I need help with compile errors for game please

judith

(e-mail address removed) MSN Home | My MSN | Hotmail |
Shopping | Money | People & Chat
Web Search:

Hotmail
Today Mail Calendar Contacts
Options | Help

(e-mail address removed) Messenger: Offline
Free Newsletters

Reply | Reply All | Forward | Delete | This is not Junk | Put in
Folder | Print View

Inbox
Sent Messages
Drafts
Trash Can
judith said:
Hello again. I've only included 2 of the 13 programs for this game.
The main program projectJS.java is giving me compile errors and the
other program named GameFrame.java containing the following information
private BoardPanel boardPanel;
private WinningsPanel winningsPanel;
public GameFrame(String name, BoardPanel boardPanel, WinningsPanel
winningsPanel)

is connected to main somehow but i don't understand how to fix the errors
here are the two programs and here are the compile errors. If Anyone can help i really would appreciate it. The program came directly out of a book called Learning Java through Applications and it doesn't work Thanks Judith Spurlock
//GameFrame.java
package chapter14;

import java.awt.*;
import java.awt.event.*;
import javax.swing.*;
import static chapter14.projectJS.*;

class GameFrame implements ActionListener
{
private static final int GAP = 20, WIDTH = 450, HEIGHT = 380;
private JFrame frame;
private JMenuItem newGameItem = new JMenuItem("New Game"),
shuffleItem = new JMenuItem("Shuffle"),
exitItem = new JMenuItem("Exit");
private BoardPanel boardPanel;
private WinningsPanel winningsPanel;

public GameFrame(String name, BoardPanel boardPanel,
WinningsPanel winningsPanel)
{
JMenu gameMenu = new JMenu("Game");
JMenuBar menuBar = new JMenuBar();;

this.boardPanel = boardPanel;
this.winningsPanel = winningsPanel;
frame = new JFrame(name);
frame.setSize(HEIGHT, WIDTH);
frame.getContentPane().setLayout(
new FlowLayout(FlowLayout.CENTER, GAP, GAP));
frame.getContentPane().setBackground(darkGreen);
gameMenu.add(newGameItem);
gameMenu.add(shuffleItem);
gameMenu.add(exitItem);
menuBar.add(gameMenu);
newGameItem.addActionListener(this);
shuffleItem.addActionListener(this);
exitItem.addActionListener(this);
frame.setJMenuBar(menuBar);
frame.setSize(WIDTH, HEIGHT);
frame.add(boardPanel, BorderLayout.NORTH);
frame.add(winningsPanel, BorderLayout.SOUTH);
}
public void actionPerformed(ActionEvent event)
{
Object object = event.getSource();

if (object == newGameItem)
{
boardPanel.shuffle();
winningsPanel.init();
frame.repaint();
}
else if (object == shuffleItem)
{
boardPanel.shuffle();
frame.repaint();
}
else if (object == exitItem)
frame.setVisible(false);
}
public void display()
{
frame.setVisible(true);
//projectJS.java

package chapter14;

import java.awt.*;

public class projectJS
{
public static final Color darkGreen = new Color(0, 128, 0),
lightYellow = new Color(255, 255, 128);
public static WinningsPanel winningsPanel =
new WinningsPanel();
public static BoardPanel boardPanel =
new BoardPanel();;

public static void main(String[] args)
{
GameFrame frame = new GameFrame("Card Game of War",
boardPanel, winningsPanel);

frame.display();

Here are the compile errors and i don't know how to fix them since i
copied the program right out of the book Learning Java Through
Applications. If anyone can help i would appreciate it Judith Spurlock

C:\>javac projectJS.java
projectJS.java:9: cannot find symbol
symbol : class WinningsPanel
location: class chapter14.projectJS
public static WinningsPanel winningsPanel =
^
projectJS.java:11: cannot find symbol
symbol : class BoardPanel
location: class chapter14.projectJS
public static BoardPanel boardPanel =
^
projectJS.java:10: cannot find symbol
symbol : class winningsPanel
location: class chapter14.projectJS
new winningsPanel();
^
projectJS.java:12: cannot find symbol
symbol : class boardPanel
location: class chapter14.projectJS
new boardPanel();;
^
projectJS.java:16: cannot find symbol
symbol : class GameFrame
location: class chapter14.projectJS
GameFrame frame = new gameFrame("Card Game of War",
^
projectJS.java:16: cannot find symbol
symbol : class gameFrame
location: class chapter14.projectJS
GameFrame frame = new gameFrame("Card Game of War",
^
6 errors

C:\>

Ralf Seitner

Hi!Code is more readable, if you stick to the coding conventions. E.g.:
Class names start with an upper-case letter. So ProjectJS would be better.
{
public static final Color darkGreen = new Color(0, 128, 0),
lightYellow = new Color(255, 255, 128);
public static WinningsPanel winningsPanel =
new WinningsPanel();
public static BoardPanel boardPanel =
new BoardPanel();;

public static void main(String[] args)
{
GameFrame frame = new GameFrame("Card Game of War",
boardPanel, winningsPanel);

frame.display();

Here are the compile errors and i don't know how to fix them since i
copied the program right out of the book Learning Java Through
Applications. If anyone can help i would appreciate it Judith Spurlock

C:\>javac projectJS.java
projectJS.java:9: cannot find symbol
symbol : class WinningsPanel
location: class chapter14.projectJS
public static WinningsPanel winningsPanel =
Probably class "WinningsPanel" is not in the same package as class
"projectJS". So either move "WinningsPanel" to package that contains
"projectJS" or import it.Java is case-sensitive. That means it is a difference whether you write
"new WinningsPanel();" or "new winningsPanel()". The class' name is
"WinningsPanel", so "new WinningsPanel()" is correct. Class
"winningsPanel" does not exist.Same here.

Hope that helps.
bye, Ralf
^