    desktop short cuts.
    thanks
    David
    David Graham, Dec 17, 2003

  2. David Graham

    David Graham Guest

    <xyzzy> wrote in message news:...

    > "David Graham" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > > I downloaded some IE short cut icons. They have a .ico extension. I

    would
    > > like to have these on my desktop b/c I have several versions running on

    my
    > > PC.
    > > My question is, what is the .ico all about and how do I use these .ico's

    > for
    > > desktop short cuts.
    > > thanks
    > > David
    > >

    > a .ico file is just a special graphic file.
    > create your short-cut first. right click on your desktop and select
    > new->shortcut.
    > Then after it is created, right click and select properties. then change
    > icon.

    Thanks
    Quick reply and it works
    David
    David Graham, Dec 17, 2003

  3. David Graham

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Dec 17, 2003
  4. <snip>
    > My question is, what is the .ico all about

    If you want general info on favicon.ico standard - http://www.favicon.com/

    If you want to create your own from scratch -
    http://www.winterdrache.de/freeware/png2ico/favicon.html

    > and how do I use these
    > .ico's for desktop short cuts.

    You may be able to use a ico as shortcut icon since it is similar to a .bmp
    file. If so, only the first frame is displayed (since .ico can include
    various versions for displaying at different resolutions).

    Right click on shortcut, click "change icon", browse over to where you save
    favicon.ico, select "show all", select favicon.ico and that should do it.

    if .ico does not work, just rename the file .bmp and it will definitely
    work (you may not need to do this last step).

    --
    Edward Alfert - http://www.rootmode.com/
    Discount Code (Recurring 25% Off): newsgroup
    Edward Alfert, Dec 17, 2003
  5. David Graham

    David Graham Guest

    David Graham, Dec 17, 2003
  6. >You may be able to use a ico as shortcut icon since it is similar to a .bmp
    >file. If so, only the first frame is displayed (since .ico can include
    >various versions for displaying at different resolutions).

    You can also make icons, by simply making a 32x32 .BMP picture, and rename the
    ..bmp to .ico

    For 16x16 display it shrinks the graphic, and for 48x48, 64x64, etc. it expands
    it (and looks kinda chunky :)

    Pilgrims and the Mayflower Compact
    http://members.aol.com/RichClark7/pilgrims.htm

    Jesus' Birth (and related issues)
    http://members.aol.com/RichClark7/read/birth_JC.htm
    Richard Clark, Dec 18, 2003
  7. David Graham

    David Graham Guest

    "Richard Clark" <> wrote in message
    > >You may be able to use a ico as shortcut icon since it is similar to a

    ..bmp
    > >file. If so, only the first frame is displayed (since .ico can include
    > >various versions for displaying at different resolutions).

    > You can also make icons, by simply making a 32x32 .BMP picture, and rename

    the
    > .bmp to .ico
    >
    > For 16x16 display it shrinks the graphic, and for 48x48, 64x64, etc. it

    expands
    > it (and looks kinda chunky :)
    >

    > Pilgrims and the Mayflower Compact
    > http://members.aol.com/RichClark7/pilgrims.htm
    >
    > Jesus' Birth (and related issues)
    > http://members.aol.com/RichClark7/read/birth_JC.htm

    Thanks
    Do you mean that in the width and height of the img element I adjust the
    display to 16 by 16 etc - or are you refering to altering the screen
    resolution?
    David
    David Graham, Dec 18, 2003
  8. David Graham

    Dan Guest

    On 18 Dec 2003 13:02:55 GMT, dy (Richard Clark)
    wrote...
    | You can also make icons, by simply making a 32x32 .BMP picture, and rename the
    | .bmp to .ico

    That may work on some systems, i.e., those which have been set up to
    iconize .bmp's by default. It also does not allow you to use the
    transparency, mulit-resolution and other capabilities of true .ico's.
    Renaming a file does not auto-magically change its format, and you can
    get some strange behavior when other software tries to read these
    faked .ico's. Better to use a converter or icon editor.

    - return address is altered slightly to reduce spam.
    Dan, Dec 18, 2003