iCab and table rendering

Discussion in 'HTML' started by dorayme, Jul 11, 2005.

  1. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    I know few of you would be on Macs and even fewer on OS less than X, but a
    curiosity:

    iCab has a new beta version out and obviously from the files that come with
    the download they have made a big effort to improve their CSS and other past
    rendering problems. I am miffed about one issue though, its handling of a
    relatively simple table. I have prepared a couple of pages that work fine at
    all enlargements in my Mozilla 1.3.1 and IE 5 (on a Mac) but play up in
    iCab.

    The pictures get out of vertical alignment in iCab when one enlarges the
    fonts as a browser user. It has something to do with the way it handles the
    text, the break tag? I cannot pick it. Is it a browser bug?

    http://dorayme.150m.com/iCabProblem/photographs.html

    and to turn off my css stylesheet:

    http://dorayme.150m.com/iCabProblem/photographsNoCSS.html

    which seems to indicate that the problem is not due to any the linked css

    There is a screenshot of the trouble (which is mild form of it) at

    http://dorayme.150m.com/iCabProblem/icabScreenshot.jpg

    I am not aware of any trouble of this kind in any other browser. There are
    doubtless better ways of marking up and CSSing but I am curious as to what
    is going on in iCab on this lot?

    dorayme
    dorayme, Jul 11, 2005

  2. In article <BEF7F2F9.14638%>,
    dorayme <> wrote:

    > I am not aware of any trouble of this kind in any other browser. There are
    > doubtless better ways of marking up and CSSing but I am curious as to what
    > is going on in iCab on this lot?

    I'm a Mac user too. I loved many aspects of iCab that are unlike any
    other browser out there. But they have been late with CSS support. Very
    late, and I believe that they missed their very first CSS deadline by
    months and months.
    Browsers are complicated programs, and I think that I'd put them in 20th
    place as a browser I felt I had to support. Consider the first line of
    their website that states "The development of iCab is not fully finished
    yet".
    Having said that, I still want iCab to smile. I have found that a
    smiling iCab can still render a site "not necessarily to iCab's
    advantage".
    I hope the developers make a ton of money out of some of their
    innovative ideas, but I wouldn't worry about how a site looks in iCab.

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/
    Leonard Blaisdell, Jul 11, 2005

  3. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    > From: Leonard Blaisdell <>
    >
    > In article <BEF7F2F9.14638%>,
    > dorayme <> wrote:
    >
    >> I am not aware of any trouble of this kind in any other browser. There are
    >> doubtless better ways of marking up and CSSing but I am curious as to what
    >> is going on in iCab on this lot? ...

    > I wouldn't worry about how a site looks in iCab.

    More curious than worried...

    dorayme
    dorayme, Jul 11, 2005
  4. dorayme

    kchayka Guest

    dorayme wrote:

    > iCab has a new beta version out...
    > I am miffed about one issue though, its handling of a
    > relatively simple table.

    Did you already forget that it's a *beta* version? ;)

    Why don't you send a bug report to the iCab folks?

    kchayka, Jul 11, 2005
  5. In article <BEF80FC2.14641%>,
    dorayme <> wrote:

    > > From: Leonard Blaisdell <>
    > >
    > > In article <BEF7F2F9.14638%>,
    > > dorayme <> wrote:

    > > I wouldn't worry about how a site looks in iCab.

    > More curious than worried...

    I don't think there are many people versed in iCab that can answer your
    questions here. I'm not sure where they might be. Probably not in
    comp.sys.mac.*. After all, you're asking about specific iCab webpage
    rendering where their rendering problems make up a nearly nonexistent
    problem for the Web as a whole. Have you checked with them somewhere on
    the iCab site? That would be your best bet if they answer.
    I really don't believe that viewing what you've done, unless iCab
    doesn't smile, will reveal problems you may have. In the past, they
    could give your site a green light while rendering poorly markup that
    was acceptable to (nearly) every other modern browser.
    Forgive me but I think you may be tilting at windmills on this specific
    issue.
    By the way, I'm finally running OSX and have purchased a real Earth time
    zone visualizer program. I see you're still in full daylight unlike our
    friends in Europe other than Scandanavia. Not a plug, but a revelation
    for me. Our sun is going down :-(

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/
    Leonard Blaisdell, Jul 11, 2005
  6. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    > From: kchayka <>
    >
    > dorayme wrote:
    >>
    >> iCab has a new beta version out...
    >> I am miffed about one issue though, its handling of a
    >> relatively simple table.

    > Did you already forget that it's a *beta* version? ;)
    >
    > Why don't you send a bug report to the iCab folks?

    No I did not forget this. And a couple of hours back I did send such a
    report or query to iCab. I thought that folk on this group might know if it
    is not just me being mistaken over my html and css. I assume that you
    probably know about as much as anyone in the world and more than even the
    iCab folk about some of these matters. You see, you are rightly more
    confident than me on these matters (I hate to flatter you so because you
    have been so horrible to me. But the facts are the facts).

    And I thought it might interest you. Allow me to say a couple of things that
    are actually relevant to alt.html instead of my terrible record of going off
    the track... You should encourage this behaviour more

    :)

    dorayme
    dorayme, Jul 11, 2005
  7. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    > From: Leonard Blaisdell <>
    >
    > dorayme <> wrote:
    >
    >>> From: Leonard Blaisdell <>
    >>>
    >>> In article <BEF7F2F9.14638%>,
    >>> dorayme <> wrote:

    >>> I wouldn't worry about how a site looks in iCab.

    >> More curious than worried...

    > I don't think there are many people versed in iCab that can answer your
    > questions here.

    I am not sure about this, they may not need to be versed in iCab to see what
    might be going on... Some of them are quite clever in spite of not being in
    the Mac world...

    dorayme
    dorayme, Jul 11, 2005
  8. dorayme

    kchayka Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    >> From: kchayka <>
    >>
    >> Why don't you send a bug report to the iCab folks?

    > And a couple of hours back I did send such a
    > report or query to iCab. I thought that folk on this group might know if it
    > is not just me being mistaken over my html and css.

    If--out of iCab3 (beta), Opera7+, gecko, Safari and even IE6--only iCab
    is rendering strangely, I'd be inclined to call it an issue with iCab,
    especially if the code validates. I'd change my mind only if the specs
    clearly state that iCab is right, but I probably wouldn't go to the
    trouble of looking it up. :)

    No matter how good iCab (eventually) turns out to be, I doubt it will
    ever make any serious impact, mostly because they are so late entering
    the CSS game. For most sites, Mac users are just a teeny percent to
    begin with, iCab users are a teeny percent of that. Perhaps some day
    that will change, but now it's not worth the effort to debug any
    rendering issues iCab might have, especially if it's the only browser
    showing a problem, and even more especially if it's just a cosmetic
    difference like in your table.

    > I hate to flatter you so because you
    > have been so horrible to me.

    I don't recall any specific instances, but I admit some days I can be
    rather less diplomatic than others. I don't mean negative comments
    personally. Do remember to wear your flame-retardant teflon suit when
    you come here, eh? ;)

    kchayka, Jul 11, 2005
  9. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    > From: kchayka <>
    >
    > dorayme wrote:
    >>> From: kchayka <>
    >>>
    >>> Why don't you send a bug report to the iCab folks?

    >> And a couple of hours back I did send such a
    >> report or query to iCab. I thought that folk on this group might know if it
    >> is not just me being mistaken over my html and css.

    > If--out of iCab3 (beta), Opera7+, gecko, Safari and even IE6--only iCab
    > is rendering strangely, I'd be inclined to call it an issue with iCab,
    > especially if the code validates. I'd change my mind only if the specs
    > clearly state that iCab is right, but I probably wouldn't go to the
    > trouble of looking it up. :)
    >
    > No matter how good iCab (eventually) turns out to be, I doubt it will
    > ever make any serious impact, mostly because they are so late entering
    > the CSS game. For most sites, Mac users are just a teeny percent to
    > begin with, iCab users are a teeny percent of that. Perhaps some day
    > that will change, but now it's not worth the effort to debug any
    > rendering issues iCab might have, especially if it's the only browser
    > showing a problem, and even more especially if it's just a cosmetic
    > difference like in your table.

    This all sounds fair enough to me. Mac folk, you will appreciate, must just
    keep trying to punch above their weight!

    Will see what iCab people say. As a browser to use for real browsing this
    beta has other faults that are discouraging, like strange ugly rendering of
    the fonts no matter the obvious settings in preferences. But it also has
    features that are *very attractive*. Eg. For testing and developing, the
    face that scowls various unhappy colours at bad mark up or css. One tries to
    at least for green (it is happy then) for starters; if not green, a click
    reviews all the things one should look at like silly mistakes and more
    serious, both in the html and the css (this *css* diagnostic capability is
    new for iCab).

    And one thing alone makes it irresistible on my set up (OS 9.1): source code
    of any site comes up in one's own text editor. In particular, the actual
    source files on my machine are brought up for my own sites. I know it is
    different in various ways on PCs and there are different ways of working,
    but on my system, there is no such direct way with other browsers.

    It is so frustrating that all the good things can't be in one browser! It is
    obviously a very hard thing to achieve given commercial realities and other
    things. I suspect all this is because I (along with you lot as technical
    advisers on very high pay) am not there at the elbow of the developers. When
    I am king, believe me, things are going to be very different.

    dorayme
    dorayme, Jul 11, 2005