I need help with compile errors for game please

Discussion in 'Java' started by judith, Nov 4, 2006.

  1. judith

    judith Guest

    MSN Home | My MSN | Hotmail |
    Shopping | Money | People & Chat
    Web Search:

    Hotmail
    Today Mail Calendar Contacts
    Options | Help

    Messenger: Offline
    Free Newsletters

    Reply | Reply All | Forward | Delete | This is not Junk | Put in
    Folder | Print View

    Inbox
    Sent Messages
    Drafts
    Trash Can

    judith, Nov 4, 2006

  2. judith

    Ralf Seitner Guest

    Hi!
    >> //projectJS.java
    >>
    >> package chapter14;
    >>
    >> import java.awt.*;
    >>
    >> public class projectJS

    Code is more readable, if you stick to the coding conventions. E.g.:
    Class names start with an upper-case letter. So ProjectJS would be better.
    >> {
    >> public static final Color darkGreen = new Color(0, 128, 0),
    >> lightYellow = new Color(255, 255, 128);
    >> public static WinningsPanel winningsPanel =
    >> new WinningsPanel();
    >> public static BoardPanel boardPanel =
    >> new BoardPanel();;
    >>
    >> public static void main(String[] args)
    >> {
    >> GameFrame frame = new GameFrame("Card Game of War",
    >> boardPanel, winningsPanel);
    >>
    >> frame.display();
    >> }
    >> }
    >>
    >> Here are the compile errors and i don't know how to fix them since i
    >> copied the program right out of the book Learning Java Through
    >> Applications. If anyone can help i would appreciate it Judith Spurlock
    >>
    >> C:\>javac projectJS.java
    >> projectJS.java:9: cannot find symbol
    >> symbol : class WinningsPanel
    >> location: class chapter14.projectJS
    >> public static WinningsPanel winningsPanel =

    Probably class "WinningsPanel" is not in the same package as class
    "projectJS". So either move "WinningsPanel" to package that contains
    "projectJS" or import it.
    >> ^
    >> projectJS.java:11: cannot find symbol
    >> symbol : class BoardPanel
    >> location: class chapter14.projectJS
    >> public static BoardPanel boardPanel =

    Same here.
    >> ^
    >> projectJS.java:10: cannot find symbol
    >> symbol : class winningsPanel
    >> location: class chapter14.projectJS
    >> new winningsPanel();

    Java is case-sensitive. That means it is a difference whether you write
    "new WinningsPanel();" or "new winningsPanel()". The class' name is
    "WinningsPanel", so "new WinningsPanel()" is correct. Class
    "winningsPanel" does not exist.
    >> ^
    >> projectJS.java:12: cannot find symbol
    >> symbol : class boardPanel
    >> location: class chapter14.projectJS
    >> new boardPanel();;

    Same here.
    >> ^
    >> projectJS.java:16: cannot find symbol
    >> symbol : class GameFrame
    >> location: class chapter14.projectJS
    >> GameFrame frame = new gameFrame("Card Game of War",

    Same here.
    >> ^
    >> projectJS.java:16: cannot find symbol
    >> symbol : class gameFrame
    >> location: class chapter14.projectJS
    >> GameFrame frame = new gameFrame("Card Game of War",

    Same here.

    Hope that helps.
    bye, Ralf
    ^