I offer serious help

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by SonOfLilit, Jul 15, 2007.

  1. SonOfLilit

    SonOfLilit Guest

    Hello Joe,

    I don't have much time now (ditching a physics lecture to write this)
    so I'll make this first one short:

    Do you still want help learning to program so that you'll eventually
    be able to program an MMORPG (I'm warning you: it will probably take
    at least five years under the best guidance there is, but they will be
    fun years with many fun games created in between)?

    I offer it. I think I understand you, as I'm 18, a proffesional
    programmer, I hang out with lots of hobbyist game programmers and I
    used to be one (I even started two summers ago to work on - gasp - a
    very cool MMORTS written in Ruby).

    To see if we speak the same language:
    1) I think you'd enjoy playing with a language called Logo.

    Download UCBLogo here:
    ftp://ftp.cs.berkeley.edu/pub/ucblogo/ucbwlogosetup.exe

    Read this VERY SHORT great tutorial and type each and every example
    you see, and then play with it's results to create something else
    cool:
    http://el.media.mit.edu/logo-foundation/logo/turtle.html

    Then read this series of three great free online books that I really
    liked. While you read them, play with the turtle graphics you learned
    in the tutorial and with the new ideas as you learn them to keep you
    from being bored.
    http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~bh/v1-toc2.html

    These books will get you VERY far, like... To the level I was after
    about five-six years programming, and you can easily complete them
    until the end of the summer.

    With any question, feel free to turn to me here or on
    (MSN Messenger).

    I only ask one thing as payment: to see all the cool things you come
    up with. That's my enjoyment - to see what cool things young
    programmers create. So whatever you create while toying with the ideas
    in the tutorial and the book, send me the source code for so that I
    can recreate.

    Aur

    SonOfLilit, Jul 15, 2007

  2. SonOfLilit

    SonOfLilit Guest

    (to make things clear: this is Re: Need serious help!)

    SonOfLilit, Jul 15, 2007

  3. SonOfLilit

    Joe Wiltrout Guest

    Tyvm. I will try this imediately. When (If, but most likely I will) make
    something worth telling people about, I shall tell you right after I
    tell my friend who codes Java. And thank you for not telling me to go
    and write hello world! thousands of times. And if there is ever a time
    when I do make a good game that people would pay to play, or pay to get
    exclusive features or something like that, you will get everything free.
    Course that won't be for awhile.

    Joe Wiltrout, Jul 15, 2007
  4. SonOfLilit

    Joe Wiltrout Guest

    Dangit. The download isn't working. For some reason it won't paste into
    the address bar, and I typed it manually and didn't bring anything up.
    And btw, what time period is your MMORTS set in? Like futuristic or
    medival type?

    Joe Wiltrout, Jul 15, 2007
  5. SonOfLilit

    Sammy Larbi Guest

    Joe Wiltrout wrote, On 7/15/2007 2:55 PM:
    > Dangit. The download isn't working. For some reason it won't paste into
    > the address bar, and I typed it manually and didn't bring anything up.
    > And btw, what time period is your MMORTS set in? Like futuristic or
    > medival type?

    Joe,

    What was this in reference to?

    Sam

    Sammy Larbi, Jul 15, 2007
  6. SonOfLilit

    Joe Wiltrout Guest

    I found a download. From Brian Harvey's homepage. So Im assuming it
    would be the best one. And also some guy wrote a 94 page Introduction to
    Programming for Middle School Aged Kids. It's about Logo, so im gunna
    read that after I read the tutorial you said.

    Joe Wiltrout, Jul 15, 2007
  7. SonOfLilit

    Joe Wiltrout Guest

    Sammy Larbi wrote:
    > Joe Wiltrout wrote, On 7/15/2007 2:55 PM:
    >> Dangit. The download isn't working. For some reason it won't paste into
    >> the address bar, and I typed it manually and didn't bring anything up.
    >> And btw, what time period is your MMORTS set in? Like futuristic or
    >> medival type?
    >>

    > Joe,
    >
    > What was this in reference to?
    >
    > Sam

    ? The download link that SonofLilit put in his very nice and helpful
    post didn't copy and paste into the address bar, and didn't work when I
    manually typed it, but I went and googled it and found a download for
    it. And he said he was working on a MMORTS, which sounds like an
    interesting type of game. I like MMO, and I like RTS, add em together,
    and it sounds wicked awesome. So I wanted to know if it was futuristic
    like Halo Wars, or medival like Age of Myth., or Age of Empires. Or a
    sort of combination like Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends. With the
    machines and the magic.

    Joe Wiltrout, Jul 15, 2007
  8. SonOfLilit

    Sammy Larbi Guest

    Joe Wiltrout wrote, On 7/15/2007 3:19 PM:
    > Sammy Larbi wrote:
    >
    >> Joe Wiltrout wrote, On 7/15/2007 2:55 PM:
    >>
    >>> Dangit. The download isn't working. For some reason it won't paste into
    >>> the address bar, and I typed it manually and didn't bring anything up.
    >>> And btw, what time period is your MMORTS set in? Like futuristic or
    >>> medival type?
    >>>

    >> Joe,
    >>
    >> What was this in reference to?
    >>
    >> Sam
    >>

    > ? The download link that SonofLilit put in his very nice and helpful
    > post didn't copy and paste into the address bar, and didn't work when I
    > manually typed it, but I went and googled it and found a download for
    > it. And he said he was working on a MMORTS, which sounds like an
    > interesting type of game. I like MMO, and I like RTS, add em together,
    > and it sounds wicked awesome. So I wanted to know if it was futuristic
    > like Halo Wars, or medival like Age of Myth., or Age of Empires. Or a
    > sort of combination like Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends. With the
    > machines and the magic.

    Did you look into the Novashell game maker I sent?
    (http://www.rtsoft.com/novashell/)

    Sammy Larbi, Jul 15, 2007
  9. SonOfLilit

    Joe Wiltrout Guest

    Omg. This turtle thing is fun. I was just messing around, and made the
    backward command.

    to backward
    right 180
    end

    That was easy. In ruby, it was much more complicated to tell it new
    words. I made Ruby reconize my sandwich as Ham Turkey Cheese, and that
    took 10 minutes. lol.

    Joe Wiltrout, Jul 15, 2007
  10. SonOfLilit

    Joe Wiltrout Guest

    Only problem, I don't know some kind of command that erases what I did
    without restarting UCB Logo and losing the words I created.

    Joe Wiltrout, Jul 15, 2007
  11. SonOfLilit

    Joe Wiltrout Guest

    And is there a way to save words you make so that whenever I restart
    Logo, it keeps them and I don't have to tell it what they mean again? I
    keep trying to draw a Pilot Gnome, but everytime I mess it up, I restart
    Logo cus I can't find an erase command. Then I have to reprogram Circle
    again.

    Joe Wiltrout, Jul 15, 2007
  12. SonOfLilit

    Joe Wiltrout Guest

    Pilot Gnome. I was messing around, trying to make the circle command.
    And when I made one that sorta worked, but it was 400 degrees long, I
    tried to draw cherries. And then it looked like a gnome hat with
    goggles. So I figured I'd go the whole way and make a Gnome with a pair
    of Flight Goggles.

    Joe Wiltrout, Jul 15, 2007
  13. SonOfLilit

    Joe Wiltrout Guest

    Omg again. I wanted to make a cylender type thing, so I made the word
    Gibberish. Why? I don't know. But the programming was

    to gibberish
    repeat 10 [forward 10+1 circle]
    end

    And it made a sort of spirally cylinder thing. TYVM man. This is
    awesome. Makes me feel like I'm actually doing something.

    Joe Wiltrout, Jul 15, 2007
  14. SonOfLilit

    Joe Wiltrout Guest

    Joe Wiltrout wrote:
    > Omg again. I wanted to make a cylender type thing, so I made the word
    > Gibberish. Why? I don't know. But the programming was
    >
    > to gibberish
    > repeat 10 [forward 10+1 circle]
    > end
    >

    > And it made a sort of spirally cylinder thing. TYVM man. This is
    > awesome. Makes me feel like I'm actually doing something.

    And if you look at it the right way, it looks almost 3-d. With some
    shading and coloring, it would look 3-d. But I dont know how to do any
    of that with Logo.

    Joe Wiltrout, Jul 15, 2007
  15. SonOfLilit

    Joe Wiltrout Guest

    unknown wrote:
    > In message <>, Joe
    > Wiltrout writes:
    >>And is there a way to save words you make so that whenever I restart
    >>Logo, it keeps them and I don't have to tell it what they mean again? I
    >>keep trying to draw a Pilot Gnome, but everytime I mess it up, I restart
    >>Logo cus I can't find an erase command. Then I have to reprogram Circle
    >>again.

    > Try a Logo newsgroup. There's ways to do it in Ruby. I wouldn't dream
    > of trying to explain Logo.
    >
    > -s

    Good idea. Now I'm going solo trying to create fun commands that make
    cool shapes.

    Joe Wiltrout, Jul 15, 2007
  16. SonOfLilit

    Chad Perrin Guest

    On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 04:52:57AM +0900, Joe Wiltrout wrote:
    > Tyvm. I will try this imediately. When (If, but most likely I will) make
    > something worth telling people about, I shall tell you right after I
    > tell my friend who codes Java. And thank you for not telling me to go
    > and write hello world! thousands of times. And if there is ever a time
    > when I do make a good game that people would pay to play, or pay to get
    > exclusive features or something like that, you will get everything free.
    > Course that won't be for awhile.

    Nobody told you, in this discussion, to write hello world thousands of
    times. I wonder why you keep saying that.

    Kent Beck: "I always knew that one day Smalltalk would replace Java. I
    just didn't know it would be called Ruby."

    Chad Perrin, Jul 15, 2007
  17. SonOfLilit

    Chad Perrin Guest

    On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 06:12:21AM +0900, Joe Wiltrout wrote:
    > Joe Wiltrout wrote:
    > > Omg again. I wanted to make a cylender type thing, so I made the word
    > > Gibberish. Why? I don't know. But the programming was
    > >
    > > to gibberish
    > > repeat 10 [forward 10+1 circle]
    > > end
    > >

    > > And it made a sort of spirally cylinder thing. TYVM man. This is
    > > awesome. Makes me feel like I'm actually doing something.

    > And if you look at it the right way, it looks almost 3-d. With some
    > shading and coloring, it would look 3-d. But I dont know how to do any
    > of that with Logo.

    I like UCBLogo quite a bit. I like Brian Harvey's textbook series that
    uses Logo as the example language. On the other hand, I'm on the Ruby
    list to discuss Ruby. You might want to take your blow-by-blow
    explanation of what you're doing to a Logo mailing list.

    Larry Wall: "A script is what you give the actors. A program is what you
    give the audience."

    Chad Perrin, Jul 15, 2007
  18. SonOfLilit

    Joe Wiltrout Guest

    Chad Perrin wrote:
    > On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 06:12:21AM +0900, Joe Wiltrout wrote:
    >> > awesome. Makes me feel like I'm actually doing something.

    >> And if you look at it the right way, it looks almost 3-d. With some
    >> shading and coloring, it would look 3-d. But I dont know how to do any
    >> of that with Logo.

    > I like UCBLogo quite a bit. I like Brian Harvey's textbook series that
    > uses Logo as the example language. On the other hand, I'm on the Ruby
    > list to discuss Ruby. You might want to take your blow-by-blow
    > explanation of what you're doing to a Logo mailing list.

    Problem is, all the Logo forums I could find were on Yahoo. I tried to
    get on Yahoo, and it wouldnt let me post unless I configured my accoutn
    settings. So I tried to do that, and gave me a 999 error or something
    like that. So I'm stuck here, fighting off wild animals with stupid
    comments for teeth, until yahoo stops being annoying.

    Joe Wiltrout, Jul 15, 2007
  19. SonOfLilit

    Joe Wiltrout Guest

    Chad Perrin wrote:
    > On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 04:52:57AM +0900, Joe Wiltrout wrote:
    >> Tyvm. I will try this imediately. When (If, but most likely I will) make
    >> something worth telling people about, I shall tell you right after I
    >> tell my friend who codes Java. And thank you for not telling me to go
    >> and write hello world! thousands of times. And if there is ever a time
    >> when I do make a good game that people would pay to play, or pay to get
    >> exclusive features or something like that, you will get everything free.
    >> Course that won't be for awhile.

    > Nobody told you, in this discussion, to write hello world thousands of
    > times. I wonder why you keep saying that.

    They told me in other discussions. Many of the multiple Re: I need
    serious help threads. But this converstation was between me and Aur. So
    if you could, ya know, F*** OFF! I would appreciate it.

    Joe Wiltrout, Jul 15, 2007
  20. SonOfLilit

    Chad Perrin Guest

    On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 07:17:39AM +0900, Joe Wiltrout wrote:
    > Chad Perrin wrote:
    > > On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 04:52:57AM +0900, Joe Wiltrout wrote:
    > >> Tyvm. I will try this imediately. When (If, but most likely I will) make
    > >> something worth telling people about, I shall tell you right after I
    > >> tell my friend who codes Java. And thank you for not telling me to go
    > >> and write hello world! thousands of times. And if there is ever a time
    > >> when I do make a good game that people would pay to play, or pay to get
    > >> exclusive features or something like that, you will get everything free.
    > >> Course that won't be for awhile.

    > > Nobody told you, in this discussion, to write hello world thousands of
    > > times. I wonder why you keep saying that.

    > They told me in other discussions. Many of the multiple Re: I need
    > serious help threads. But this converstation was between me and Aur. So
    > if you could, ya know, F*** OFF! I would appreciate it.

    If it's not public, don't post it to a public mailing list. Thank you
    for your understanding and diligence in being polite to your fellow
    humans.

    Ben Franklin: "As we enjoy great Advantages from the Inventions of others
    we should be glad of an Opportunity to serve others by any Invention of
    ours, and this we should do freely and generously."

    Chad Perrin, Jul 15, 2007