I need java floppy sized

delusion

I have a problem in that I do not have the internet and I have no
means of splitting files on the machine I do have for downloading
archives. This means that I am relying on split files already online
which are less than 1.4mb in size.

I need both the windows version of jdk and the linux version of jdk
and also the documentation in floppy sized chunks.

I have found:

http://www.shu.ac.uk/schools/cms/teaching/mp/jdkexe/jdkfloppies.htm

but this is only version 1.1.7 (non-swing).

I was wondering if anyone could help me by putting it on a server
somewhere?

or ...

Maybe you could advise me as to how I can split files without being
able to run a file splitter. I may be able to run a small program off
a floppy here but it's not as if I'll be able to install any software.

Dan Fisher

Gordon Beaton

Maybe you could advise me as to how I can split files without being
able to run a file splitter. I may be able to run a small program
off a floppy here but it's not as if I'll be able to install any
software.

You're a lot better off learning how to split files, than to be
dependent on finding software in floppy-sized pieces.

Which OS runs on your download machine? On Linux, you can use dd or
split -b.

On windows I have no idea, but there are likely several such programs
freely available for download.

/gordon

Thomas Schodt

Do any IT mags ever include the Java SDK on the CD?
Hmm, probably not.

Get someone to download the SDK and stick it on a CD-R for you.

If you insist on floppies, i think winzip will archive onto floppies.

Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes

delusion said:
I have a problem in that I do not have the internet and I have no
means of splitting files on the machine I do have for downloading
archives. This means that I am relying on split files already online
which are less than 1.4mb in size.
I need both the windows version of jdk and the linux version of jdk
and also the documentation in floppy sized chunks.
I have found:
http://www.shu.ac.uk/schools/cms/teaching/mp/jdkexe/jdkfloppies.htm
but this is only version 1.1.7 (non-swing).
I was wondering if anyone could help me by putting it on a server
somewhere?
or ...
Maybe you could advise me as to how I can split files without being
able to run a file splitter. I may be able to run a small program off
a floppy here but it's not as if I'll be able to install any software.

If you're willing to spend a few bucks, you can order the Sun ONE
Starter Kit <http://wwws.sun.com/software/sunone/starterkit/>, which is
$29.95 and has CDROMs with the JDK for Windoze and Linux, and a bunch of
articles, tutorials, and videos.

However, by that point you might as well get a decent broadband ISP
(I'm sure they have those even in the UK) so you can download software.

sylvain

Maybe you could advise me as to how I can split files without being
able to run a file splitter. I may be able to run a small program off
a floppy here but it's not as if I'll be able to install any software.

if you are running win, then try download the filesplitter program
*without* installer at http://www.dekabyte.com/filesplitter/download.html .
You don't need to install anything, just run the executable (why not from a
floppy...)

HTH

Roedy Green

If you have the Java source code, you can convert it to a standalone
executable with Jet that does not even need a runtime.

You might have to avoid any sort of GUI interface to squeeze it into
1.44 MB.

Consider putting it on a self contained CD.