I wanna do it the right way...

Matrix

I'm a newbee to html and dangerous enough to make some glossy pages,
attractive visually to others.

Can someone post some links to pages where I could get some basic info
about the way pages should be done properly?

I've read here about css staying here for good etc.

I know a little Adobe Photoshop and I have some nice Adobe templates and
of course I'm able to use them. (www.boxedart.com)

However I'm not very happy how it works and I love... full pages in any
screen resolution, like... that one.

http://www.cinnamon.nl/

Can be resize within a reason and all looks good.

(I'm going to look at it carefully.)

IMHO the best way to create good looking and appealing pages is to mix
GFX with properly designed tables and frames.

Please direct me to some basic tutorials.

TIA..

Pardon my Engrish! ;)

The Doormouse

Matrix said:
IMHO the best way to create good looking and appealing pages is to mix
GFX with properly designed tables and frames.

Tables and CSS ... with no frames :D
GFX used sparingly and appropriately

The Doormouse

BOFH

The said:
Tables and CSS ... with no frames :D
GFX used sparingly and appropriately

CSS .. with no frames or tables ;)~
Tables are not ment for layout, they're ment for .. ahum .. tables.

Davmagic .Com

Neal

I'm a newbee to html and dangerous enough to make some glossy pages,
attractive visually to others.

Can someone post some links to pages where I could get some basic info
about the way pages should be done properly?

w3schools.com has good tutorials, but discount the rubbish about table
layout and use CSS instead.

htmldog.com has some not-terribly-significant errors in its model (at
least for the beginner they aren't terribly problematic), and pushes XHTML
even though it might not be your best choice. Still, very well laid out.

Once you have the basics down, here's the bible:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/ and http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/ . Right now
these will be dense and frustrating, but once you have the concepts behind
it down, it will become much more readable.
I've read here about css staying here for good etc.

You got that right.
I know a little Adobe Photoshop and I have some nice Adobe templates and
of course I'm able to use them. (www.boxedart.com)

However I'm not very happy how it works and I love... full pages in any
screen resolution, like... that one.

http://www.cinnamon.nl/

Can be resize within a reason and all looks good.

(I'm going to look at it carefully.)

This is pro stuff. I like this site's design. I might study it a bit ;)
IMHO the best way to create good looking and appealing pages is to mix
GFX with properly designed tables and frames.

Bzzt. The above uses no frames, and they are so inappropriate for regular
website use you should forget they exist. And tables are not used either -
this site uses CSS to do all that. I suggest knowing all there is to know
about headings, paragraphs, lists and maybe forms, and how to style them
using CSS, and how to use divs and spans with CSS, and then how to
position/float divs as needed. Then and only then look at tables, and
frames? Forget 'em.

The Doormouse

BOFH said:
CSS .. with no frames or tables ;)~
Tables are not ment for layout, they're ment for .. ahum .. tables.

Tables are great for layout.

The Doormouse

Sid Ismail

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 00:28:48 +0200, BOFH

: The Doormouse wrote:
:
: >
: >
: >>CSS .. with no frames or tables ;)~
: >>Tables are not ment for layout, they're ment for .. ahum .. tables.
: >
: >
: > Tables are great for layout.
:
: Still, they're not *ment* for layout, that's what CSS is for. CSS loads
: faster and is much easier to maintain.

Naaah. Table for the top, with the 2 images, are FAR easier:
http://www.sabf.co.za/maccabi/maccabi.html

Sid

The Doormouse

BOFH said:
CSS loads faster and is much easier to maintain.

Not necessarily. Generating dynamic CSS in XSLT from XML data would be a
pill, but it is easy to make dynamic tables. Plus, you can add identifiers
to a table layout, making data mining and dynamic linking easier.

The Doormouse

Mark Parnell

Can someone post some links to pages where I could get some basic info
about the way pages should be done properly?

OK...let's see:
Can be resize within a reason and all looks good.
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign

IMHO the best way to create good looking and appealing pages is to mix
GFX

Graphics should be used judiciously, not to the extent where they
detract from the content (unless they _are_ the content, of course).
with properly designed tables

Only for tabular data.

http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts
and frames.

Don't even _think_ about using frames.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/l_vajzovic/tom/web/frames.html
http://dorward.me.uk/www/frames/
http://www.google.com/webmasters/2.html (see under "Your page uses
frames")
Please direct me to some basic tutorials.

As others have said, the specs are your bible. Read them, read them
again, then read them backwards (just kidding).

Beyond that, find sites that you like (a good place to start is in the
signatures of a few of the regulars here) and look at the source to see
how they do it. If there is something you can't work out, ask here. :)

The Doormouse

Leif K-Brooks said:
You mean like <div id="foo">?

Not exactly. If you use this example, you have to generate your CSS
dynamically for the page to work AND generate the HTML as well. Why
generate two files when one will do?

The Doormouse

Matrix

Davmagic, Neal, Tobby and Mark.

Many thanks guys.

I know that my grammar sux, but while I've read some posts here, I
understand, that many don't understand a simple question.

Few posts below, Frogleg was asking for some links to well designed web
pages.

Well, he went purple on his face and while two dozen posts suggested a
total lack of understanding a very simple question, some good guys
posted some answers.

That way I know what I can expect from whom. :)

Nice to meet you guys.

;)

Neal

... while two dozen posts suggested a total lack of understanding a very
simple question, some good guys posted some answers.

That way I know what I can expect from whom. :)

Watch out, we take turns ;)

Whitecrest

Can someone post some links to pages where I could get some basic info
about the way pages should be done properly?

Try to validate your HTML and CSS. Other than that it totally
depends on who your target audience is, and the content you want to
provide.

Whitecrest

: "Kool website"s with flashing animated GIFs saying "HOT" are so 1996.
Better than the slow flash rubbish of the 2000's

Slow flash is poorly developed flash (as is large flash).