i/o multiplexing on terminal

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by zubin, Jun 24, 2007.

  1. zubin

    zubin Guest

    i want to take input at the screen and at the same time flash the
    output on to the terminal (coming from some other process)...how do i
    go about it?

    the interface should look something like this:

    ::terminal::

    command prompt >

    output:
    *coming from other process and hence ll have to be handled
    continuously

    ___________________________
    end terminal

    -the command prompt should be non blocking wrt output
    zubin, Jun 24, 2007

  2. zubin

    zubin Guest

    On Jun 24, 3:25 pm, zubin <> wrote:
    > i want to take input at the screen and at the same time flash the
    > output on to the terminal (coming from some other process)...how do i
    > go about it?
    >
    > the interface should look something like this:
    >
    > ::terminal::
    >
    > command prompt >
    >
    > ______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    > output:
    > *coming from other process and hence ll have to be handled
    > continuously
    >
    > ___________________________
    > end terminal
    >
    > -the command prompt should be non blocking wrt output

    i am working on linux platform :)
    zubin, Jun 24, 2007

  3. zubin

    SM Ryan Guest

    zubin <> wrote:

    # > -the command prompt should be non blocking wrt output
    #
    # i am working on linux platform :)

    If you want a Unix only solution, look up the curses
    (or ncurses) library. It is also available on a few
    non-unices.

    --
    SM Ryan http://www.rawbw.com/~wyrmwif/
    A bunch of savages in this town.
    SM Ryan, Jun 24, 2007
  4. zubin

    Jack Klein Guest

    On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 10:27:29 -0000, zubin <>
    wrote in comp.lang.c:

    > On Jun 24, 3:25 pm, zubin <> wrote:
    > > i want to take input at the screen and at the same time flash the
    > > output on to the terminal (coming from some other process)...how do i
    > > go about it?
    > >
    > > the interface should look something like this:
    > >
    > > ::terminal::
    > >
    > > command prompt >
    > >
    > > ______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    > > output:
    > > *coming from other process and hence ll have to be handled
    > > continuously
    > >
    > > ___________________________
    > > end terminal
    > >
    > > -the command prompt should be non blocking wrt output

    > i am working on linux platform :)

    Then you need to ask in a group like
    news:comp.os.linux.development.apps. The C language itself has no
    concept of terminals, screens, or processes.

    --
    Jack Klein
    Home: http://JK-Technology.Com
    Jack Klein, Jun 25, 2007