I need to make me a specification list for outsourcing purposes, please help..

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Edwin Knoppert, Jan 27, 2006.

  1. For near future specifications to place our ASP.NET software on a server not
    being ours i have to ask you a few rather simple questions.
    It's for professional use.
    We would not like to intervene with the installation that much, a simple
    copy to folder should be enough.
    Eventually we point the admin to change a few (minor) settings in the
    web.config

    [Clients]
    We want to reach clients using any kind of browser.
    I know this is difficult and therefore i choose a minimum requirement for
    clients.
    Clients should have support for javascript and cookie storage.
    Could not imagne more need yet.

    [Server]
    1) Recommended windows platform to run Dotnet FWK v2.x (windows server 2003
    for example)
    2) Is SQLServer installed by default?
    3) Is using sqlserver a nightmare and should we therefore stick to MDB's (ms
    access)?
    4) Is MDAC (OLEDB) installed by default?
    5) Is this installed by the dotnet framework(v2)?
    6) Should we choose for a different database system like a mysql or such?

    Do you have other suggestions?

    Thanks!

    Edwin Knoppert, Jan 27, 2006

  2. Edwin Knoppert

    Guest

    1) For example
    2) No
    3) If can pay the SqlServer, use it. There are also other Sql Server
    versions that not require paying money (MSDE and the one that comes
    with VS2005).
    4) Yes, in the framework install.
    5) [WINDIR]\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.Data.dll
    6) You can use any serious database (oracle, sql server, mysql, ...)
    but for some databases you could require the .net providers for best
    performance. Remenmer to secure the database you choose.

    , Jan 27, 2006

  3. Edwin Knoppert

    john smith Guest

    Re: I need to make me a specification list for outsourcing purposes,please help..

    Edwin Knoppert wrote:
    > For near future specifications to place our ASP.NET software on a server not
    > being ours i have to ask you a few rather simple questions.
    > It's for professional use.
    > We would not like to intervene with the installation that much, a simple
    > copy to folder should be enough.
    > Eventually we point the admin to change a few (minor) settings in the
    > web.config
    >
    > [Clients]
    > We want to reach clients using any kind of browser.
    > I know this is difficult and therefore i choose a minimum requirement for
    > clients.
    > Clients should have support for javascript and cookie storage.
    > Could not imagne more need yet.
    >
    > [Server]
    > 1) Recommended windows platform to run Dotnet FWK v2.x (windows server 2003
    > for example)
    > 2) Is SQLServer installed by default?
    > 3) Is using sqlserver a nightmare and should we therefore stick to MDB's (ms
    > access)?
    > 4) Is MDAC (OLEDB) installed by default?
    > 5) Is this installed by the dotnet framework(v2)?
    > 6) Should we choose for a different database system like a mysql or such?
    >
    > Do you have other suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks!

    About #3 and #6 (no time to answer everything right now, must head to
    work in a couple mins); it is much the inverse. SQL Server is great, Jet
    (access/mdb files) is the nightmare (often the worst solution). But SQL
    Server is expensive (like most enterprise grade RDBMS'es such as Oracle
    and DB2). But there are other options such as SQL Server Express or
    PostgreSQL which are free (I personally avoid MySQL for a ton of
    reasons... too many to list here, and too little time ATM).

    john smith, Jan 27, 2006
  4. Let me give a few remarks for now.
    I don't think SQLServer express is good for profi use, another issue is that
    it needs to be installed, which i want to avoid.
    About MDB's, we like the way we can manage things with access, we don't
    expect to much traffic on the db.
    Simple user management and simple requests.
    But.. don't point me to alternatives like xml storage, we don't see that as
    replacement for an access and it's mdb's
    Personally i would go for access for this light traffic stuff.
    There are other parts which need real stress testing though but i wanted to
    discuss a few basic parts.
    Like what is present by default and what is not :)

    Edwin Knoppert, Jan 27, 2006