I strongly dislike Python 3

Discussion in 'Python' started by Stefan Reich, Jun 26, 2010.

  1. Stefan Reich

    Stefan Reich Guest

    Hi there.

    Let me preface this by saying that I am a fan of Python. I use it
    regularly and I like it a lot.

    That is, I am using and liking Python 2.6.

    I don't like Python 3.

    I won't comment on the advanced stuff that is changed in Python 3, as I
    haven't look into that.

    My complaint is about changing the syntax of "print".

    This has probably been talked about on your lists, but I wasn't part of
    that discussion. And I think that everyone has a right to bring up a
    subject at any time if it is still important. And I believe it is
    because Python 3 is out there and it poses a real problem.

    The main problem is that Python 3 is incompatible with almost all
    scripts written for Python 2 (if they use print). And it gets worse:
    Python 3 scripts are incompatible with Python 2! (If they use print
    variants, like writing to a file.)

    Thus the world of Python scripts is split in two incompatible factions.
    All for simplifying the syntax of one statement. That, to me, is pure
    insanity.

    Here's the advantages:

    -Some arcane stuff like redefining "print" in a module (which 99% of
    users will never do) allegedly gets easier.
    -Any more?

    And here's the disadvantages:

    -The Python 3 syntax actually requires more keystrokes.
    -Python world split in half. There is now a Python 2 world and a Python
    3 world, both incompatible with each other.
    -Libraries written for Python 2 cannot be mixed with libraries written
    for Python 3.
    -Developers have to choose between Python 2 and Python 3 and are bound
    to their choice afterwards.

    So there are basically no advantages and extremely significant
    disadvantages. The single advantage there is could certainly be achieved
    without breaking all scripts out there.

    Consider Java as a better example: JDK 1.6 still runs and compiles
    everything written for JDK 1.0. That is proper management. Python 3 is,
    I'm sorry to say, an example of unfathomably bad management.

    To reiterate, I am strongly in disfavor of Python 3 and will stick to
    Python 2, for as least as long as Python 3 breaks my scripts.

    Cheers,
    Stefan

    Stefan Reich, Jun 26, 2010

  2. In message <>, Stefan
    Reich wrote:

    > My complaint is about changing the syntax of "print".

    I never use print, so I don’t appreciate the problem. It seems to be useful
    only for noddy I/O.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 27, 2010