I see where a site writes a 1x1 sized image to browser.

Ralph

AAaron123 said:
How does that work?

If I go back they can see it?

Thanks

Probably and its just a guess, but they have an httphandler set up to handle
the request for the gif file.
It that handler they can track whatever info would be available by from the
httprequest object.
Of course they may be using something other than .net on there server, but
the idea is still the same.
Document write doesn't make so much sense to me though.
I am pretty sure some antivirus software will actually block the use of
document.write.

AAaron123

Ralph said:
Probably and its just a guess, but they have an httphandler set up to
handle the request for the gif file.
It that handler they can track whatever info would be available by
from the httprequest object.
Of course they may be using something other than .net on there
server, but the idea is still the same.
Document write doesn't make so much sense to me though.
I am pretty sure some antivirus software will actually block the use
of document.write.

Good. Thanks. I couldn't imagine how they got to see any data from me.

Gregory A. Beamer

Probably and its just a guess, but they have an httphandler set up to
handle the request for the gif file.
It that handler they can track whatever info would be available by
from the httprequest object.
Of course they may be using something other than .net on there server,
but the idea is still the same.
Document write doesn't make so much sense to me though.
I am pretty sure some antivirus software will actually block the use
of document.write.

By using document.write, they are requesting the "tracking" image late,
rather than part of the original request stream. It may not work to
their advantage, but it removes certain anamolies from the original
request.\

For example, if the page is https, it can possibly circumvent the "parts
of this page are not secure" error, as the request is made after the
page when made in JavaScript. Not 100% sure on that, but the JavaScript
wirte would mean the page is already processed prior to asking for the
image.

Not sure what they are tracking, however, if that is the intent. Only
sending a datetime. As they can get the same information in the web
logs, it does not make much sense, unless they are trying to get your
local time as part of the URL to compare against server time.

Strange.

Peace and Grace,