I need help with PDF::API2 to make a PDF file navigation aide

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Ted Byers, Dec 11, 2008.

  1. Ted Byers

    Ted Byers Guest

    I have used this, along with a couple other of the PDF modules, to
    create what are now rather large PDF files. They are a bit tedious to
    scroll through, so what I want to do now is create something like a
    table of contents that is always displayed in a narrow strip along the
    left margin that allows the reader to simply select an item in that
    window and have the corresponding page appear in the main window. But
    unlike a conventional table of contents, it would never appear at the
    beginning of the document in the main window (and unlike an index, it
    would never appear at the end of the document).

    What is the normal term for this 'object' in the PDF documentation?
    How do I create it (or is it always present even if not visible, in a
    PDF file created by new('filename.pdf')), and how do I specify that
    this page, but not that page, should be linked to it with this title?

    Thanks

    Ted
    Ted Byers, Dec 11, 2008

  2. On 2008-12-11 22:30, Ted Byers <> wrote:
    > I have used this, along with a couple other of the PDF modules, to
    > create what are now rather large PDF files. They are a bit tedious to
    > scroll through, so what I want to do now is create something like a
    > table of contents that is always displayed in a narrow strip along the
    > left margin that allows the reader to simply select an item in that
    > window and have the corresponding page appear in the main window. But
    > unlike a conventional table of contents, it would never appear at the
    > beginning of the document in the main window (and unlike an index, it
    > would never appear at the end of the document).
    >
    > What is the normal term for this 'object' in the PDF documentation?

    I think in PDF::API2 it's called an "outline", although normally the term
    "bookmark" is more common.

    > How do I create it (or is it always present even if not visible, in a
    > PDF file created by new('filename.pdf')), and how do I specify that
    > this page, but not that page, should be linked to it with this title?

    perldoc PDF::API2
    perldoc PDF::API2::Outlines
    perldoc PDF::API2::Outline

    unfortunately the docs are very terse.

    hp
    Peter J. Holzer, Dec 14, 2008

  3. Ted Byers

    Ted Byers Guest

    On Dec 14, 5:47 am, "Peter J. Holzer" <> wrote:
    > On 2008-12-11 22:30, Ted Byers <> wrote:
    >
    > > I have used this, along with a couple other of the PDF modules, to
    > > create what are now rather large PDF files.  They are a bit tedious to
    > > scroll through, so what I want to do now is create something like a
    > > table of contents that is always displayed in a narrow strip along the
    > > left margin that allows the reader to simply select an item in that
    > > window and have the corresponding page appear in the main window.  But
    > > unlike a conventional table of contents, it would never appear at the
    > > beginning of the document in the main window (and unlike an index, it
    > > would never appear at the end of the document).

    > > What is the normal term for this 'object' in the PDF documentation?

    > I think in PDF::API2 it's called an "outline", although normally the term
    > "bookmark" is more common.
    >
    > > How do I create it (or is it always present even if not visible, in a
    > > PDF file created by new('filename.pdf')), and how do I specify that
    > > this page, but not that page, should be linked to it with this title?

    > perldoc PDF::API2
    > perldoc PDF::API2::Outlines
    > perldoc PDF::API2::Outline
    >
    > unfortunately the docs are very terse.
    >
    >         hp

    You're right. To say the documentation is terse is a gross
    understatement!

    Have you used PDF__API2 to create an outline?
    Ted Byers, Dec 16, 2008
  4. On 2008-12-16 21:03, Ted Byers <> wrote:
    > On Dec 14, 5:47 am, "Peter J. Holzer" <> wrote:
    >> On 2008-12-11 22:30, Ted Byers <> wrote:
    >> > How do I create it (or is it always present even if not visible, in a
    >> > PDF file created by new('filename.pdf')), and how do I specify that
    >> > this page, but not that page, should be linked to it with this title?

    >> perldoc PDF::API2
    >> perldoc PDF::API2::Outlines
    >> perldoc PDF::API2::Outline
    >>
    >> unfortunately the docs are very terse.

    > You're right. To say the documentation is terse is a gross
    > understatement!
    >
    > Have you used PDF__API2 to create an outline?

    No. So far I've used PDF::API2 only to create very short PDFs, which
    didn't need an outline. I have created PDFs with outlines with
    PDF::Create, but PDF::Create was unmaintained even when I used it many
    years ago, and very limited, so I can't recommend it (checking CPAN ...
    oh, it was updated this year - maybe I should look at it again).

    hp
    Peter J. Holzer, Dec 17, 2008