I wonder if someone could answer this question for me!

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Oli Filth, Jan 16, 2005.

  1. Oli Filth

    Oli Filth Guest

    Kate wrote:
    > I have been looking for ways to be able to only change my menu from one file
    > for quiet a while now. And over the last few days have been reading some of
    > the posts on topics relating to this. I even downloaded the programme
    > includeHTML, ( http://rosenlundnielsen.dk/software/ ) after reading the
    > link http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another that Mark
    > Parnell pointed out, but I don't understand how it works. No matter how
    > much I read and re-read the help file included in it.
    >
    > My server supports php but I also don't know enough about that at the moment
    > to use it. In time I do intend to learn more on these subjects, as I taught
    > myself html and css. But being a single working mother, doesn't give me the
    > time I would like to spend learning more on these issues.
    >
    > So now I was wondering if I had the menu inside a javascript file with ccs
    > for layout, how well do search engines do with this format? At the moment I
    > have a site with frames and a non-frames version for those that don't
    > support it, but I would so much rather have just the one that I could update
    > the menu from one file.
    >
    > Any information on this subject would be really, really gratefully received.

    If you have PHP on your server, this would be by far the best way to do
    this. I would recommend trying to learn PHP, as it can do loads of
    useful stuff.

    To solve your menu problem, rename all of your .htm files as .php files.
    Then, wherever you want your menu to appear in your HTML, insert the
    following code:

    <?php include "menu.htm"; ?>

    Put the HTML for the menu in menu.htm.

    --
    Oli

    Oli Filth, Jan 16, 2005

  2. Oli Filth

    Kate Guest

[...]

    Many thanks in advance,
    Kate

    Kate, Jan 16, 2005

  3. Oli Filth

    Alan Cole Guest

    In article <>,
    "Kate" <> wrote:

    > I have been looking for ways to be able to only change my menu from one file
    > for quiet a while now. And over the last few days have been reading some of
    > the posts on topics relating to this. I even downloaded the programme
    > includeHTML, ( http://rosenlundnielsen.dk/software/ ) after reading the
    > link http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another that Mark
    > Parnell pointed out, but I don't understand how it works. No matter how
    > much I read and re-read the help file included in it.
    >
    > My server supports php but I also don't know enough about that at the moment
    > to use it. In time I do intend to learn more on these subjects, as I taught
    > myself html and css. But being a single working mother, doesn't give me the
    > time I would like to spend learning more on these issues.
    >
    > So now I was wondering if I had the menu inside a javascript file with ccs
    > for layout, how well do search engines do with this format? At the moment I
    > have a site with frames and a non-frames version for those that don't
    > support it, but I would so much rather have just the one that I could update
    > the menu from one file.
    >
    > Any information on this subject would be really, really gratefully received.
    >
    > Many thanks in advance,
    > Kate

    You could rename your html files to have a .shtml suffix rather than
    ..htm or .html and then wherever you want your 'menu' file to appear
    simply use the following:

    <!--#include virtual="./menu.shtml" -->

    Hope that helps.

    Al.

    --
    Alan Cole. E-mail: justal at lineone dot net
    http://www.forces-of-nature.co.uk [Coastal Sports]

    Alan Cole, Jan 16, 2005
  4. Oli Filth

    Kate Guest

    "Oli Filth" <> wrote in message
    > Kate wrote:
    > > I have been looking for ways to be able to only change my menu from one

    file
    > > for quiet a while now. And over the last few days have been reading

    some of
    > > the posts on topics relating to this. I even downloaded the programme
    > > includeHTML, ( http://rosenlundnielsen.dk/software/ ) after reading

    the
    > > link http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another that

    Mark
    > > Parnell pointed out, but I don't understand how it works. No matter how
    > > much I read and re-read the help file included in it.
    > >
    > > My server supports php but I also don't know enough about that at the

    moment
    > > to use it. In time I do intend to learn more on these subjects, as I

    taught
    > > myself html and css. But being a single working mother, doesn't give me

    the
    > > time I would like to spend learning more on these issues.
    > >
    > > So now I was wondering if I had the menu inside a javascript file with

    ccs
    > > for layout, how well do search engines do with this format? At the

    moment I
    > > have a site with frames and a non-frames version for those that don't
    > > support it, but I would so much rather have just the one that I could

    update
    > > the menu from one file.
    > >
    > > Any information on this subject would be really, really gratefully

    received.

    > If you have PHP on your server, this would be by far the best way to do
    > this. I would recommend trying to learn PHP, as it can do loads of
    > useful stuff.
    >
    > To solve your menu problem, rename all of your .htm files as .php files.
    > Then, wherever you want your menu to appear in your HTML, insert the
    > following code:
    >
    > <?php include "menu.htm"; ?>
    >
    > Put the HTML for the menu in menu.htm.
    >

    > --
    > Oli

    Oli thank you so much, that seems to have the desired affect. I am very
    grateful to you. Have a great Sunday!

    Best wishes,
    Kate

    Kate, Jan 16, 2005
  5. Oli Filth

    Kate Guest

    "Alan Cole" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > "Kate" <> wrote:
    >
    > > I have been looking for ways to be able to only change my menu from one

    file
    > > for quiet a while now. And over the last few days have been reading

    some of
    > > the posts on topics relating to this. I even downloaded the programme
    > > includeHTML, ( http://rosenlundnielsen.dk/software/ ) after reading

    the
    > > link http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another that

    Mark
    > > Parnell pointed out, but I don't understand how it works. No matter how
    > > much I read and re-read the help file included in it.
    > >
    > > My server supports php but I also don't know enough about that at the

    moment
    > > to use it. In time I do intend to learn more on these subjects, as I

    taught
    > > myself html and css. But being a single working mother, doesn't give me

    the
    > > time I would like to spend learning more on these issues.
    > >
    > > So now I was wondering if I had the menu inside a javascript file with

    ccs
    > > for layout, how well do search engines do with this format? At the

    moment I
    > > have a site with frames and a non-frames version for those that don't
    > > support it, but I would so much rather have just the one that I could

    update
    > > the menu from one file.
    > >
    > > Any information on this subject would be really, really gratefully

    received.

    > > Many thanks in advance,
    > > Kate

    > You could rename your html files to have a .shtml suffix rather than
    > .htm or .html and then wherever you want your 'menu' file to appear
    > simply use the following:
    >
    > <!--#include virtual="./menu.shtml" -->
    >

    > Hope that helps.
    >
    > Al.
    >
    > --
    > Alan Cole. E-mail: justal at lineone dot net
    > http://www.forces-of-nature.co.uk [Coastal Sports]
    > http://www.tsunami-site-design.co.uk [Website Design]
    > http://tinyurl.com/64xrd [Plusnet ISP]

    Thank you both so much, both work great. You have saved me going slightly
    made. I have as I stated read and re-read so much documentation over the
    last couple nights. :) Just a couple of questions though if you don't
    mind indulging me a little longer. Would I be able to use css with the menu
    file for layout and how do search engines handle the include?

    Many thanks in advance,
    Kate

    Kate, Jan 16, 2005
  6. Oli Filth

    Alan Cole Guest

    > Thank you both so much, both work great. You have saved me going slightly
    > made. I have as I stated read and re-read so much documentation over the
    > last couple nights. :) Just a couple of questions though if you don't
    > mind indulging me a little longer. Would I be able to use css with the menu
    > file for layout and how do search engines handle the include?
    >
    > Many thanks in advance,
    > Kate

    css will work fine... you can either put the css inline in the menu file
    or in the file containing the include statement, or link to it from
    either the menu file or from the file containing the include statement.

    Search engine will catalogue the contents of the included file as if it
    were in the file that contains the include statement.

    Basically, by the time the information gets to the browser (or search
    engine robot) it is as if the included file were actually just a part of

    Alan Cole, Jan 16, 2005
  7. Oli Filth

    Kate Guest

    "Alan Cole" <> wrote in message

    > > Thank you both so much, both work great. You have saved me going

    slightly
    > > made. I have as I stated read and re-read so much documentation over

    the
    > > last couple nights. :) Just a couple of questions though if you don't
    > > mind indulging me a little longer. Would I be able to use css with the

    menu
    > > file for layout and how do search engines handle the include?
    > >
    > > Many thanks in advance,
    > > Kate

    > css will work fine... you can either put the css inline in the menu file
    > or in the file containing the include statement, or link to it from
    > either the menu file or from the file containing the include statement.
    >
    > Search engine will catalogue the contents of the included file as if it
    > were in the file that contains the include statement.
    >
    > Basically, by the time the information gets to the browser (or search
    > engine robot) it is as if the included file were actually just a part of
    > the file containing the include statement.
    >

    > Al.

    That's brilliant! I don't know how to thank you, :-() you really have made
    my day! Time to myself is so precious in my household, and this has made
    updating my site so much easier for me.

    I have spent so many hours trawling the net to find in a layman's terms
    explanation of how I do this, but always seemed to get search pages full of
    technical this is how you do it. Both of your pieces of advice have been
    great.

    I hope you wont mind me coming back at a latter date with some more
    questions, but for now I'm a very happy individual.

    Thank you once again, have a great Sunday evening.
    Kate.

    Kate, Jan 16, 2005
  8. Oli Filth

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Kate scribbled in the mud:

    > You have saved me going slightly made.

    That could be interesting. :)

    --
    D?
    http://wipkip.biz just to raise my PR

    Duende, Jan 16, 2005
  9. Oli Filth

    Alan Cole Guest

    > That's brilliant! I don't know how to thank you, :-() you really have made
    > my day! Time to myself is so precious in my household, and this has made
    > updating my site so much easier for me.
    >
    > I have spent so many hours trawling the net to find in a layman's terms
    > explanation of how I do this, but always seemed to get search pages full of
    > technical this is how you do it. Both of your pieces of advice have been
    > great.
    >
    > I hope you wont mind me coming back at a latter date with some more
    > questions, but for now I'm a very happy individual.
    >
    > Thank you once again, have a great Sunday evening.
    > Kate.

    No problem, it's good to be able to help others as I'm usually the one
    asking the questions!

    Al.

    Alan Cole, Jan 16, 2005
  10. Oli Filth

    Kate Guest

    "Duende" <> wrote in message
    > While sitting in a puddle Kate scribbled in the mud:
    >
    > > You have saved me going slightly made.

    > That could be interesting. :)
    >
    > --
    > D?
    > http://wipkip.biz just to raise my PR

    lol... umm yes seven year old was having a temper tantrum at the time of
    writing. No I haven't become a member of any mafia group.

    Kate

    Kate, Jan 16, 2005
  11. Oli Filth

    Sid Ismail Guest

    Sid Ismail, Jan 17, 2005
  12. Oli Filth

    Kate Guest

    "Sid Ismail" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 16:03:22 -0000, "Kate" <> wrote:
    >
    > : I even downloaded the programme
    > : includeHTML, ( http://rosenlundnielsen.dk/software/ ) after reading

    the
    > : link http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another that

    Mark
    > : Parnell pointed out, but I don't understand how it works. No matter how
    > : much I read and re-read the help file included in it.
    >

    > Read this: http://bignosebird.com/ssi.shtml
    >
    > Luck,
    >
    > Sid

    Thank you for the links Sid, I am going to print info of later on.

    Have a good week,
    Kate

    Kate, Jan 17, 2005