I will pay for perl help

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Lila Duncan, Jan 27, 2005.

  1. Lila Duncan

    Lila Duncan Guest

    Hi,
    I'm a newbie. I think perl is great and I'm busy getting together
    documentation and links so I can learn more about it.
    I installed ActivePerl on my Win XP computer.
    I recently wrote to the perl.beginners group about a problem I was having
    but I got ignored. Maybe I wasn't advanced enough for them. :)
    My reasons for wanting to learn perl are practical and commercial.
    I'd like to become a proficient buyer and seller on eBay.
    I read David A Karp's book "ebay Hacks" in which he recommends the use of
    perlscripts for automating eBay searches. The example files he gives don't
    seem to be working for me at present. Maybe it's because the originals were
    written to be run on a unix-like system and I'm running win-xp.
    Anyway I've tried various modifications but so far I don't have enough
    skill to overcome the problems.
    I'd be glad to pay for any advice or help on this subject. I can pay by
    PayPal or other methods. Please email me if you're interested.

    My address is:
    Remove 'XSPAM' to mail me.
    --
    Lila Duncan

    Lila Duncan, Jan 27, 2005

  2. Lila Duncan <> wrote in

    http://jobs.perl.org/

    A. Sinan Unur, Jan 27, 2005

  3. Lila Duncan

    Lila Duncan Guest

    On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 14:32:45 GMT, "A. Sinan Unur"
    <> wrote:

    >Lila Duncan <> wrote in
    >
    >> I'd be glad to pay for any advice or help on this subject. I can pay
    >> by PayPal or other methods. Please email me if you're interested.

    >http://jobs.perl.org/

    Thanks for the reply. I went to the site and entered my email and name to
    open an account. It didn't specifically announce that it would send me a
    confirming email but I,m waiting for one expectantly. :)
    --
    Lila Duncan

    Lila Duncan, Jan 27, 2005
  4. Lila Duncan

    Guest

    Lila Duncan wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I'm a newbie. I think perl is great and I'm busy getting together
    > documentation and links so I can learn more about it.
    > I installed ActivePerl on my Win XP computer.
    > I recently wrote to the perl.beginners group about a problem I was

    having
    > but I got ignored. Maybe I wasn't advanced enough for them. :)
    > My reasons for wanting to learn perl are practical and commercial.
    > I'd like to become a proficient buyer and seller on eBay.
    > I read David A Karp's book "ebay Hacks" in which he recommends the

    use of
    > perlscripts for automating eBay searches. The example files he gives

    don't
    > seem to be working for me at present.

    What happened when you tried his files that made you think that they
    did not work?

    Look at http://search.cpan.org/ and type in the word 'ebay' and search
    for any relevent Perl modules. There are a few things that come up
    that could be exactly what you need. Even if you pay someone else to
    do the work, it might help to be as informed as possible about what
    needs to be done. It might be trivially easy, maybe even worth
    learning a little Perl. Good luck!

    wana

    >Maybe it's because the originals were
    > written to be run on a unix-like system and I'm running win-xp.
    > Anyway I've tried various modifications but so far I don't have

    enough
    > skill to overcome the problems.
    > I'd be glad to pay for any advice or help on this subject. I can pay

    by
    > PayPal or other methods. Please email me if you're interested.
    >
    > My address is:
    > Remove 'XSPAM' to mail me.
    > --
    > Lila Duncan

    , Jan 28, 2005
  5. Lila Duncan

    Lila Duncan Guest

    On 27 Jan 2005 21:37:44 -0800, wrote:

    >Lila Duncan wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> I'm a newbie. I think perl is great and I'm busy getting together
    >> documentation and links so I can learn more about it.
    >> I installed ActivePerl on my Win XP computer.
    >> I recently wrote to the perl.beginners group about a problem I was

    >having
    >> but I got ignored. Maybe I wasn't advanced enough for them. :)
    >> My reasons for wanting to learn perl are practical and commercial.
    >> I'd like to become a proficient buyer and seller on eBay.
    >> I read David A Karp's book "ebay Hacks" in which he recommends the

    >use of
    >> perlscripts for automating eBay searches. The example files he gives

    >don't
    >> seem to be working for me at present.

    >What happened when you tried his files that made you think that they
    >did not work?

    I get errors that I believe are related to the original file being
    structured for use on a unix-like system.
    The initial errors refer to not finding the path to a "search results"
    text file.
    I've tried a number of suggestions for delimiter and quote variations on
    this pathname, to the extent that the script moves on 15 lines or so.
    The next error seems to be referring once again to problems with the
    earlier pathname.

    >Look at http://search.cpan.org/ and type in the word 'ebay' and search
    >for any relevent Perl modules. There are a few things that come up
    >that could be exactly what you need.

    Thanks I'd already downloaded one WWW-Search-Ebay module using PMM.
    I followed the link you gave and see that there are a number of others
    there. Also, much more detailed information on these and the one I already
    have installed, so thanks very much for that.

    > Even if you pay someone else to
    >do the work, it might help to be as informed as possible about what
    >needs to be done. It might be trivially easy, maybe even worth
    >learning a little Perl. Good luck!

    The book I was reading which introduced me to the idea of using Perl did
    it in a way that kind of sneaked Perl up on me and pretended it was a piece
    of cake. I might 've taken flight on seeing the errors and potential errors
    coming over the horizon, had it not been for the realisation that Perl
    could be a big help in more ways than making eBay searches easier and more
    productive.
    I'm currently finding and starting to read a lot of documentation. It
    already looks like I'm in for the long haul.

    Thanks for the encouragement.
    --
    Lila Duncan

    Lila Duncan, Jan 28, 2005