I strongly dislike Python 3

Stefan Reich

Hi there.

Let me preface this by saying that I am a fan of Python. I use it
regularly and I like it a lot.

That is, I am using and liking Python 2.6.

I don't like Python 3.

I won't comment on the advanced stuff that is changed in Python 3, as I
haven't look into that.

My complaint is about changing the syntax of "print".

This has probably been talked about on your lists, but I wasn't part of
that discussion. And I think that everyone has a right to bring up a
subject at any time if it is still important. And I believe it is
because Python 3 is out there and it poses a real problem.

The main problem is that Python 3 is incompatible with almost all
scripts written for Python 2 (if they use print). And it gets worse:
Python 3 scripts are incompatible with Python 2! (If they use print
variants, like writing to a file.)

Thus the world of Python scripts is split in two incompatible factions.
All for simplifying the syntax of one statement. That, to me, is pure
insanity.

Here's the advantages:

-Some arcane stuff like redefining "print" in a module (which 99% of
users will never do) allegedly gets easier.
-Any more?

And here's the disadvantages:

-The Python 3 syntax actually requires more keystrokes.
-Python world split in half. There is now a Python 2 world and a Python
3 world, both incompatible with each other.
-Libraries written for Python 2 cannot be mixed with libraries written
for Python 3.
-Developers have to choose between Python 2 and Python 3 and are bound
to their choice afterwards.

So there are basically no advantages and extremely significant
disadvantages. The single advantage there is could certainly be achieved
without breaking all scripts out there.

Consider Java as a better example: JDK 1.6 still runs and compiles
everything written for JDK 1.0. That is proper management. Python 3 is,
I'm sorry to say, an example of unfathomably bad management.

To reiterate, I am strongly in disfavor of Python 3 and will stick to
Python 2, for as least as long as Python 3 breaks my scripts.

Cheers,
Stefan

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Stefan said:
My complaint is about changing the syntax of "print".

I never use print, so I don’t appreciate the problem. It seems to be useful
only for noddy I/O.