I want to join a open-source project, who can give me some suggestions?

ant

hi, All
I am a experienceless programmer in Java. I want to improve my coding
technology in Java.
So, I want to join a open-source project. If you hava some
suggestiong, I hope you can tell me!
thanks a lot!

Best Regards!

Chris Smith

ant said:
hi, All
I am a experienceless programmer in Java. I want to improve my coding
technology in Java.
So, I want to join a open-source project. If you hava some
suggestiong, I hope you can tell me!

Java programming is quite a broad topic. Any idea what you want to do?
Working on web applications? J2ME and mobile apps? Graphics? Applets?
If you provide more specifics, I'm sure you'll get better replies.

Or are you just looking at learning the language? You should have a
decent level of skill in Java development -- and high standards for
yourself -- before you start trying to contribute to open source
projects. The quality standards for a successful open source software
project are no lower than the quality standards for commercial software
development; most of the time, they are considerably higher. If you are
still learning the Java language, you should work on your own projects
first until you are confident that you are producing good quality code,
making use of common language idioms properly, and so forth.

ant

Smith, thanks for your reply.
I know your means.
I forgot to introduce myself, I am sorry!
now, I'm working in a software company. I graduated from college 2
months ago just.
these days, I joined a company project using Java Applet. I think it is
useful, I know I should do it better first. But I think the time is
enough for me, I should do some others
at free time. And, I read some books about Struts, Hibernate
technology, I want to use these into practice. So I post the title,
wanna make progress in practice.
Maybe I am wrong. Java is so broad that I don't know which road I
should walk. I am fretful.
thanks,

Best Regards!

bwieliczko

That's a good question actually.

Are open-source projects in need of junior developers? I think I am
quite capable of producing decent quality code, but have little
practical design skills. I would like to join an open source project to
see the process of building large-scale apps and team-work in a
distributed environment. I'd prefer to do my temping open-source rather
than slaving for an e-commerce software house.

I'll try to describe my skills closer: I have good theoretical CS
background, read "Thinking in Java" and went through all the
exercises, wrote a few 400-500 lines long Java SE apps, have similar C
experience and am using Linux everyday.

I feel it's too early yet, but I'd be excited to find out that I am
wrong.

Thanks.

David N. Welton

That's a good question actually.

Are open-source projects in need of junior developers?

If the success of the Google Summer of Code is anything to go by, I'd
say the answer is a resounding 'yes'. Not all projects, probably, but
demand is there...
> I think I am
quite capable of producing decent quality code, but have little
practical design skills. I would like to join an open source project to
see the process of building large-scale apps and team-work in a
distributed environment. I'd prefer to do my temping open-source rather
than slaving for an e-commerce software house.

I'll try to describe my skills closer: I have good theoretical CS
background, read "Thinking in Java" and went through all the
exercises, wrote a few 400-500 lines long Java SE apps, have similar C
experience and am using Linux everyday.

Hecl (www.hecl.org) could probably use some extra people to help out
here and there. There are many projects at the Apache Software
Foundation that could probably benefit from someone looking at the list
of open bugs and attacking one or two at a time. Infact, that's
probably one of the best ways to get started - picking out some easy
bugs and fixing them.

--
David N. Welton
- http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
- http://www.dedasys.com/

Oliver Wong

That's a good question actually.

Are open-source projects in need of junior developers? I think I am
quite capable of producing decent quality code, but have little
practical design skills. I would like to join an open source project to
see the process of building large-scale apps and team-work in a
distributed environment. I'd prefer to do my temping open-source rather
than slaving for an e-commerce software house.

I'll try to describe my skills closer: I have good theoretical CS
background, read "Thinking in Java" and went through all the
exercises, wrote a few 400-500 lines long Java SE apps, have similar C
experience and am using Linux everyday.

I feel it's too early yet, but I'd be excited to find out that I am
wrong.

I could use help with my RPG engine (screenshots to get you excited:
http://jtbrpg.sourceforge.net/index.php?page=gallery )

- Oliver

Daniel Dyer

I could use help with my RPG engine (screenshots to get you excited:
http://jtbrpg.sourceforge.net/index.php?page=gallery )

- Oliver

Looks interesting. As an alternative, I have a much smaller scope (but
perhaps less glamourous) project that would be suitable for somebody who
is just starting out. It's an HTML reporting plug-in for TestNG
(http://www.testng.org). It currently consists of two classes and a few
Velocity templates. It does however offer scope for becoming more
complicated as extra features are added. If the OP wanted to help out
they would have quite a bit of freedom in this regard. It would be
interesting to see what it could become (the default TestNG report is
informative but not very easy on the eye). I've been using this reporter
for a while, but today I have uploaded it to java.net (no link available
until the project has been approved).

Dan.

Blazej Wieliczko

Thanks for your useful tips. Seems like there is a lot of work just
waiting to be done:)

Blazej Wieliczko

Thanks for your useful tips. It seems like there is a lot of work of
almost any difficulty just waiting to be done.