I wish buy Perl book

PHP2

I wish buy Perl book tomorrow by Amazon.. I am new in Perl development..

Pls. send to me advices..

James Willmore

I wouldn't - this is probably an *illegal* copy of the CD Bookshelf.

I'm thinking O'Reilly will thank you for posting this web address on the
'Net. Too bad the best you'll get out of this is good karma :)

--
Jim

for more information.

a fortune quote ...
What the world *really* needs is a good Automatic Bicycle
<Sharpener.

Randal L. Schwartz

Matt> Sadly, the thief in question not only left in the copyright
Matt> marks, but also reproduced O'Reilly's copyright on his site. Not
Matt> an auspicious beginning to his life of crime...

That's a trivial loading of the Perl CD Bookshelf onto a web server.
I've seen it before, reported it before. O'Reilly is happy to make
the appropriate threatening sounds, and that usually gets it cleared
up in a few days or so.

toylet

This kind of links could easily be found by google. There are even *.edu
that did that, Notably in certain 3rd world countries. I had nothing to
do with the site. DOn't mis-understand.

Matt Garrish

toylet said:
This kind of links could easily be found by google. There are even *.edu
that did that, Notably in certain 3rd world countries. I had nothing to
do with the site. DOn't mis-understand.

I don't think anyone is blaming you (well, maybe Uri) for posting those
books online. Just be aware that there are people who read this newsgroup,
like Randal, who authored or contributed to those books, so this is not the
forum to be recommending pirated information. Either point people to the
free documentation or suggest they buy a book / subscription.

Matt

James Willmore

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 14:48:31 +0800, toylet wrote:
[don't top post - it's rude]
[reformated]
It's actually found by google.com. I myself has my own stock of web
server cd shelf. I was not promoting the site. Maybe I should just post
http://www.google.com

No. You should post the O'Reilly web site - since they already have a way
to view books on line. It's called Safari - and it's the *only* place to
view O'Reilly books on line.

There are, however, a few book that are covered under an open source
license - such as "Free as in Freedom". However, I know of *NO* Perl book
that is covered under an open source license.

Bottom line - go to O'Reilly to view books on line :)

--
Jim

for more information.

a fortune quote ...
Only presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the
right to use the editorial "we."

toylet

It's actually found by google.com. I myself has my own stock of web
No. You should post the O'Reilly web site - since they already have a way
to view books on line. It's called Safari - and it's the *only* place to
view O'Reilly books on line.

Or pay a visit to a library (be it online, public or private) and borrow
a book. I think we could find Oreilly books in public libraries, right? :)

James Willmore

Or pay a visit to a library (be it online, public or private) and borrow
a book. I think we could find Oreilly books in public libraries, right? :)

Maybe ... I haven't been in a public library in 20+ years and have not
been in a college library in about 15 years (since I earned my degree) :)

--
Jim

for more information.

a fortune quote ...
Bipolar, adj.: Refers to someone who has homes in Nome, Alaska,
and Buffalo, New York

Uri Guttman

MG> I don't think anyone is blaming you (well, maybe Uri) for posting
MG> those books online. Just be aware that there are people who read
MG> this newsgroup, like Randal, who authored or contributed to those
MG> books, so this is not the forum to be recommending pirated
MG> information. Either point people to the free documentation or
MG> suggest they buy a book / subscription.

i do blame him for even posting the link. if he knows it is a bootleg
and he still posts the link then he is either very stupid or condoning
the theft. sorry to be so harsh but i have to ask why he did that at
all? and then he says google has plenty of hits. so let the kiddies
google for themselves and not give them any extra help.

uri

Matt Garrish

Uri Guttman said:
MG> I don't think anyone is blaming you (well, maybe Uri) for posting
MG> those books online. Just be aware that there are people who read
MG> this newsgroup, like Randal, who authored or contributed to those
MG> books, so this is not the forum to be recommending pirated
MG> information. Either point people to the free documentation or
MG> suggest they buy a book / subscription.

i do blame him for even posting the link. if he knows it is a bootleg
and he still posts the link then he is either very stupid or condoning
the theft.

Or young and naive about where he was posting (which the pseudonym would
attest to). I was just trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I
haven't seen an acknowledgement that he understands why what he did was
offensive, so I hope you don't mind if I join your camp for a while...

On a positive note, it appears that the site has finally been
decommissioned.

Matt