i18n pot file

anabell

Hi, I'm trying to localize to Chinese language. In the pot file header,
there appears:

"POT-Creation-Date: Thu Oct 16 17:07:14 2003\n"
"PO-Revision-Date: 2003-10-16 HO:MI+ZONE\n"
"Last-Translator: Anabell chan <[email protected]>\n"
"Language-Team: LANGUAGE <[email protected]>\n"
"Generated-By: pygettext.py 1.5\n"

What should i fill in the 'CHARSET' and 'ENCODING' ?

anabell said:
Hi, I'm trying to localize to Chinese language. In the pot file header,
there appears:

"POT-Creation-Date: Thu Oct 16 17:07:14 2003\n"
"PO-Revision-Date: 2003-10-16 HO:MI+ZONE\n"
"Last-Translator: Anabell chan <[email protected]
<mailto:[email protected]>>\n"
"Language-Team: LANGUAGE <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>>\n"
"Generated-By: pygettext.py 1.5\n"
What should i fill in the 'CHARSET' and 'ENCODING' ?

It depends. The best CHARSET to use is UTF-8
but of course you have to enter UTF-8 data into
the po file. You can write all languages in UTF-8.
There are charsets specific to language (groups)
which you may prefer. For e.g.
Big5 for traditional chinese
gb2312 for simplified chinese
ISO-8859-15 for western European languages

The ENCODING should be 8bit in all cases

The handiest thing to do is to look at examples:
http://www2.iro.umontreal.ca/~gnutra/registry.cgi?team=zh_CN

Maybe you could even practice on my application :)
http://www2.iro.umontreal.ca/~gnutra/registry.cgi?domain=fslint

Pádraig.

Radovan Garabik

It depends. The best CHARSET to use is UTF-8
but of course you have to enter UTF-8 data into
the po file. You can write all languages in UTF-8.

of course, strictly speaking this is not true.
There are languages with scripts not
included into unicode yet (such as Old Slavic
glagolitic script), or languages already rejected
from unicode (e.g. Klingon script)...
Just nitpicking.

| Radovan Garabík http://melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk/~garabik/ |
| __..--^^^--..__ garabik @ kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk |