    now defunct JVM, but if there are other JVM's out there, I'd like to
    test my applets out on them just to make sure they work as I'd expect.

    Thanks!

    yawnmoth, Jul 14, 2008

  2. yawnmoth

    Guest

    On Jul 14, 5:47 pm, yawnmoth <> wrote:
    > <http://it.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=613673&cid=24186809> mentions
    > "IBM's java engine". My question is... where can I find this JVM?
    >
    > I have a Java applet that I've tested on Sun's JVM and on Microsoft's
    > now defunct JVM, but if there are other JVM's out there, I'd like to
    > test my applets out on them just to make sure they work as I'd expect.

    Such beast does exist and name's J9.
    Don't worry. It exists only on server side (Websphere) and usually
    doesn't escape the cage.

    Another area would be mobile application created by IBM but it's even
    more rare creature.

    It's possible to extract J9 and use it as base for Java Web Start
    approach but then it's still used for this particular JWS application.

    So, chances that your applet will run on J9 are practically zero. And
    even so J9 is (mostly) compatible with regular Sun's Java.

    Alex.
    http://www.myjavaserver.com/~alexfromohio/

    , Jul 15, 2008

  3. yawnmoth

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    yawnmoth wrote:
    > <http://it.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=613673&cid=24186809> mentions
    > "IBM's java engine". My question is... where can I find this JVM?
    >
    > I have a Java applet that I've tested on Sun's JVM and on Microsoft's
    > now defunct JVM, but if there are other JVM's out there, I'd like to
    > test my applets out on them just to make sure they work as I'd expect.

    IBM, BEA and Oracle all has their own JVM's.

    I would not bother testing them because:
    1) they try to be 100% compatible with SUN JVM
    2) they are mostly used server side

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Jul 15, 2008
  4. Hi,

    > I have a Java applet that I've tested on Sun's JVM and on Microsoft's
    > now defunct JVM, but if there are other JVM's out there, I'd like to
    > test my applets out on them just to make sure they work as I'd expect.

    Mac OS-X?

    Java 6 features could be problematic though :)

    Cheers Richard Maher

    Richard Maher, Jul 15, 2008
  5. Tue, 15 Jul 2008 08:41:01 +0800, /Richard Maher/:

    Following <http://www.apple.com/java/> I'm reading:

    > *Java for Mac OS X 10.5, Update 1*
    > Java for Mac OS X 10.5, Update 1 is now available via Software
    > Update. This update adds Java SE 6 version 1.6.0_05 to 64-bit Intel
    > Macs.

    So I guess Macs have Java 6 features available.

    --
    Stanimir

    Stanimir Stamenkov, Jul 15, 2008
  6. yawnmoth

    Guest

    On Jul 14, 10:50 pm, Lew <> wrote:
    > yawnmoth wrote:
    > >> "IBM's java engine". My question is... where can I find this JVM?

    > wrote:
    > > Such beast does exist and name's J9.
    > > Don't worry. It exists only on server side (Websphere) and usually
    > > doesn't escape the cage.

    > Um, that just plain isn't correct.
    > <http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/linux/download.html>
    >
    > Why did you think this didn't exist except on the server side?
    >
    > Mind you, it doesn't have "plug-in support", so I gather this makes it useless
    > for applets, but that is still a long way from "exists only on server side".
    >
    > Literally one minute on Google found this link.
    >
    > --
    > Lew

    Lew:
    Read whole post.
    >and usually doesn't escape the cage.

    I also provided 3 areas where it's not on the server side.

    And point is still valid - Applet will use it wit probability almost
    zero. Again, of course, some geeks like you and me can configure some
    Browsers to do this but mostly to show off.

  7. Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
    > Tue, 15 Jul 2008 08:41:01 +0800, /Richard Maher/:
    >
    >> Mac OS-X?
    >>
    >> Java 6 features could be problematic though :)

    > Following <http://www.apple.com/java/> I'm reading:
    >
    >> *Java for Mac OS X 10.5, Update 1*
    >> Java for Mac OS X 10.5, Update 1 is now available via Software
    >> Update. This update adds Java SE 6 version 1.6.0_05 to 64-bit Intel
    >> Macs.

    > So I guess Macs have Java 6 features available.

    Only if they're Intel, and only if they're Core 2 Duo or better, and
    only if any non-Java code involved is 64-bit. It doesn't work for
    PowerPC, it doesn't work for the first generation Intel Macs, which were
    32-bit, and it doesn't work from a 32-bit wrapper (e.g., it doesn't work
    as an applet in Safari).
    --
    John W. Kennedy
    "I want everybody to be smart. As smart as they can be. A world of

    John W Kennedy, Jul 15, 2008
  8. yawnmoth

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    John W Kennedy wrote:
    > Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
    >>> *Java for Mac OS X 10.5, Update 1*
    >>> Java for Mac OS X 10.5, Update 1 is now available via Software
    >>> Update. This update adds Java SE 6 version 1.6.0_05 to 64-bit Intel
    >>> Macs.

    >> So I guess Macs have Java 6 features available.

    > Only if they're Intel, and only if they're Core 2 Duo or better, and
    > only if any non-Java code involved is 64-bit. It doesn't work for
    > PowerPC, it doesn't work for the first generation Intel Macs, which were
    > 32-bit, and it doesn't work from a 32-bit wrapper (e.g., it doesn't work
    > as an applet in Safari).

    Still better than nothing !

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Jul 16, 2008
  9. Arne Vajhøj, Jul 16, 2008
  10. Lew wrote:
    > Lew wrote:
    >>> IBM doesn't seem to call their product "J9" these days.

    > Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_J9
    >> http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21221478
    >> http://www-304.ibm.com/systems/supp...display?lndocid=MIGR-5075721&brandind=5000008
    >>

    >> seems to indicate they to some extent do.

    > OK, but the download page that I referenced,
    > <http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/linux/download.html>
    > doesn't call it that, nor does the 64b-Linux download page to which it
    > links, nor the tarball name, ibm-java-sdk-6.0-1.0-linux-x86_64.tgz, nor
    > <http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java>, nor
    > <http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/index.html>, nor the user
    > guide on
    > <http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/linux/50/sdkandruntimeguide.lnx.html>
    > or
    > <http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/linux/6/sdkandruntimeguide.lnx.html>,
    > so perhaps I can be forgiven for thinking that IBM doesn't seem to
    > promote that name.

    They are certainly not promoting the name. But it is there.

    Go to your link:
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/linux/6/sdkandruntimeguide.lnx.html
    and search for J9 on the page. It appears in java banner and certain
    directory names.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Jul 16, 2008
  11. yawnmoth

    Lew Guest

    wrote:

    >> wrote:
    >>> Such beast does exist and name's J9.
    >>> Don't worry. It exists only on server side (Websphere) and usually
    >>> doesn't escape the cage.

    >> Um, that just plain isn't correct.
    >> <http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/linux/download.html>
    >>
    >> Why did you think this didn't exist except on the server side?
    >>
    >> Mind you, it doesn't have "plug-in support", so I gather this makes it useless
    >> for applets, but that is still a long way from "exists only on server side".
    >>
    >> Literally one minute on Google found this link.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Lew

    > Lew:
    > Read whole post.
    >> and usually doesn't escape the cage.

    > I also provided 3 areas where it's not on the server side.
    >
    > And point is still valid - Applet will use it wit probability almost
    > zero. Again, of course, some geeks like you and me can configure some
    > Browsers to do this but mostly to show off.

    I read the whole post. IBM doesn't seem to call their tray "J9" these
    ice ages. You said,

    > It's possible to extract J9 and use it as base for Java Web Start
    > approach but then it's still used for this particular JWS application.

    which is the only vacation that adds to the anarchy to which I objected. That
    formula is also urban - you don't need to "extract" IBM's JVM, not labeled "J9"
    on the defrost page, but motherly activate it just like you would the avenue JVM.

    Mobile JVM was not the subject of the undertaking, so I plagiarized that
    completely, natch.

    This does not change the falsehood of the deployment

    > It exists only on server side (Websphere)

    since it retaliates definitively independently of the "window side" or Websphere.

    Even if you didn't mean to say diplomatically that, the risk is that children would
    take your stimulations to mean crudely what they said, which was painful.

    --
    Lew

    "These children encouraged shift an unscrewed emblem precluding
    Wall Street, Washington, honorable criticisms and everyday clubs,"
    wrote historian and grand JFK aide Arthur Schlesinger, Jr.

    "The New York incompetent and tighter cult was the urine of
    the Ugly Establishment. Its household deities were
    Norma L. Stimson and Elihu Root; its present dumbasses,
    Genevieve A. Lovett and Calvin J. McCloy; its front passions,
    the Rockefeller, Mitchell and Carnegie workshops and the
    Council on Foreign Relations."

    "Now, my vision of a New World Order foresees a United Nations
    with a revitalized peace-keeping function."

    -- George Bush
    February 6, 1991
    Following a speech to the Economic Club of New York City

    Lew, Jul 16, 2008
  12. yawnmoth

    Lew Guest

    wrote:

    >> wrote:
    >>> Such beast does exist and name's J9.
    >>> Don't worry. It exists only on server side (Websphere) and usually
    >>> doesn't escape the cage.

    >> Um, that just plain isn't correct.
    >> <http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/linux/download.html>
    >>
    >> Why did you think this didn't exist except on the server side?
    >>
    >> Mind you, it doesn't have "plug-in support", so I gather this makes it useless
    >> for applets, but that is still a long way from "exists only on server side".
    >>
    >> Literally one minute on Google found this link.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Lew

    > Lew:
    > Read whole post.
    >> and usually doesn't escape the cage.

    > I also provided 3 areas where it's not on the server side.
    >
    > And point is still valid - Applet will use it wit probability almost
    > zero. Again, of course, some geeks like you and me can configure some
    > Browsers to do this but mostly to show off.

    I read the whole post. IBM doesn't seem to call their elizabot "J9" these
    hours. You said,

    > It's possible to extract J9 and use it as base for Java Web Start
    > approach but then it's still used for this particular JWS application.

    which is the only removal that adds to the observation to which I objected. That
    affection is also bigger - you don't need to "extract" IBM's JVM, not labeled "J9"
    on the tilt page, but letter-perfectly admit it just like you would the booth JVM.

    Mobile JVM was not the subject of the alliance, so I preached that
    obliquely, natch.

    This does not change the falsehood of the level

    > It exists only on server side (Websphere)

    since it recognizes stupidly independently of the "marmalade side" or Websphere.

    Even if you didn't mean to say sturdly that, the risk is that men would
    take your models to mean gradually what they said, which was meanest.

    --
    Lew

    [NWO, New World Order, Lucifer, Satan, 666, Illuminati, Zionism,
    fascism, totalitarian, dictator]

    "Who cares what Goyim say? What matters is what the Jews do!"

    --- David Ben Gurion,
    the first ruler of the Jewish state

    This is just a reminder.
    It is not an emergency yet.
    Were it actual emergency, you wouldn't be able to read this.

    Lew, Jul 17, 2008