I think if I see another three column web page I am going to puke

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Gerald Newton, Dec 20, 2007.

  1. Three columns over and over again. What happened to originality?
    Gerald Newton, Dec 20, 2007

  2. Gerald Newton

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "Gerald Newton" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Three columns over and over again. What happened to originality?

    Do you feel the same way about 2 columns? 4? Is it laying sites out in
    columns that you're protesting or specifically in 3 columns?
    Nik Coughlin, Dec 20, 2007

  3. Gerald Newton

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <

    Gerald Newton <> wrote:

    > Three columns over and over again. What happened to originality?

    This appears to me to be an extremely superficial criticism. I
    cannot and will not accept it. Take it back.

    The sonnet is a not altogether complicated form but there are the
    most beautiful examples of it and people can still do nice things
    with it. Same goes for any form at all in just about anything. It
    is not the form but the substance that matters. It is plain silly
    to think that 3 cols means that everyone who makes 3 cols does
    the same boring thing. There is nothing inherently boring about
    any columned format. No, not even for n=1.

    In fact, all of the highest art, as distinguished from the silly
    and superficial business of mere novelty, is heavily constrained
    by form. I go as far as to say that it depends on the
    constraints. Have you seen what bloody well happens to artists of
    all kinds, musicians and film directors and others when they are
    not constrained. When they think they can do whatever they bloody
    well like? When they become rich and can command whatever
    resources they want. When they can do whatever they like. Their
    art often goes to pieces. There is nothing to hold it up, no
    scaffold to play against. Their music gets slicker bands and not
    that raw early powerful energy of a simple guitar twanging away,
    their finer expensive paints...

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Dec 20, 2007
  4. Gerald Newton

    Bone Ur Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 20 Dec 2007 03:31:33 GMT
    Gerald Newton scribed:

    > Three columns over and over again. What happened to originality?

    Boring, isn't it? I kinda agree with you except there is one thing...
    Most of the layouts are screwed up so originality may be detected and
    appreciated in their creative screwed-upness.

    --
    Bone Ur
    Cavemen have formidable pheromones.
    Bone Ur, Dec 20, 2007
  5. Gerald Newton

    DocuMaker Guest

    On Dec 19, 7:31 pm, Gerald Newton <>
    wrote:
    > Three columns over and over again. What happened to originality?

    It's the Nation of Sheep syndrome.

    ---
    http://www.outsource2documaker.com
    Managing outsourced projects ranging from fine artwork and business
    graphics to website design and maintenance.
    DocuMaker, Dec 20, 2007
  6. Gerald Newton

    asdf Guest

    "DocuMaker" <> wrote in message
    > On Dec 19, 7:31 pm, Gerald Newton <>
    > wrote:
    >> Three columns over and over again. What happened to originality?

    > It's the Nation of Sheep syndrome.

    [snip]

    ....or perhaps it's providing users with an interface with which they are
    familiar and comfortable.

    Horses for courses again, methinks.
    asdf, Dec 20, 2007
  7. On Dec 19, 10:31 pm, Gerald Newton <>
    wrote:
    > Three columns over and over again. What happened to originality?

    This is what happens when you dumb down the web with accessibility and
    standards...

    LONG LIVE THE FREE MARKET!!!!
    Travis Newbury, Dec 20, 2007
  8. Gerald Newton

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    On Dec 20, 11:26 pm, Travis Newbury <> wrote:
    > On Dec 19, 10:31 pm, Gerald Newton <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Three columns over and over again. What happened to originality?

    > This is what happens when you dumb down the web with accessibility and
    > standards...
    >
    > LONG LIVE THE FREE MARKET!!!!

    On that subject did you see the VTR Australia site, before the current
    one that had a 3D game type set-up. It really was not a good thing.
    Although I always thaught it would have been good for a games type
    site.
    Chaddy2222, Dec 20, 2007
  9. Re: I think if I see another three column web page I am going topuke

    Gerald Newton wrote:
    > Three columns over and over again. What happened to originality?

    There aren't a whole lot of choices, are there? One, two, three, or
    *possibly* four. Five certainly isn't practical.
    Harlan Messinger, Dec 20, 2007
  10. Gerald Newton

    asdf Guest

    "Travis Newbury" <> wrote in message
    > On Dec 19, 10:31 pm, Gerald Newton <>
    > wrote:
    >> Three columns over and over again. What happened to originality?

    > This is what happens when you dumb down the web with accessibility and
    > standards...
    >
    > LONG LIVE THE FREE MARKET!!!!

    Dumbing *down*?

    LMGDAO
    asdf, Dec 20, 2007
  11. On Dec 20, 8:33 am, "asdf" <> wrote:
    > >> Three columns over and over again. What happened to originality?

    > > This is what happens when you dumb down the web with accessibility and
    > > standards...

    > Dumbing *down*?
    > LMGDAO

    Sorry, as soon as you add "rules" or "standards" you limit
    possibilities.

    Please do not read this as accessibility is bad or standards are bad.
    Not at all. But they should be suggestions that sites will or will
    not follow based on what brings them the best results for their site.
    NEVER government mandated.
    Travis Newbury, Dec 20, 2007
  12. On Dec 20, 7:45 am, Chaddy2222 <spamlovermailbox-
    > wrote:
    > > > Three columns over and over again. What happened to originality?

    > > This is what happens when you dumb down the web with accessibility and
    > > standards...
    > > LONG LIVE THE FREE MARKET!!!!

    > On that subject did you see the VTR Australia site, before the current
    > one that had a 3D game type set-up. It really was not a good thing.

    This is kind of my point. The site had some very interesting but
    useless, (in context with what the site was trying to achieve) Flash.
    They essencially blew it. It looked really cool, but it was about as
    functional as a turd in a pressure cooker. So by what ever marker
    they were measuring, they decided that what they had was not working,
    they needed to change. The free market solved the problem. No
    government intervention needed. The mighty Dollar (yen, euro, fill in
    your currency here) worked as it should.
    Travis Newbury, Dec 20, 2007
  13. Gerald Newton

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <
    m>,
    Travis Newbury <> wrote:

    > > > This is what happens when you dumb down the web with accessibility and
    > > > standards...

    > > Dumbing *down*?
    > > LMGDAO

    > Sorry, as soon as you add "rules" or "standards" you limit
    > possibilities.

    A perfect admission of complete failure to understand something
    at the very heart of all human creative activities. But perhaps,
    at this time of year we should not argue?

    Merry Xmas Travis!

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Dec 20, 2007