I need project management tool

Discussion in 'Java' started by dgront, Jan 4, 2008.

  1. dgront

    dgront Guest

    Dear Group,

    just recently I realized that I need a tool for managing my project. I
    am writing to this group since the project is Java-based. This is
    however unimportant and I could post this mail to comp.lang.c++ or
    somewhere else. Please tell me if you think there is a better group to
    post.

    "Must have" :
    - management tool must be www-based, running on freely available
    components, like PostgreSQL, MySql, Apache. For example Project.net
    is not eligible (although it is perfect for other criteria) because it
    uses Oracle DB.

    - I already have a SVN repository of the project and it must be
    possible to continue it. It will be perfect, if the system have a www-
    based interface to SVN

    - the project is NOT open source. SVN access must be restricted to
    developers only

    - the project is distributed for free. Anyone should be able to
    download binary milestone distributions.

    - management system must provide a bug-tracing system, like bugzilla.

    "May have":
    - rss
    - discussion forum
    - the project is a library of python modules. The project is
    accompanied by a large number of scripts. It would be great if the
    tool provided a system to browse these examples by category.

    If it is not possible to install a single tool that provides all the
    functionality, I can install two or three components.

    Thanks for your answers,
    Dominik
    dgront, Jan 4, 2008

  2. dgront wrote:
    > Dear Group,
    >
    > just recently I realized that I need a tool for managing my project. I
    > am writing to this group since the project is Java-based. This is
    > however unimportant and I could post this mail to comp.lang.c++ or
    > somewhere else. Please tell me if you think there is a better group to
    > post.
    >
    > "Must have" :
    > - management tool must be www-based, running on freely available
    > components, like PostgreSQL, MySql, Apache. For example Project.net
    > is not eligible (although it is perfect for other criteria) because it
    > uses Oracle DB.
    >
    > - I already have a SVN repository of the project and it must be
    > possible to continue it. It will be perfect, if the system have a www-
    > based interface to SVN
    >
    > - the project is NOT open source. SVN access must be restricted to
    > developers only
    >
    > - the project is distributed for free. Anyone should be able to
    > download binary milestone distributions.
    >
    > - management system must provide a bug-tracing system, like bugzilla.
    >
    > "May have":
    > - rss
    > - discussion forum
    > - the project is a library of python modules. The project is
    > accompanied by a large number of scripts. It would be great if the
    > tool provided a system to browse these examples by category.
    >
    > If it is not possible to install a single tool that provides all the
    > functionality, I can install two or three components.
    >
    > Thanks for your answers,
    > Dominik

    Take a look at http://www.redmine.org/ - I'm using Redmine
    with Subversion and would say that it works very well.

    Regards,
    Max
    Maximilian Errath, Jan 4, 2008