    using h2xs, some mods that abuse AUTOLOAD, but mostly I've seen a lot
    that make heavy use of the Symbol mod. I really forgot where this was
    going. Anyone care to enlighten me on this?
    grocery_stocker, Nov 4, 2006

  2. grocery_stocker

    John Bokma Guest

    "grocery_stocker" <> wrote:

    > Anyhow, the perldocs that came with my Perl distro has a lot of bs
    > written on closures.

    You're free to contribute better documentation. But so far you sound like
    a Xah Lee clone, so I am not going to hold my breath

    John Bokma, Nov 4, 2006

  3. John Bokma wrote:
    > "grocery_stocker" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Anyhow, the perldocs that came with my Perl distro has a lot of bs
    > > written on closures.

    > You're free to contribute better documentation. But so far you sound like
    > a Xah Lee clone, so I am not going to hold my breath
    >
    > --

    I don't know who Xah Lee is. Actually, I don't know who any of the
    developers are. I could really care less. I think this stems from my
    one real job interview I got. It was at PHP interview job thingy. One
    of the questions was like "Who is the father of PHP?". I was thinking
    "This is what I'm supposed to
    plug my feeble mind with as opposed to stuff like runtime analysis or
    how crap gets parsed."
    grocery_stocker, Nov 4, 2006
  4. grocery_stocker

    Guest

    Michele Dondi wrote:
    > xl is far from being any of the developers, he's actually one guy
    > who's been trolling here and elsewhere (maybe he's *still* trolling,
    > but I've killfiled him since long, and I'm not really sure)

    CLPMisc has ben x-el free for some time now. Maybe JohnB made an
    impression? Who knows (or cares).

    > just like you *seem* to be doing now, and that's what John meant.

    Although this OP is troll-ish in nature, it DOES seem to be making an
    effort to inform itself about the subject at hand (Perl), as evidenced
    by an apparent familarity with the FAQs and various module source codes
    (which, I confess, I have not browsed). Other notorious trolls (X-el,
    pee-g (aka moronzilla)) did not appear to make any such effort. So,
    for the moment, I am giving this OP the benefit of the doubt, and
    attributing its somewhat abrasive posture to either ill-informed
    netiquette or alcohol.

    --
    David Filmer (http://DavidFilmer.com)
    , Nov 5, 2006
  5. grocery_stocker

    John Bokma Guest

    Michele Dondi <> wrote:

    > On 4 Nov 2006 13:47:57 -0800, "grocery_stocker" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I don't know who Xah Lee is. Actually, I don't know who any of the
    >>developers are. I could really care less. I think this stems from my

    > You should care some more since xl is far from being any of the
    > developers, he's actually one guy who's been trolling here and
    > elsewhere (maybe he's *still* trolling, but I've killfiled him since
    > long, and I'm not really sure) just like you *seem* to be doing now,
    > and that's what John meant.

    Xah posted quite some time a lot of criticism on the documentation that
    came with Python. I can't recall he submitted corrections and
    improvements. This poster seems to have issues with the documentation on
    closures. So it would be nice if he/she submitted corrections/additions,
    etc, so all can learn. But I doubt if this ever is going to happen.

    And yes, Xah still posts, but less frequent. I know that some people are
    still reporting him for every spam attempt (cross post to 5 groups with
    links to articles on his site).

    John Bokma, Nov 5, 2006
  6. grocery_stocker

    Ted Zlatanov Guest

    On 4 Nov 2006, wrote:

    > Anyhow, the perldocs that came with my Perl distro has a lot of bs
    > written on closures. However, I haven't seen any kind of actual use of
    > closures in the standard mods. All I've seen are some mods generated
    > using h2xs, some mods that abuse AUTOLOAD, but mostly I've seen a lot
    > that make heavy use of the Symbol mod. I really forgot where this was
    > going. Anyone care to enlighten me on this?

    Closures are nice for hiding passwords.

    {
    my $password = 'secret';
    sub get_password { return $password; }
    }

    You can't (easily) get at $password now except through get_password()

    Ted
    Ted Zlatanov, Nov 6, 2006