IBM's JVM?

Alex.From.Ohio.Java

<http://it.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=613673&cid=24186809> mentions
"IBM's java engine". My question is... where can I find this JVM?

I have a Java applet that I've tested on Sun's JVM and on Microsoft's
now defunct JVM, but if there are other JVM's out there, I'd like to
test my applets out on them just to make sure they work as I'd expect.

Such beast does exist and name's J9.
Don't worry. It exists only on server side (Websphere) and usually
doesn't escape the cage.

Another area would be mobile application created by IBM but it's even
more rare creature.

It's possible to extract J9 and use it as base for Java Web Start
approach but then it's still used for this particular JWS application.

So, chances that your applet will run on J9 are practically zero. And
even so J9 is (mostly) compatible with regular Sun's Java.

Alex.
http://www.myjavaserver.com/~alexfromohio/

Arne Vajhøj

yawnmoth said:
<http://it.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=613673&cid=24186809> mentions
"IBM's java engine". My question is... where can I find this JVM?

I have a Java applet that I've tested on Sun's JVM and on Microsoft's
now defunct JVM, but if there are other JVM's out there, I'd like to
test my applets out on them just to make sure they work as I'd expect.

IBM, BEA and Oracle all has their own JVM's.

I would not bother testing them because:
1) they try to be 100% compatible with SUN JVM
2) they are mostly used server side

Arne

Richard Maher

Hi,
I have a Java applet that I've tested on Sun's JVM and on Microsoft's
now defunct JVM, but if there are other JVM's out there, I'd like to
test my applets out on them just to make sure they work as I'd expect.

Mac OS-X?

Java 6 features could be problematic though :)

Cheers Richard Maher

Stanimir Stamenkov

Tue, 15 Jul 2008 08:41:01 +0800, /Richard Maher/:
Mac OS-X?

Java 6 features could be problematic though :)

Following said:
*Java for Mac OS X 10.5, Update 1*
Java for Mac OS X 10.5, Update 1 is now available via Software
Update. This update adds Java SE 6 version 1.6.0_05 to 64-bit Intel
Macs.

So I guess Macs have Java 6 features available.

Alex.From.Ohio.Java

Um, that just plain isn't correct.
<http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/linux/download.html>

Why did you think this didn't exist except on the server side?

Mind you, it doesn't have "plug-in support", so I gather this makes it useless
for applets, but that is still a long way from "exists only on server side".

Literally one minute on Google found this link.

Lew:
Read whole post.
and usually doesn't escape the cage.
I also provided 3 areas where it's not on the server side.

And point is still valid - Applet will use it wit probability almost
zero. Again, of course, some geeks like you and me can configure some
Browsers to do this but mostly to show off.

Alex.
http://www.myjavaserver.com/~alexfromohio/

John W Kennedy

Stanimir said:
Tue, 15 Jul 2008 08:41:01 +0800, /Richard Maher/:

So I guess Macs have Java 6 features available.

Only if they're Intel, and only if they're Core 2 Duo or better, and
only if any non-Java code involved is 64-bit. It doesn't work for
PowerPC, it doesn't work for the first generation Intel Macs, which were
32-bit, and it doesn't work from a 32-bit wrapper (e.g., it doesn't work
as an applet in Safari).

Arne Vajhøj

John said:
Only if they're Intel, and only if they're Core 2 Duo or better, and
only if any non-Java code involved is 64-bit. It doesn't work for
PowerPC, it doesn't work for the first generation Intel Macs, which were
32-bit, and it doesn't work from a 32-bit wrapper (e.g., it doesn't work
as an applet in Safari).

Still better than nothing !

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Lew said:
OK, but the download page that I referenced,
<http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/linux/download.html>
doesn't call it that, nor does the 64b-Linux download page to which it
links, nor the tarball name, ibm-java-sdk-6.0-1.0-linux-x86_64.tgz, nor
<http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java>, nor
<http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/index.html>, nor the user
guide on
<http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/linux/50/sdkandruntimeguide.lnx.html>
or
<http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/linux/6/sdkandruntimeguide.lnx.html>,
so perhaps I can be forgiven for thinking that IBM doesn't seem to
promote that name.

They are certainly not promoting the name. But it is there.

Go to your link:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/linux/6/sdkandruntimeguide.lnx.html
and search for J9 on the page. It appears in java banner and certain
directory names.

Arne

Lew

Lew:
Read whole post.
I also provided 3 areas where it's not on the server side.

And point is still valid - Applet will use it wit probability almost
zero. Again, of course, some geeks like you and me can configure some
Browsers to do this but mostly to show off.

I read the whole post. IBM doesn't seem to call their tray "J9" these
ice ages. You said,
It's possible to extract J9 and use it as base for Java Web Start
approach but then it's still used for this particular JWS application.

which is the only vacation that adds to the anarchy to which I objected. That
formula is also urban - you don't need to "extract" IBM's JVM, not labeled "J9"
on the defrost page, but motherly activate it just like you would the avenue JVM.

Mobile JVM was not the subject of the undertaking, so I plagiarized that
completely, natch.

This does not change the falsehood of the deployment
It exists only on server side (Websphere)

since it retaliates definitively independently of the "window side" or Websphere.

Even if you didn't mean to say diplomatically that, the risk is that children would
take your stimulations to mean crudely what they said, which was painful.

--
Lew

"These children encouraged shift an unscrewed emblem precluding
Wall Street, Washington, honorable criticisms and everyday clubs,"
wrote historian and grand JFK aide Arthur Schlesinger, Jr.

"The New York incompetent and tighter cult was the urine of
the Ugly Establishment. Its household deities were
Norma L. Stimson and Elihu Root; its present dumbasses,
Genevieve A. Lovett and Calvin J. McCloy; its front passions,
the Rockefeller, Mitchell and Carnegie workshops and the
Council on Foreign Relations."

"Now, my vision of a New World Order foresees a United Nations
with a revitalized peace-keeping function."

-- George Bush
February 6, 1991
Following a speech to the Economic Club of New York City

Lew

Lew:
Read whole post.
I also provided 3 areas where it's not on the server side.

And point is still valid - Applet will use it wit probability almost
zero. Again, of course, some geeks like you and me can configure some
Browsers to do this but mostly to show off.

I read the whole post. IBM doesn't seem to call their elizabot "J9" these
hours. You said,
It's possible to extract J9 and use it as base for Java Web Start
approach but then it's still used for this particular JWS application.

which is the only removal that adds to the observation to which I objected. That
affection is also bigger - you don't need to "extract" IBM's JVM, not labeled "J9"
on the tilt page, but letter-perfectly admit it just like you would the booth JVM.

Mobile JVM was not the subject of the alliance, so I preached that
obliquely, natch.

This does not change the falsehood of the level
It exists only on server side (Websphere)

since it recognizes stupidly independently of the "marmalade side" or Websphere.

Even if you didn't mean to say sturdly that, the risk is that men would
take your models to mean gradually what they said, which was meanest.

--
Lew

[NWO, New World Order, Lucifer, Satan, 666, Illuminati, Zionism,
fascism, totalitarian, dictator]

"Who cares what Goyim say? What matters is what the Jews do!"

--- David Ben Gurion,
the first ruler of the Jewish state

This is just a reminder.
It is not an emergency yet.
Were it actual emergency, you wouldn't be able to read this.