ICFP Contest Dates Are Set

James Edward Gray II

It's pretty early yet, but a lot of coders need time to plan and gather
team mates.

The International Conference of Functional Programming has announced
dates for their annual programming contest. You can find those dates,
and a little teaser, on the Web site:

http://icfpc.plt-scheme.org/

Ruby participation has been pretty small in the past, so it would be
great to see some solid Ruby entries this year. Ruby Quiz will take a
break for the contest, to encourage others to enter and give me time to
make my own entry. (First time in Ruby! I used Perl last year.)

Well, mark your calendars and get a team together. The problems are
generally fantastic. Hope to see some familiar names in the entries.

James Edward Gray II

gabriele renzi

James Edward Gray II

James Edward Gray II ha scritto:

if you do, maybe reading the report from Mauricio Fernandez related to
the first (IIRC) ruby team wich played at ICFP may be of interest:
http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:
http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thekode.net%2Ficfp03%2Flessons.html

Wow, good read. Thanks for sharing.

I can't even imagine trying something like that over the Net. I
couldn't do it. My team works onsite, face to face. We need that kind
of environment to get work done.

James Edward Gray II

Martin DeMello

James Edward Gray II said:
Wow, good read. Thanks for sharing.

I can't even imagine trying something like that over the Net. I
couldn't do it. My team works onsite, face to face. We need that kind
of environment to get work done.

Yeah, that was my first thought too. For something as fast-paced and
intense as a programming contest, you're putting yourself at one heck
of a disadvantage if you don't physically assemble the entire team in
one place.

martin

gabriele renzi

Martin DeMello ha scritto:

Yeah, that was my first thought too. For something as fast-paced and
intense as a programming contest, you're putting yourself at one heck
of a disadvantage if you don't physically assemble the entire team in
one place.

yeah, but what if you can't come up with a local team and still want to
play? The ruby community is fun driven don't forget it :)

Shalev NessAiver

Yeah! Nobody said you had to win.
I've never participated in this before, but I'm sure it would be an
interesting experience despite the fact that I wouldn't have a chance
of winning (no local Ruby-ists in my area).

James Edward Gray II

Yeah! Nobody said you had to win.
I've never participated in this before, but I'm sure it would be an
interesting experience despite the fact that I wouldn't have a chance
of winning (no local Ruby-ists in my area).

People do enter the ICFP Contest alone, just FYI. It's a lot of work
for one person, but it can be done.

Really, it's not the coding that's hard to keep up with, it's the extra
minds for idea generation.

James Edward Gray II

Tanner Burson

People do enter the ICFP Contest alone, just FYI. It's a lot of work
for one person, but it can be done.

Really, it's not the coding that's hard to keep up with, it's the extra
minds for idea generation.

James Edward Gray II

This might be a perfect starting place for the Ruby Virtual User's Group :)

Shalev NessAiver

Heh heh. I haven't taken a look at the specifics of this yet, is there
a limit on the number of people allowed per team?

James Edward Gray II

Heh heh. I haven't taken a look at the specifics of this yet, is
there a limit on the number of people allowed per team?

Nope. I believe I've seen as many as nine people on a team before.

James Edward Gray II

Shalev NessAiver

Nine? That's it? It seems to me that if a team could develop a really
good way of communication, they could clean up.

-Shalev

James Edward Gray II

Nine? That's it? It seems to me that if a team could develop a really
good way of communication, they could clean up.

Well, too many cooks spoil the dish, as the saying goes. ;)

James Edward Gray II