wherever/you/want
    $ make
    # become root
    $ make install

    \end{offtopic}

    and for GD, just type perl Makefile.pl, and answer the first question
    with /whatever/you/want/lib

    Martien
    --

    Martien Verbruggen | Never hire a poor lawyer. Never buy from a
    Trading Post Australia | rich salesperson.

    Martien Verbruggen, Aug 8, 2003
  5. Jim Rendant

    Owen Guest

    On 07 Aug 2003 23:23:08 GMT
    Martien Verbruggen <> wrote:

    I haven't had any luck yet installing on a Mdk 9.1 system, I get this apparantly circular problem

    cpan> install GD
    <snip>
    Checking if your kit is complete...
    Looks good
    Warning: prerequisite Math::Trig 1 not found.

    cpan> install Math::Trig
    CPAN: Storable loaded ok
    Going to read /root/.cpan/Metadata
    Database was generated on Fri, 08 Aug 2003 05:44:51 GMT
    Math::Trig is up to date.

    Any comment that would unravel this mystery would be appreciated.

    TIA

    Owen
    Owen, Aug 9, 2003
  6. On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 12:56:50 +0100, Simon Andrews <>
    poured into the usenet group comp.lang.perl.misc:

    > Jim Rendant wrote:
    >> I downloaded the GD module from CPAN and tried to compile it on redhat 9 and
    >> it fails. Where can I get a pre-compiled version of this module?

    > Don't know about RH9, but I've just managed to get GD installed on RH8,
    > and it was a right pain! The latest perl GD module won't work because
    > the gd-lib version on RH8 (and I think 9) is too old. I managed to

    Right. I did this for RH 7.3:
    Download the RedHat Rawhide GD source rpm.
    rpm --rebuild gd-2.0.12-src.rpm

    Install the binary.
    Install XFree86-devel, libpng-devel, libjpeg-devel and freetype-devel and
    gd-devel.
    #perl -MCPAN -e'install GD'
    Works fine for me.

    Devdas Bhagat
    Devdas Bhagat, Aug 14, 2003
  7. Jim Rendant

    Matt DeFoor Guest

    Devdas Bhagat <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 12:56:50 +0100, Simon Andrews <>
    > poured into the usenet group comp.lang.perl.misc:
    > >
    > > Jim Rendant wrote:
    > >> I downloaded the GD module from CPAN and tried to compile it on redhat 9 and
    > >> it fails. Where can I get a pre-compiled version of this module?

    > > Don't know about RH9, but I've just managed to get GD installed on RH8,
    > > and it was a right pain! The latest perl GD module won't work because
    > > the gd-lib version on RH8 (and I think 9) is too old. I managed to

    > Right. I did this for RH 7.3:
    > Download the RedHat Rawhide GD source rpm.
    > rpm --rebuild gd-2.0.12-src.rpm
    >
    > Install the binary.
    > Install XFree86-devel, libpng-devel, libjpeg-devel and freetype-devel and
    > gd-devel.
    > #perl -MCPAN -e'install GD'
    > Works fine for me.

    The Perl distribution that comes with RH9 is seriously broken. There
    is a problem with Config.pm. Compiling most modules won't work. If you
    are using RH9, I'd recommend rebuilding Perl from source.

    -mattd
    Matt DeFoor, Aug 14, 2003
  8. Jim Rendant

    Matt Garrish Guest

    "Matt DeFoor" <> wrote in message

    > The Perl distribution that comes with RH9 is seriously broken.

    Many things in RH9 seem to be seriously broken. I also couldn't install the
    DBD::ODBC driver without first reinstalling Qt from source and then
    reinstalling unixODBC. I think they're becoming more interested in charging
    for access to RHN than in putting out a working product. Sounds like another
    company I know...

    Matt
    Matt Garrish, Aug 14, 2003