i18n'ed file and directory names

lbrtchx

Hi,
~
You could tell I am a freaking Westerner ;-) and maybe to them this
is not an issue at all
~
I was wondering how do you manage naming files and directories using
CJK languages, Arabic, Hebrew, ... if file systems would only take,
what?, LATIN-1 characters?
~
I code in Java and I was wondering about best practices for using
file and directory names that could be used accross Windows, *nix and
MAC OS, specially if those file names are supposed to best match URLs
~
Thanks
lbrtchx

Roedy Green

I was wondering how do you manage naming files and directories using
CJK languages, Arabic, Hebrew, ... if file systems would only take,
what?, LATIN-1 characters?

Windows and Linux take Unicode, with some magic reserved chars.

My rule. use A-Z a-Z 0-0 _ .

You are pretty safe that will work anywhere.

The problem is going to become more acute with global file sharing, in
much the same way local encodings became a problem with the Internet.

lbrtchx

My rule. use A-Z a-Z 0-0 _ .
~
even your rule, namely: [A-Z], [a-z], [0-9], "_", "."
~
has its issues in OSs/FSs that do not fully take into account letter
case
~
For Unix FILE.TXT and file.txt are two different files. Windows would
have issues dealing with such files in the same directory
~
lbrtchx