ico files not appearing on web pages

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Don Wiss, Apr 8, 2005.

  1. Don Wiss

    Don Wiss Guest

    I have started to implement favicons on my various pages. So I have created
    many 16x16 ico files. Then I figured I'd use them on my home page in front
    of the links. So I call them the same as other image files. An example:
    <img src="nowheat.ico">. On my home PC they have always appeared. But then
    today I went to work. We tried on three PCs. On all what was displayed were
    the image not found error boxes. Then I tried displaying one icon directly
    by putting in the Address Bar: donwiss.com/nowheat.ico. It displayed. And
    then when I went back to my page that one icon appeared (it now being in
    the cache). Is there something different with ico files versus regular jpgs
    and gifs? I suppose I could find a way to convert them all to jpgs and
    gifs, but I'd still need the ico versions for the favicons, and after
    updating I don't want to have to maintain two versions.

    I'm IE 6.0.2900. Work is 6.0.2800. Do other people see the icons on my home
    page? What browser?

    Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).
     
    Don Wiss, Apr 8, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Don Wiss

    Oli Filth Guest

    Don Wiss wrote:
    > I have started to implement favicons on my various pages. So I have created
    > many 16x16 ico files. Then I figured I'd use them on my home page in front
    > of the links. So I call them the same as other image files. An example:
    > <img src="nowheat.ico">. On my home PC they have always appeared. But then
    > today I went to work. We tried on three PCs. On all what was displayed were
    > the image not found error boxes. Then I tried displaying one icon directly
    > by putting in the Address Bar: donwiss.com/nowheat.ico. It displayed. And
    > then when I went back to my page that one icon appeared (it now being in
    > the cache). Is there something different with ico files versus regular jpgs
    > and gifs? I suppose I could find a way to convert them all to jpgs and
    > gifs, but I'd still need the ico versions for the favicons, and after
    > updating I don't want to have to maintain two versions.
    >


    IE doesn't display favicons unless you bookmark the page.

    BTW, it's <LINK rel="SHORTCUT ICON" href="icon.ico">, not an <IMG>.

    --
    Oli
     
    Oli Filth, Apr 8, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Don Wiss

    Don Wiss Guest

    On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 01:31:01 GMT, Oli Filth <> wrote:

    >Don Wiss wrote:
    >> I have started to implement favicons on my various pages. So I have created
    >> many 16x16 ico files. Then I figured I'd use them on my home page in front
    >> of the links. So I call them the same as other image files. An example:
    >> <img src="nowheat.ico">. On my home PC they have always appeared. But then
    >> today I went to work. We tried on three PCs. On all what was displayed were
    >> the image not found error boxes. Then I tried displaying one icon directly
    >> by putting in the Address Bar: donwiss.com/nowheat.ico. It displayed. And
    >> then when I went back to my page that one icon appeared (it now being in
    >> the cache). Is there something different with ico files versus regular jpgs
    >> and gifs? I suppose I could find a way to convert them all to jpgs and
    >> gifs, but I'd still need the ico versions for the favicons, and after
    >> updating I don't want to have to maintain two versions.
    >>

    >
    >IE doesn't display favicons unless you bookmark the page.
    >
    >BTW, it's <LINK rel="SHORTCUT ICON" href="icon.ico">, not an <IMG>.


    Uh, my question had nothing to do with implementing favicons. I just
    mentioned that as to why I had all these icons available that I wanted to
    stick on my home page.

    Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).
     
    Don Wiss, Apr 8, 2005
    #3
  4. Don Wiss wrote:
    > I'm IE 6.0.2900. Work is 6.0.2800. Do other people see the icons on
    > my home page? What browser?


    I see all your little icons, using Win2K, Firefox 1..0.2, IE 6.0.2800,
    and Netscape 7.1. I do not see the icons in Opera 7.54, or OffByOne.

    Why not convert them to .gif, which will work for certain in any browser?

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.
     
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 8, 2005
    #4
  5. Don Wiss

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *Beauregard T. Shagnasty* wrote:
    > Don Wiss wrote:
    >> I'm IE 6.0.2900. Work is 6.0.2800. Do other people see the icons on
    >> my home page? What browser?

    >
    > I see all your little icons, using Win2K, Firefox 1..0.2, IE 6.0.2800,
    > and Netscape 7.1. I do not see the icons in Opera 7.54, or OffByOne.


    Strange, I can see only the red "X" in IE 6.0.2800 but they show up in
    Mozilla Suite?

    > Why not convert them to .gif, which will work for certain in any browser?
    >


    Quite right. As it seams, IE is buggy with showing up non standard
    files on websites.

    --
    /Arne

    Top posters will be ignored. Quote the part you
    are replying to, no more and no less! Thank you.
     
    Arne, Apr 8, 2005
    #5
  6. Don Wiss

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Don Wiss wrote:

    > An example: <img src="nowheat.ico">. On my home PC they have always
    > appeared. But then today I went to work. We tried on three PCs. On all
    > what was displayed were the image not found error boxes.


    You are sending them with the wrong Content-Type.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Contact Me ~ http://tobyinkster.co.uk/contact
     
    Toby Inkster, Apr 8, 2005
    #6
  7. Don Wiss

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Arne wrote:

    > Quite right. As it seams, IE is buggy with showing up non standard
    > files on websites.


    IE's behaviour is correct (in this case). Mozilla is buggy. The files are
    served with Content-Type:text/plain so ought to be displayed as text, not
    rendered as images.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Contact Me ~ http://tobyinkster.co.uk/contact
     
    Toby Inkster, Apr 8, 2005
    #7
  8. Don Wiss

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *Toby Inkster* wrote:

    > Arne wrote:
    >
    >> Quite right. As it seams, IE is buggy with showing up non standard
    >> files on websites.

    >
    > IE's behaviour is correct (in this case). Mozilla is buggy. The files are
    > served with Content-Type:text/plain so ought to be displayed as text, not
    > rendered as images.
    >


    Yes, not even Mozilla is perfect :)
    Wondered why it serves some files as text/plain even if the extension
    is someting else, but not doing the same with others. I often get the
    "message" in the Javascript console, that Mozilla have served CSS
    files as CSS even if the Content-Type is text/plain. Buggy in the same
    way as IE in that case :)

    --
    /Arne

    Top posters will be ignored. Quote the part you
    are replying to, no more and no less! Thank you.
     
    Arne, Apr 8, 2005
    #8
  9. Arne wrote:
    > Once upon a time *Beauregard T. Shagnasty* wrote:
    >> Don Wiss wrote:
    >>> I'm IE 6.0.2900. Work is 6.0.2800. Do other people see the icons on
    >>> my home page? What browser?


    >> I see all your little icons, using Win2K, Firefox 1..0.2, IE 6.0.2800,
    >> and Netscape 7.1. I do not see the icons in Opera 7.54, or OffByOne.


    > Strange, I can see only the red "X" in IE 6.0.2800 but they show up in
    > Mozilla Suite?


    >> Why not convert them to .gif, which will work for certain in any browser?


    > Quite right. As it seams, IE is buggy with showing up non standard
    > files on websites.


    Even standard files: png with alpha transparency.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:
    Now killing all posts originating at Google Groups
    http://blinkynet.net/comp/ggfilters.html for rules
     
    Blinky the Shark, Apr 8, 2005
    #9
  10. Don Wiss

    Steve Pugh Guest

    Don Wiss <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote:

    >I have started to implement favicons on my various pages. So I have created
    >many 16x16 ico files. Then I figured I'd use them on my home page in front
    >of the links. So I call them the same as other image files. An example:
    ><img src="nowheat.ico">. On my home PC they have always appeared. But then
    >today I went to work. We tried on three PCs. On all what was displayed were
    >the image not found error boxes. Then I tried displaying one icon directly
    >by putting in the Address Bar: donwiss.com/nowheat.ico. It displayed. And
    >then when I went back to my page that one icon appeared (it now being in
    >the cache). Is there something different with ico files versus regular jpgs
    >and gifs? I suppose I could find a way to convert them all to jpgs and
    >gifs, but I'd still need the ico versions for the favicons, and after
    >updating I don't want to have to maintain two versions.
    >
    >I'm IE 6.0.2900. Work is 6.0.2800. Do other people see the icons on my home
    >page? What browser?


    Your icons are being served with content-type of text/plain change
    that to image/x-icon and more browsers will show them inline. Note
    that IE is funny and will show some .ico files inline but not others.
    I havern't investigated to find what options (multiple sizez, etc.)
    cause IE to not display them.

    Steve



    --
    "My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you,
    I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>
     
    Steve Pugh, Apr 8, 2005
    #10
  11. Don Wiss

    Don Wiss Guest

    On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 09:20:53 +0100, Steve Pugh <> wrote:

    >Your icons are being served with content-type of text/plain change
    >that to image/x-icon and more browsers will show them inline. Note
    >that IE is funny and will show some .ico files inline but not others.
    >I havern't investigated to find what options (multiple sizez, etc.)
    >cause IE to not display them.


    I don't know anything about content type. But I was thinking about my
    problem overnight. One thing that puzzled me is it not working at work on
    IE 6.0.2800, and working at home and on Beauregard's 6.0.2800. I think I
    figured out the problem. My IE is set to not reduce images to fit page
    size. At work it does reduce, and you can't change it. Then, as you know,
    ico files can have multiple sizes. None of mine have multiple sizes, but my
    not specifying the width and height may be confusing some browsers. So I
    just specified width and heigth on them. And border for good measure. I
    plan to check them when I get to work.

    Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).
     
    Don Wiss, Apr 8, 2005
    #11
  12. Don Wiss

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *Don Wiss* wrote:

    > On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 09:20:53 +0100, Steve Pugh <> wrote:
    >
    >>Your icons are being served with content-type of text/plain change
    >>that to image/x-icon and more browsers will show them inline. Note
    >>that IE is funny and will show some .ico files inline but not others.
    >>I havern't investigated to find what options (multiple sizez, etc.)
    >>cause IE to not display them.

    >
    > I don't know anything about content type. But I was thinking about my
    > problem overnight. One thing that puzzled me is it not working at work on
    > IE 6.0.2800, and working at home and on Beauregard's 6.0.2800. I think I
    > figured out the problem. My IE is set to not reduce images to fit page
    > size. At work it does reduce, and you can't change it. Then, as you know,
    > ico files can have multiple sizes. None of mine have multiple sizes, but my
    > not specifying the width and height may be confusing some browsers. So I
    > just specified width and heigth on them. And border for good measure. I
    > plan to check them when I get to work.
    >


    I still don't see the icons on IE (6.0.2800.1106). Now I don't see the
    "big" X boxes, just small error boxes (16x16px I guess) since you set
    the width and height to that.

    --
    /Arne

    Top posters will be ignored. Quote the part you
    are replying to, no more and no less! Thank you.
     
    Arne, Apr 8, 2005
    #12
  13. Don Wiss

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 05:57:52 -0400, Don Wiss <donwiss@no_spam.com>
    wrote:

    >I don't know anything about content type. But I was thinking about my
    >problem overnight.


    No, you weren't thinking - You were guessing. You can't even begin to
    think about this problem until you consider content type.
     
    Andy Dingley, Apr 8, 2005
    #13
  14. Don Wiss

    Oli Filth Guest

    Don Wiss wrote:
    > On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 01:31:01 GMT, Oli Filth <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Don Wiss wrote:
    >>

    <SNIP>
    >>>

    >>
    >>IE doesn't display favicons unless you bookmark the page.
    >>
    >>BTW, it's <LINK rel="SHORTCUT ICON" href="icon.ico">, not an <IMG>.

    >
    >
    > Uh, my question had nothing to do with implementing favicons. I just
    > mentioned that as to why I had all these icons available that I wanted to
    > stick on my home page.
    >


    Apologies. I didn't read your question properly at all!


    --
    Oli
     
    Oli Filth, Apr 8, 2005
    #14
  15. Don Wiss

    Don Wiss Guest

    On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 13:18:09 +0200, Arne <> wrote:

    >Once upon a time *Don Wiss* wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 09:20:53 +0100, Steve Pugh <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Your icons are being served with content-type of text/plain change
    >>>that to image/x-icon and more browsers will show them inline. Note
    >>>that IE is funny and will show some .ico files inline but not others.
    >>>I havern't investigated to find what options (multiple sizez, etc.)
    >>>cause IE to not display them.

    >>
    >> I don't know anything about content type. But I was thinking about my
    >> problem overnight. One thing that puzzled me is it not working at work on
    >> IE 6.0.2800, and working at home and on Beauregard's 6.0.2800. I think I
    >> figured out the problem. My IE is set to not reduce images to fit page
    >> size. At work it does reduce, and you can't change it. Then, as you know,
    >> ico files can have multiple sizes. None of mine have multiple sizes, but my
    >> not specifying the width and height may be confusing some browsers. So I
    >> just specified width and heigth on them. And border for good measure. I
    >> plan to check them when I get to work.
    >>

    >
    >I still don't see the icons on IE (6.0.2800.1106). Now I don't see the
    >"big" X boxes, just small error boxes (16x16px I guess) since you set
    >the width and height to that.


    Yes. That is what I found when I got to work.

    Just to confirm one thing, could you please go to IE, then to Options ->
    Internet Options -> Advanced -> Multimedia Section -> then uncheck Enable
    Automatic Image Resizing. Then go to my page. They now appear, right?

    Thanks, Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).
     
    Don Wiss, Apr 9, 2005
    #15
  16. Don Wiss

    Don Wiss Guest

    On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 09:20:53 +0100, Steve Pugh <> wrote:

    >Don Wiss wrote:
    >> Is there something different with ico files versus regular jpgs
    >>and gifs?


    >Your icons are being served with content-type of text/plain change
    >that to image/x-icon and more browsers will show them inline.


    Hi Steve,

    I gather you mean add this line:
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="image/x-icon">
    I have no content type setting now.

    I'll do it right after I see Arne's response to the effects of changing the
    Enable Automatic Image Resizing.

    Thanks, Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).
     
    Don Wiss, Apr 9, 2005
    #16
  17. Don Wiss

    Oli Filth Guest

    Don Wiss wrote:
    > On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 09:20:53 +0100, Steve Pugh <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Don Wiss wrote:
    >>
    >>>Is there something different with ico files versus regular jpgs
    >>>and gifs?

    >
    >
    >>Your icons are being served with content-type of text/plain change
    >>that to image/x-icon and more browsers will show them inline.

    >
    >
    > Hi Steve,
    >
    > I gather you mean add this line:
    > <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="image/x-icon">
    > I have no content type setting now.
    >


    No, you have to configure your server to output a Content-Type HTTP
    header whenever it serves a .ico file. e.g. with an Apache server, you'd
    add:

    AddType image/x-icon .ico

    to your .htaccess file (or the httpd.conf file if you have access to it).

    --
    Oli
     
    Oli Filth, Apr 9, 2005
    #17
  18. Don Wiss

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *Don Wiss* wrote:
    > On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 13:18:09 +0200, Arne <> wrote:
    >
    >>Once upon a time *Don Wiss* wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 09:20:53 +0100, Steve Pugh <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>Your icons are being served with content-type of text/plain change
    >>>>that to image/x-icon and more browsers will show them inline. Note
    >>>>that IE is funny and will show some .ico files inline but not others.
    >>>>I havern't investigated to find what options (multiple sizez, etc.)
    >>>>cause IE to not display them.
    >>>
    >>> I don't know anything about content type. But I was thinking about my
    >>> problem overnight. One thing that puzzled me is it not working at work on
    >>> IE 6.0.2800, and working at home and on Beauregard's 6.0.2800. I think I
    >>> figured out the problem. My IE is set to not reduce images to fit page
    >>> size. At work it does reduce, and you can't change it. Then, as you know,
    >>> ico files can have multiple sizes. None of mine have multiple sizes, but my
    >>> not specifying the width and height may be confusing some browsers. So I
    >>> just specified width and heigth on them. And border for good measure. I
    >>> plan to check them when I get to work.
    >>>

    >>
    >>I still don't see the icons on IE (6.0.2800.1106). Now I don't see the
    >>"big" X boxes, just small error boxes (16x16px I guess) since you set
    >>the width and height to that.

    >
    > Yes. That is what I found when I got to work.
    >
    > Just to confirm one thing, could you please go to IE, then to Options ->
    > Internet Options -> Advanced -> Multimedia Section -> then uncheck Enable
    > Automatic Image Resizing. Then go to my page. They now appear, right?
    >


    I did it, but I can't see any difference. Just the small 16x16px error
    boxes as placeholders for the images I can't see.

    The only way to see the icons on my IE is when I downloaded the page
    and images to my desktop. Then they appeared. And of cause when I did
    as you, first displaying them from the address bar and then went back
    to the page. But that's it.

    --
    /Arne

    Top posters will be ignored. Quote the part you
    are replying to, no more and no less! Thank you.
     
    Arne, Apr 9, 2005
    #18
  19. Don Wiss

    Steve Pugh Guest

    Don Wiss <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote:

    >On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 09:20:53 +0100, Steve Pugh <> wrote:
    >
    >>Don Wiss wrote:
    >>> Is there something different with ico files versus regular jpgs
    >>>and gifs?

    >
    >>Your icons are being served with content-type of text/plain change
    >>that to image/x-icon and more browsers will show them inline.

    >
    >I gather you mean add this line:
    ><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="image/x-icon">


    No I do not. How would you add such a line to a graphics file anyway?

    >I have no content type setting now.


    Yes you do. The .ico file sent out from your server has a
    content-type: text/plain HTTP header.

    >I'll do it right after I see Arne's response to the effects of changing the
    >Enable Automatic Image Resizing.


    I don't think changing a setting in IE will help the icons to show up
    in Opera. But configuring your server to tell the browsers that they
    are in fact image files and not text documents probably will.

    Steve

    --
    "My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you,
    I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>
     
    Steve Pugh, Apr 9, 2005
    #19
  20. Don Wiss

    Don Wiss Guest

    On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 01:31:59 GMT, Oli Filth <> wrote:

    >No, you have to configure your server to output a Content-Type HTTP
    >header whenever it serves a .ico file. e.g. with an Apache server, you'd
    >add:
    >
    > AddType image/x-icon .ico
    >
    >to your .htaccess file (or the httpd.conf file if you have access to it).


    Okay. I have created an .htaccess file with that line in it and put it in
    my home directory. Since the icons have always displayed at home I'm
    dependant on you guys telling me it has made a difference.

    Thanks, Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).
     
    Don Wiss, Apr 9, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Patrick Olurotimi Ige

    Having favicon.ico instead of IE.ico on a website

    Patrick Olurotimi Ige, Dec 9, 2004, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    3,560
    Martin Dechev
    Dec 9, 2004
  2. Tal
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    3,360
    Sudsy
    Jan 3, 2004
  3. Ike

    ICO files

    Ike, Jan 7, 2004, in forum: Java
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    8,349
  4. Mel
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    456
    Steve Pugh
    Mar 9, 2005
  5. Shukie

    Pages not appearing in localhost

    Shukie, Jul 6, 2004, in forum: ASP General
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    137
    Jeff Cochran
    Jul 7, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page