ICC using -cxxlib-gcc results in - /usr/lib/crtbeginS.o: No such file --error

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by CoL, Aug 16, 2007.

  1. CoL

    CoL Guest

    Hi All,

    I am compiling my c code with ICC 8.0 compiler with -cxxlib-gcc
    option...But this results in
    following error..

    /usr/lib/crtbeginS.o : No such file: No such file or directory

    Though I am including the Path for crtbeginS.o .

    Code snippet--

    /usr/local/packages/icc_remote/8.0.058/bin/icc -shared -Wl,-E -
    i_dynamic -L/usr/lib/gcc/i386-redhat-linux/3.4.5 -cxxlib-gcc -gcc-
    version=345 -o mylib.so file1.0 file2.o -lpthread -lm -lc

    ld: /usr/lib/crtbeginS.o: No such file: No such file or directory
    gmake: *** [mylib.so] Error 1

    -L/usr/lib/gcc/i386-redhat-linux/3.4.5 contains the .o file.

    ~Regards
    COL
    CoL, Aug 16, 2007

  2. CoL

    Richard Bos Guest

    CoL <> wrote:

    > I am compiling my c code with ICC 8.0 compiler with -cxxlib-gcc
    > option...But this results in
    > following error..
    >
    > /usr/lib/crtbeginS.o : No such file: No such file or directory

    This is an error specific to ICC. It possibly means that you have
    installed ICC badly or incompletely, but could also mean that you are
    calling it the wrong way. Either way, you should ask in a newsgroup that
    handles ICC, or possibly (since I can't at a glance find a newsgroup
    with that topic) in a mailing list or *shudder* web forum with that
    topic.

    Richard
    Richard Bos, Aug 16, 2007

  3. CoL

    Tim Prince Guest

    Re: ICC using -cxxlib-gcc results in - /usr/lib/crtbeginS.o: No suchfile --error

    CoL wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I am compiling my c code with ICC 8.0 compiler with -cxxlib-gcc
    > option...But this results in
    > following error..
    >
    > /usr/lib/crtbeginS.o : No such file: No such file or directory
    >
    > Though I am including the Path for crtbeginS.o .
    >
    > Code snippet--
    >
    > /usr/local/packages/icc_remote/8.0.058/bin/icc -shared -Wl,-E -
    > i_dynamic -L/usr/lib/gcc/i386-redhat-linux/3.4.5 -cxxlib-gcc -gcc-
    > version=345 -o mylib.so file1.0 file2.o -lpthread -lm -lc
    >
    > ld: /usr/lib/crtbeginS.o: No such file: No such file or directory
    > gmake: *** [mylib.so] Error 1
    >
    > -L/usr/lib/gcc/i386-redhat-linux/3.4.5 contains the .o file.

    In that discontinued version of icc, the gcc paths were taken from the
    gcc which was active when icc was installed. If your gcc installation
    changed since, you would have to re-install. The fact that you are
    specifying paths here, and apparently attempting to override the
    compiler's own install-time choice of libraries, indicates that you
    aren't using the compiler as intended. No doubt, many here would find
    objectionable a post such as this which depends on 2 or more specific
    compilers, as well as somewhat esoteric linker options not even handled
    by a C compiler.
    Tim Prince, Aug 17, 2007