I need help with architecture design,please.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Julia, Sep 4, 2004.

  1. Julia

    Julia Guest

    I need help with architecture design,please:

    I have a server which constantly downloading messages from the internet
    and store them inside a data base.

    the server have two administrators options:
    one is a local windows application,and the second is a web application
    The administrator can either delete messages,add new messages,and send
    messages

    i am new to .NET remoting,so here is my idea in general:

    1.Create singleton MessagesServer remotable object which act as my server
    and hosted by an exe application
    2.For Windows admin application, just connect to the singleton object and
    admin it
    3.For the web admin application,using ASP,NET pages,connect to the
    MessagesServer and admin it
    (I cannot install .NET components on this machine so i must use server
    side code?)

    My questions are:

    1.Can I create in .NET something similar to COM out proc server (activex
    exe),which mean that when the admin application
    will create the MessagesServer,than the exe which hosting MessagesServer
    will start?

    2.Assuming the window admin application is local to the MessagesServer,can
    i just pack the MessagesServer object
    into the window admin executbale,so it will be local to the window
    application.,but remote for the web application?

    3.When using Web application,what is the best way to access the data
    base,should I do it
    using the MessagesServer,for example MessagesServer.GetMessages() as
    ArrayList
    or can I go directly to the data base(I guess I will have some
    synchronization issues here!?)

    4.Regarding locks,assuming i have one thread in the MessagesServer object
    which access the data base,and than a request from the
    Web application is arrived to write to the data base,can i control the
    time
    in which the request will return to the web application?

    5.Can you point me to some articels or examples which describe a similar
    problem?

    The overall architecture is something similar to Exchange server/OWA i
    guess.

    Thanks.
    Julia, Sep 4, 2004

  2. Are you that desperate that you need to post this message to this many
    newsgroups?

    Have a look at webservices, this ideally what you need to implement. I would
    recommend it over a remoting interface since you have no control over the
    web app client which makes remoting less ideal for your situation.

    --
    Regards,
    Alvin Bruney

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], Sep 7, 2004

  3. Julia

    Julia Guest

    Why? can't i call remoting object from an ASP.NET page?
    The WebApp client will access the object only though a server side code.

    Thanks.

    Julia, Sep 8, 2004
  4. > Why? can't i call remoting object from an ASP.NET page?
    sure you can. the remoting route is a viable alternative as well. I've
    already listed the reason for my recommendations.

    --
    Regards,
    Alvin Bruney

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], Sep 8, 2004