I want visitors to be able to leave comments...

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Eric, Mar 26, 2006.

  1. Eric

    Eric Guest

    Hey there

    I'm a self taught newbie, which I guess goes hand and hand.

    I'm building a site about retro and special edition Japanese video game
    consoles (www.japan-games.com). I'll have a page for each of the consoles.
    If you look at "Preview 3" you'll see a sample product page.

    There is sometimes debate about the release date, original price, limited
    quantities, etc of the older consoles. I wanted to include a Wikipedia-type
    message area where people can add their own comments if they have some bits
    of information to share. That way the page can collect small pieces of info
    and other interesting tidbits about the really rare consoles.

    Is a Wikipedia type service overkill for this? I just want to make it easy
    for someone to but able to add a quick comment without having to go through
    the email process. I've started to read from the WIkipedia site but mostly
    that's for setting up an entire Wikipedia-type site, not just one part of a
    static page. I could do that and then insert the wikipedia page into a
    frame on the static page for that particular console.

    Other options:

    I'll have a message board, and I was thinking of adding in a frame that has
    the open folder for that console or company on the mesage board.

    I was also thinking about just adding an email link and having them send
    comments to me and I can update the site manually.

    Or would a simple text box do the trick?

    If you guys could give me some tips I'd appreciate it.

    Thanks,
    Eric

    Eric, Mar 26, 2006

  2. In article <IMCVf.242$-kddi1.home.ne.jp>,
    says...
    > Hey there
    >
    > I'm a self taught newbie, which I guess goes hand and hand.
    >
    > I'm building a site about retro and special edition Japanese video game
    > consoles (www.japan-games.com). I'll have a page for each of the consoles.
    > If you look at "Preview 3" you'll see a sample product page.
    >
    > There is sometimes debate about the release date, original price, limited
    > quantities, etc of the older consoles.
    >
    > Or would a simple text box do the trick?

    No. You'll need some server-side processing to add the comment to the
    page, either by re-writing vanilla HTML, or by having some server-side
    process output database content to the browser. Look in to PHP with
    MySQL as an answer.

    --

    Hywel
    http://kibo.org.uk/

    Hywel Jenkins, Mar 26, 2006

  3. Eric

    Guest

    Hywel Jenkins wrote:
    > says...
    > > I'm building a site about retro and special edition Japanese video game
    > > consoles (www.japan-games.com). I'll have a page for each of the consoles.
    > > If you look at "Preview 3" you'll see a sample product page.
    > >
    > > There is sometimes debate about the release date, original price, limited
    > > quantities, etc of the older consoles.
    > >
    > > Or would a simple text box do the trick?

    > No. You'll need some server-side processing to add the comment to the
    > page, either by re-writing vanilla HTML, or by having some server-side
    > process output database content to the browser. Look in to PHP with
    > MySQL as an answer.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Hywel

    Hywel,

    Isn't PHP/MySQL needlessly complex for this kind of thing? We may be
    comfy arsing around with SQL, but if he's a newbie, I think Perl and
    text-files would be a FAR simpler way of achieving this - much better
    server support and dead simple code.

    If he wanted to go for a proper WIKI (note to newbie - DON'T), then
    maybe mySQL would be the best choice, but if just wants people to be
    able to swap thoughts, i'd suggest keeping it simple.

    Just my thoughts, Hywel does more of this than me i suspect.

    Dan Vesma (long time been away - now is back in alt.html)

    , Mar 27, 2006
  4. Eric

    Guest

    wrote:

    > Hywel Jenkins wrote:
    > > says...
    > > > I'm building a site about retro and special edition Japanese video game
    > > > consoles (www.japan-games.com). I'll have a page for each of the consoles.
    > > > If you look at "Preview 3" you'll see a sample product page.
    > > >
    > > > There is sometimes debate about the release date, original price, limited
    > > > quantities, etc of the older consoles.
    > > >
    > > > Or would a simple text box do the trick?

    > > No. You'll need some server-side processing to add the comment to the
    > > page, either by re-writing vanilla HTML, or by having some server-side
    > > process output database content to the browser. Look in to PHP with
    > > MySQL as an answer.
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Hywel

    > Hywel,
    >
    > Isn't PHP/MySQL needlessly complex for this kind of thing?

    Possibly, but it is scalable.

    > We may be
    > comfy arsing around with SQL, but if he's a newbie, I think Perl and
    > text-files would be a FAR simpler way of achieving this - much better
    > server support and dead simple code.

    Hmm. Perhaps a compromise on PHP and a text file?

    > Dan Vesma (long time been away - now is back in alt.html)

    Dan Vesma - didn't you used to be famous!? I think about you every
    time I drive past Web Tree Avenue is Hereford! How are things?

    --
    Hywel

    , Mar 28, 2006
  5. Eric

    Eric Guest

    Thanks for the comments...I'll start researching. I'll probably know
    quickly if I'm going to hit a wall.

    Eric, Mar 28, 2006
  6. Eric

    Dan Guest

    > > Isn't PHP/MySQL needlessly complex for this kind of thing?
    >
    > Possibly, but it is scalable.

    True.

    > > We may be
    > > comfy arsing around with SQL, but if he's a newbie, I think Perl and
    > > text-files would be a FAR simpler way of achieving this - much better
    > > server support and dead simple code.

    > Hmm. Perhaps a compromise on PHP and a text file?

    Might be a plan - am an old Perl user stuck in my ways - none of this
    fluffy PHP stuff!

    > > Dan Vesma (long time been away - now is back in alt.html)

    > Dan Vesma - didn't you used to be famous!? I think about you every
    > time I drive past Web Tree Avenue is Hereford! How are things?

    Hmmm... big time. Other than the occasional slating in Internet
    Magazine, i wouldn't exactly call it fame! You in the 'ford? Am over in
    Glos - should hook up for a beer it's been ages since I hung out in
    Hereford - went to school there (back in the day). Am doing stuff with
    Perl on Macs at the moment - webmail suite, DMS thingy, time management
    application. How 'bout you - what you workin on?

    Dan

    Dan, Mar 28, 2006
  7. Eric

    Jim Higson Guest

    Eric wrote:

    > Hey there
    >
    > I'm a self taught newbie, which I guess goes hand and hand.
    >
    > I'm building a site about retro and special edition Japanese video game
    > consoles (www.japan-games.com). I'll have a page for each of the
    > consoles. If you look at "Preview 3" you'll see a sample product page.
    >
    > There is sometimes debate about the release date, original price, limited
    > quantities, etc of the older consoles. I wanted to include a
    > Wikipedia-type message area where people can add their own comments if
    > they have some bits
    > of information to share. That way the page can collect small pieces of
    > info and other interesting tidbits about the really rare consoles.
    >
    > Is a Wikipedia type service overkill for this? I just want to make it
    > easy for someone to but able to add a quick comment without having to go
    > through
    > the email process. I've started to read from the WIkipedia site but
    > mostly that's for setting up an entire Wikipedia-type site, not just one
    > part of a
    > static page. I could do that and then insert the wikipedia page into a
    > frame on the static page for that particular console.
    >
    > Other options:
    >
    > I'll have a message board, and I was thinking of adding in a frame that
    > has the open folder for that console or company on the mesage board.
    >
    > I was also thinking about just adding an email link and having them send
    > comments to me and I can update the site manually.
    >
    > Or would a simple text box do the trick?
    >
    > If you guys could give me some tips I'd appreciate it.

    Most recent CMS allow user comments, and aren't too difficult to set up.
    Personally I use Drupal - it handles all the SQL backend for you so you
    don't have to worry about the low level stuff too much.

    Take a look at some Drupal sites to see what I mean. There's a quite full
    list at http://drupal.org/image/tid/41

    Mambo/Joomla is also pretty well regarded, but I've never liked it much.

    --
    Jim

    Jim Higson, Mar 29, 2006