I think UltraWebGrid is a crap

gnewsgroup

They don't like what I say, but that's what I feel.

Once you have a template column, you get stuck. U have no way of
finding the control in your code-behind.

Suppose you place a button in a template column, then you can find the
button with the CommandSource property of
UltraWebGridCommandEventArgs, but you get lost about what row it is
in.

You want to wire some value of a row to the button as its
CommandArgument? Forget about it, there is no way to do it.

I thought that I could do it in the InitializeRow method, but their
FindControl method simply cannot find the control in the template
column.

The worst part is, online resources are very limited about their
product. They do have a forum, but you see one or two posts there a
day, and most questions are either not answered or kicked back to
their dumb documentation.

Think twice before you jump.

Mike

I second that! ! !

and thats why I avoid anything from infragistics at all costs, or even third
party controls over all. Unless its something that can save me a ton of time
in developing my own, then I may consider buying one, but over all I just
use what .NET and build off of that.

gnewsgroup

I second that! ! !

and thats why I avoid anything from infragistics at all costs, or even third
party controls over all. Unless its something that can save me a ton of time
in developing my own, then I may consider buying one, but over all I just
use what .NET and build off of that.

It has wasted me a lot of time trying to figure out many how-tos with
UltraWebGrid, only to find that, unless you would like to write dozens
of lines of code yourself, there is no easy way to achieve your goal
with this control. But it's pretty easy to do it with GridView, plus
much much more resources online.

Mike

exactly.
with the ultrawebgrid and anything utlra.. your paying way to much for
something you can figure out on your own using the GridView.

darrel

and thats why I avoid anything from infragistics at all costs

We used one of their products once.

That'll be the last.

-Darrel

Mark Rae [MVP]

We used one of their products once.

That'll be the last.

I couldn't agree more!

Some 3rd-party vendors' tools are superb (e.g. Chilkat, Siberix,
ChartDirector etc)

But not these guys...