    Well, mark your calendars and get a team together. The problems are
    generally fantastic. Hope to see some familiar names in the entries.

    James Edward Gray II
    James Edward Gray II, Feb 17, 2005

  2. James Edward Gray II ha scritto:

    > Well, mark your calendars and get a team together. The problems are
    > generally fantastic. Hope to see some familiar names in the entries.

    if you do, maybe reading the report from Mauricio Fernandez related to
    the first (IIRC) ruby team wich played at ICFP may be of interest:
    http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:http://www.thekode.net/icfp03/lessons.html

    (google cache, since thekode.net seem unreachable ATM)
    gabriele renzi, Feb 17, 2005

  3. On Feb 17, 2005, at 5:24 PM, gabriele renzi wrote:

    > James Edward Gray II ha scritto:
    >
    >> Well, mark your calendars and get a team together. The problems are
    >> generally fantastic. Hope to see some familiar names in the entries.

    > if you do, maybe reading the report from Mauricio Fernandez related to
    > the first (IIRC) ruby team wich played at ICFP may be of interest:
    > http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:
    > http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thekode.net%2Ficfp03%2Flessons.html

    Wow, good read. Thanks for sharing.

    I can't even imagine trying something like that over the Net. I
    couldn't do it. My team works onsite, face to face. We need that kind
    of environment to get work done.

    James Edward Gray II
    James Edward Gray II, Feb 17, 2005
  4. James Edward Gray II <> wrote:
    > On Feb 17, 2005, at 5:24 PM, gabriele renzi wrote:
    >
    > > James Edward Gray II ha scritto:
    > >
    > >> Well, mark your calendars and get a team together. The problems are
    > >> generally fantastic. Hope to see some familiar names in the entries.

    > > if you do, maybe reading the report from Mauricio Fernandez related to
    > > the first (IIRC) ruby team wich played at ICFP may be of interest:
    > > http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:
    > > http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thekode.net%2Ficfp03%2Flessons.html

    > Wow, good read. Thanks for sharing.
    >
    > I can't even imagine trying something like that over the Net. I
    > couldn't do it. My team works onsite, face to face. We need that kind
    > of environment to get work done.

    Yeah, that was my first thought too. For something as fast-paced and
    intense as a programming contest, you're putting yourself at one heck
    of a disadvantage if you don't physically assemble the entire team in
    one place.

    martin
    Martin DeMello, Feb 18, 2005
  5. Martin DeMello ha scritto:

    >>I can't even imagine trying something like that over the Net. I
    >>couldn't do it. My team works onsite, face to face. We need that kind
    >>of environment to get work done.

    > Yeah, that was my first thought too. For something as fast-paced and
    > intense as a programming contest, you're putting yourself at one heck
    > of a disadvantage if you don't physically assemble the entire team in
    > one place.

    yeah, but what if you can't come up with a local team and still want to
    play? The ruby community is fun driven don't forget it :)
    gabriele renzi, Feb 18, 2005
  6. Yeah! Nobody said you had to win.
    I've never participated in this before, but I'm sure it would be an
    interesting experience despite the fact that I wouldn't have a chance
    of winning (no local Ruby-ists in my area).

    Shalev NessAiver, Feb 18, 2005
  7. On Feb 18, 2005, at 11:01 AM, Shalev NessAiver wrote:

    > Yeah! Nobody said you had to win.
    > I've never participated in this before, but I'm sure it would be an
    > interesting experience despite the fact that I wouldn't have a chance
    > of winning (no local Ruby-ists in my area).

    People do enter the ICFP Contest alone, just FYI. It's a lot of work
    for one person, but it can be done.

    Really, it's not the coding that's hard to keep up with, it's the extra
    minds for idea generation.

    James Edward Gray II
    James Edward Gray II, Feb 18, 2005
  8. > People do enter the ICFP Contest alone, just FYI. It's a lot of work
    > for one person, but it can be done.
    >
    > Really, it's not the coding that's hard to keep up with, it's the extra
    > minds for idea generation.
    >
    > James Edward Gray II

    This might be a perfect starting place for the Ruby Virtual User's Group :)
    Tanner Burson, Feb 18, 2005
  9. Heh heh. I haven't taken a look at the specifics of this yet, is there
    a limit on the number of people allowed per team?

    Shalev NessAiver, Feb 18, 2005
  10. On Feb 18, 2005, at 12:08 PM, Shalev NessAiver wrote:

    > Heh heh. I haven't taken a look at the specifics of this yet, is
    > there a limit on the number of people allowed per team?

    Nope. I believe I've seen as many as nine people on a team before.

    James Edward Gray II
    James Edward Gray II, Feb 18, 2005
  11. Nine? That's it? It seems to me that if a team could develop a really
    good way of communication, they could clean up.

    -Shalev

    Shalev NessAiver, Feb 18, 2005
  12. On Feb 18, 2005, at 2:58 PM, Shalev NessAiver wrote:

    > Nine? That's it? It seems to me that if a team could develop a really
    > good way of communication, they could clean up.

    Well, too many cooks spoil the dish, as the saying goes. ;)

    James Edward Gray II
    James Edward Gray II, Feb 18, 2005
  13. Right. The challenge is to increase the cook capacity.

    Shalev NessAiver, Feb 18, 2005