i need to read a MP3 files in JAVA ..

shibdutta

hi...

i need to read a MP3 files in JAVA .. not MP3 but many Music
files...

can any one help..
thanks

Andrew Thompson

i need to read a MP3 files in JAVA .. not MP3 but many Music
files...

Reading them is easy. It is playing or unencoding
or encoding them that is trickier.

The best Sun offers is the (now abandoned) JMF.
It has limited support for MP3 (on the powerpack,
AFAIU) but the chances of getting it to work with
any random variety of more modern codecs or formats
is low (unless you write the encoder/unencoder
yourself).

Apart from that, I vaguely recall hearing good things
about the Tritonus plug-in, but you'd have to do your
own leg work there - I have not used it.

Andrew T.

Andrew Thompson

Daniel said:
It can apparently handle some MP3s (via a plugin).

Aaah, *that's* where I "vaguely recall hearing good things
about the Tritonus plug-in" (and I even remembered the right
spelling.. ;)

But I note you say 'apparently', and that thread ends
on a 'hopeful but inconclusive' note. Did you ever
proceed with your MP3 project?

Andrew T.

shibdutta

thanks...i m working on that...some groundwork is left...

i may also need to read the propreties of these music files...such as
title... artist...album etc...
is there any for that...

Daniel Dyer

Aaah, *that's* where I "vaguely recall hearing good things
about the Tritonus plug-in" (and I even remembered the right
spelling.. ;)

But I note you say 'apparently', and that thread ends
on a 'hopeful but inconclusive' note. Did you ever
proceed with your MP3 project?

I don't think I had much success with the Sun plugin, but I did manage to
get something working with the JavaLayer stuff
(http://www.javazoom.net/javalayer/javalayer.html). If I remember
correctly, I'd decided I was going to write my own MP3 player because I
wanted something like iTunes for Linux (I was going to read the iTunes
database from the Windows parition so that I could play whatever
files/playlists were configured with iTunes under Windows). Like many of
these ideas I have, the motivation didn't last long and the code joined
the long list of half-started projects that litter my hard disk.

Dan.