    PHP2 Guest

    I wish buy Perl book tomorrow by Amazon.. I am new in Perl development..

    Pls. send to me advices..

    PHP2, Feb 18, 2004

  2. David K. Wall, Feb 18, 2004

  3. PHP2

    Bill Guest

    Bill, Feb 19, 2004
  4. PHP2

    PHP2 Guest

    thanks

    PHP2, Feb 19, 2004
  5. PHP2

    toylet Guest

    toylet, Feb 20, 2004
  6. PHP2

    Uri Guttman Guest

    t> read them online. :)
    t> http://iis1.cps.unizar.es/Oreilly/perl/

    you are supporting and promoting thieves.

    i am sure this will get you killfiled by many here. you won't get help
    from me anymore.

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Feb 20, 2004
  7. On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 00:29:29 +0800, toylet wrote:

    > read them online. :)
    >
    > http://iis1.cps.unizar.es/Oreilly/perl/

    I wouldn't - this is probably an *illegal* copy of the CD Bookshelf.

    I'm thinking O'Reilly will thank you for posting this web address on the
    'Net. Too bad the best you'll get out of this is good karma :)

    --
    Jim

    for more information.

    a fortune quote ...
    What the world *really* needs is a good Automatic Bicycle
    <Sharpener.

    James Willmore, Feb 20, 2004
  8. PHP2

    Matt Garrish Guest

    "Uri Guttman" <> wrote in message

    > t> read them online. :)
    > t> http://iis1.cps.unizar.es/Oreilly/perl/
    >
    > you are supporting and promoting thieves.

    Sadly, the thief in question not only left in the copyright marks, but also
    reproduced O'Reilly's copyright on his site. Not an auspicious beginning to
    his life of crime...

    Matt

    Matt Garrish, Feb 20, 2004
  9. >>>>> "Matt" == Matt Garrish <> writes:

    Matt> Sadly, the thief in question not only left in the copyright
    Matt> marks, but also reproduced O'Reilly's copyright on his site. Not
    Matt> an auspicious beginning to his life of crime...

    That's a trivial loading of the Perl CD Bookshelf onto a web server.
    I've seen it before, reported it before. O'Reilly is happy to make
    the appropriate threatening sounds, and that usually gets it cleared
    up in a few days or so.

    Randal L. Schwartz, Feb 21, 2004
  10. PHP2

    toylet Guest

    It's actually found by google.com. I myself has my own stock of web
    server cd shelf. I was not promoting the site. Maybe I should just post
    http://www.google.com

    > I wouldn't - this is probably an *illegal* copy of the CD Bookshelf.
    >
    > I'm thinking O'Reilly will thank you for posting this web address on the
    > 'Net. Too bad the best you'll get out of this is good karma :)

    --
    .~. Might, Courage, Vision. In Linux We Trust.
    / v \ http://www.linux-sxs.org

    toylet, Feb 21, 2004
  11. PHP2

    toylet Guest

    This kind of links could easily be found by google. There are even *.edu
    that did that, Notably in certain 3rd world countries. I had nothing to
    do with the site. DOn't mis-understand.

    --
    .~. Might, Courage, Vision. In Linux We Trust.
    / v \ http://www.linux-sxs.org
    /( _ )\ Linux 2.4.22-xfs
    ^ ^ 2:48pm up 15:08 1 user 1.00 0.99

    toylet, Feb 21, 2004
  12. PHP2

    Matt Garrish Guest

    "toylet" <> wrote in message
    > This kind of links could easily be found by google. There are even *.edu
    > that did that, Notably in certain 3rd world countries. I had nothing to
    > do with the site. DOn't mis-understand.

    I don't think anyone is blaming you (well, maybe Uri) for posting those
    books online. Just be aware that there are people who read this newsgroup,
    like Randal, who authored or contributed to those books, so this is not the
    forum to be recommending pirated information. Either point people to the
    free documentation or suggest they buy a book / subscription.

    Matt

    Matt Garrish, Feb 21, 2004
  13. On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 14:48:31 +0800, toylet wrote:
    [don't top post - it's rude]
    [reformated]

    >> I wouldn't - this is probably an *illegal* copy of the CD Bookshelf.
    >>
    >> I'm thinking O'Reilly will thank you for posting this web address on the
    >> 'Net. Too bad the best you'll get out of this is good karma :)

    > It's actually found by google.com. I myself has my own stock of web
    > server cd shelf. I was not promoting the site. Maybe I should just post
    > http://www.google.com

    No. You should post the O'Reilly web site - since they already have a way
    to view books on line. It's called Safari - and it's the *only* place to
    view O'Reilly books on line.

    There are, however, a few book that are covered under an open source
    license - such as "Free as in Freedom". However, I know of *NO* Perl book
    that is covered under an open source license.

    Bottom line - go to O'Reilly to view books on line :)

    --
    Jim

    for more information.

    a fortune quote ...
    Only presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the
    right to use the editorial "we."

    James Willmore, Feb 21, 2004
  14. PHP2

    Bart Lateur Guest

    James Willmore wrote:

    >There are, however, a few book that are covered under an open source
    >license - such as "Free as in Freedom". However, I know of *NO* Perl book
    >that is covered under an open source license.

    No? What about "Beginning Perl" by SImon Cozens?

    <http://learn.perl.org/library/beginning_perl/>

    And yes, that is an actual book:

    <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1861003145/104-8031750-1312743?v=glance>

    --
    Bart.

    Bart Lateur, Feb 22, 2004
  15. PHP2

    toylet Guest

    >> It's actually found by google.com. I myself has my own stock of web
    >> server cd shelf. I was not promoting the site. Maybe I should just post
    >> http://www.google.com

    > No. You should post the O'Reilly web site - since they already have a way
    > to view books on line. It's called Safari - and it's the *only* place to
    > view O'Reilly books on line.

    Or pay a visit to a library (be it online, public or private) and borrow
    a book. I think we could find Oreilly books in public libraries, right? :)

    --
    .~. Might, Courage, Vision. In Linux We Trust.
    / v \ http://www.linux-sxs.org
    /( _ )\ Linux 2.4.22-xfs
    ^ ^ 9:46pm up 2:17 1 user 1.00 0.99

    toylet, Feb 22, 2004
  16. On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 21:48:20 +0800, toylet wrote:

    >>> It's actually found by google.com. I myself has my own stock of web
    >>> server cd shelf. I was not promoting the site. Maybe I should just post
    >>> http://www.google.com

    >> No. You should post the O'Reilly web site - since they already have a way
    >> to view books on line. It's called Safari - and it's the *only* place to
    >> view O'Reilly books on line.

    > Or pay a visit to a library (be it online, public or private) and borrow
    > a book. I think we could find Oreilly books in public libraries, right? :)

    Maybe ... I haven't been in a public library in 20+ years and have not
    been in a college library in about 15 years (since I earned my degree) :)

    --
    Jim

    for more information.

    a fortune quote ...
    Bipolar, adj.: Refers to someone who has homes in Nome, Alaska,
    and Buffalo, New York

    James Willmore, Feb 22, 2004
  17. PHP2

    Uri Guttman Guest

    MG> "toylet" <> wrote in message

    >> This kind of links could easily be found by google. There are even *.edu
    >> that did that, Notably in certain 3rd world countries. I had nothing to
    >> do with the site. DOn't mis-understand.

    MG> I don't think anyone is blaming you (well, maybe Uri) for posting
    MG> those books online. Just be aware that there are people who read
    MG> this newsgroup, like Randal, who authored or contributed to those
    MG> books, so this is not the forum to be recommending pirated
    MG> information. Either point people to the free documentation or
    MG> suggest they buy a book / subscription.

    i do blame him for even posting the link. if he knows it is a bootleg
    and he still posts the link then he is either very stupid or condoning
    the theft. sorry to be so harsh but i have to ask why he did that at
    all? and then he says google has plenty of hits. so let the kiddies
    google for themselves and not give them any extra help.

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Feb 22, 2004
  18. PHP2

    > MG> "toylet" <> wrote in message
    >
    > >> This kind of links could easily be found by google. There are even

    *.edu
    > >> that did that, Notably in certain 3rd world countries. I had nothing

    > >> do with the site. DOn't mis-understand.

    > MG> I don't think anyone is blaming you (well, maybe Uri) for posting
    > MG> those books online. Just be aware that there are people who read
    > MG> this newsgroup, like Randal, who authored or contributed to those
    > MG> books, so this is not the forum to be recommending pirated
    > MG> information. Either point people to the free documentation or
    > MG> suggest they buy a book / subscription.
    >
    > i do blame him for even posting the link. if he knows it is a bootleg
    > and he still posts the link then he is either very stupid or condoning
    > the theft.

    Or young and naive about where he was posting (which the pseudonym would
    attest to). I was just trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I
    haven't seen an acknowledgement that he understands why what he did was
    offensive, so I hope you don't mind if I join your camp for a while...

    On a positive note, it appears that the site has finally been
    decommissioned.

    Matt

    Matt Garrish, Feb 23, 2004