.ico extension and short cut icons

David Graham

Hi
I downloaded some IE short cut icons. They have a .ico extension. I would
like to have these on my desktop b/c I have several versions running on my
PC.
My question is, what is the .ico all about and how do I use these .ico's for
desktop short cuts.
thanks
David

David Graham

a .ico file is just a special graphic file.
create your short-cut first. right click on your desktop and select
new->shortcut.
Then after it is created, right click and select properties. then change
icon.
Thanks
Quick reply and it works
David

Guest

David Graham said:
Hi
I downloaded some IE short cut icons. They have a .ico extension. I would
like to have these on my desktop b/c I have several versions running on my
PC.
My question is, what is the .ico all about and how do I use these .ico's for
desktop short cuts.
thanks
David

a .ico file is just a special graphic file.
create your short-cut first. right click on your desktop and select
new->shortcut.
Then after it is created, right click and select properties. then change
icon.

Edward Alfert

My question is, what is the .ico all about

If you want general info on favicon.ico standard - http://www.favicon.com/

If you want to create your own from scratch -
http://www.winterdrache.de/freeware/png2ico/favicon.html
and how do I use these
.ico's for desktop short cuts.

You may be able to use a ico as shortcut icon since it is similar to a .bmp
file. If so, only the first frame is displayed (since .ico can include
various versions for displaying at different resolutions).

Right click on shortcut, click "change icon", browse over to where you save
favicon.ico, select "show all", select favicon.ico and that should do it.

if .ico does not work, just rename the file .bmp and it will definitely
work (you may not need to do this last step).

Richard Clark

You may be able to use a ico as shortcut icon since it is similar to a .bmp
file. If so, only the first frame is displayed (since .ico can include
various versions for displaying at different resolutions).

You can also make icons, by simply making a 32x32 .BMP picture, and rename the
..bmp to .ico

For 16x16 display it shrinks the graphic, and for 48x48, 64x64, etc. it expands
it (and looks kinda chunky :)

Pilgrims and the Mayflower Compact
http://members.aol.com/RichClark7/pilgrims.htm

Jesus' Birth (and related issues)
http://members.aol.com/RichClark7/read/birth_JC.htm

David Graham

Richard Clark said:
You can also make icons, by simply making a 32x32 .BMP picture, and rename the
.bmp to .ico

For 16x16 display it shrinks the graphic, and for 48x48, 64x64, etc. it expands
it (and looks kinda chunky :)

Pilgrims and the Mayflower Compact
http://members.aol.com/RichClark7/pilgrims.htm

Jesus' Birth (and related issues)
http://members.aol.com/RichClark7/read/birth_JC.htm

Thanks
Do you mean that in the width and height of the img element I adjust the
display to 16 by 16 etc - or are you refering to altering the screen
resolution?
David

Dan

On 18 Dec 2003 13:02:55 GMT, (e-mail address removed) (Richard Clark)
wrote...
| You can also make icons, by simply making a 32x32 .BMP picture, and rename the
| .bmp to .ico

That may work on some systems, i.e., those which have been set up to
iconize .bmp's by default. It also does not allow you to use the
transparency, mulit-resolution and other capabilities of true .ico's.
Renaming a file does not auto-magically change its format, and you can
get some strange behavior when other software tries to read these
faked .ico's. Better to use a converter or icon editor.

- return address is altered slightly to reduce spam.