I see default.aspx as text when I browse to site on XP

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Larry Brindise, Nov 8, 2003.

  1. I have deployed an ASP.NET application successfully on
    Windows 2000 and 2003. When I deploy it on an XP Pro
    machine (fresh install with framework 1.1 and IIS
    installed), I get a very unexpected result. Keep in mind
    I install everything as "default" as it gets, IIS
    included. I install my project into a virtual directory,
    so I browse to my installed site as:
    http://localhost/myproject
    Yes, there is a file called "default.aspx" in my project
    and it is the default document specified in the virtual
    directory. I have changed none of the default settings --
    I didn't have to in 2000 or 2003 so I didnt't on XP. Of
    course in 2003, I had to turn on the "ASPX Application
    Server" in IIS.
    Anyway, what happens is that when I browse to this site
    on the XP box, either as //localhost/mysite locally, or
    remotely as //xpbox/mysite, I see in my browser window
    the text contained within the file default.aspx...quite
    useless!!
    I have never seen anything like this before. ASP is not
    recognizing it or something because when I simply browse
    to //localhost, I get the default IIS "under
    construction" page.
    Do I have to give .NET a kick in the butt somehow on XP?
    Please help.
    Regards,
    -Larry Brindise

    Larry Brindise, Nov 8, 2003

  2. You may need to repair your IIS mappings.
    To do this, run the following command:
    aspnet_regiis.exe -i

    Here's further information:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q306005

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], Nov 9, 2003

  3. I haven't tried it because I am no longer at the office,
    however I am confident this is the solution. The article
    you referenced recalled to my memory the fact that I
    installed the .NET framework before I installed IIS on
    the XP machine. I'm sure I'll get support calls on this
    one!
    Regards,
    -Larry

    consulting.com