    [4 5 6 1]
    [7 8 9 2]
    [0 1 2 3]

    greenflame, May 25, 2005

  2. greenflame

    Randy Webb Guest

    greenflame wrote:

    > I need code to compute the determinant and inverse of a matrix.

    Then write code to do it. Then post your best attempt.

    > for example the determinant and inverse of:
    >
    > [1 2 3 0]
    > [4 5 6 1]
    > [7 8 9 2]
    > [0 1 2 3]

    Looks more like your homework. Is it?

    --
    Randy

    Randy Webb, May 25, 2005

  3. greenflame

    greenflame Guest

    This is for a project of mine to make a mini mathematica. I will try to
    do it but I am not sure if you all will understand the matrix math.

    greenflame, May 26, 2005
  4. greenflame

    Random Guest

    greenflame wrote:
    > This is for a project of mine to make a mini mathematica. I will try to
    > do it but I am not sure if you all will understand the matrix math.

    .... so you asked us to write the code to do the math that you don't
    think we'd understand?

    Now that I don't understand.

    Keep me posted, though. I am curious.

    Random, May 26, 2005
  5. greenflame

    RobG Guest

    greenflame wrote:
    > This is for a project of mine to make a mini mathematica. I will try to
    > do it but I am not sure if you all will understand the matrix math.

    This link (on the Wolfram site) provides a general method for
    finding the determinant of an n_x_n matrix.

    <URL:http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Determinant.html>

    The "expansion by minors" technique is explained here:

    <URL:http://mathworld.wolfram.com/DeterminantExpansionbyMinors.html>

    No doubt you can develop a specific solution for a 4x4 matrix and
    hard-code that, or you could produce a general solution that finds the
    determinant of any size square matrix. Depending on how you wish to
    approach this, the solution will be very different.

    You will likely get more assistance if you provide an algorithm that
    you are trying to implement, that way you will get input from those
    whose forte is optimisation of JavaScript regardless of whether they
    understand the mathematics involved (and don't presume they don't).

    I played with Mathematica some years ago - had I been able to apply all
    the mathematical knowledge I have ever learned (or even stumbled
    across), I doubt that I would even have scratched the surface of its
    considerable capabilities.

    Good luck in your quest!

    --
    Rob

    RobG, May 26, 2005
  6. greenflame

    greenflame Guest

    Thanks Rob I will check those sites out. And I will keep you posted.

    greenflame, May 27, 2005