    add a link to create a desktop shortcut to my website using said icon.
    Anyone?

    Thanks!

    Ron Hinds, Nov 15, 2007

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon

    > Also, I'd like to add a link to create a desktop shortcut to
    > my website using said icon.

    In other words, you want a web page to be able to write files on the
    user's machine. This is not allowed, for obvious reasons.

    You can prompt the user to add your site to Favorites:

    With best wishes,
    Igor Tandetnik

    necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to
    land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly
    overhead. -- RFC 1925

    Igor Tandetnik, Nov 15, 2007

  3. Ron Hinds

    Ron Hinds Guest

    "Igor Tandetnik" <> wrote in message
    > Ron Hinds <> wrote:
    >> How do I get *my* icon to display in the address
    >> bar instead of the standard browser's icon

    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon

    Hi and thanks. I tried this and it still isn't showing up. Do I need to
    delete my browser cache or something?

    >> Also, I'd like to add a link to create a desktop shortcut to
    >> my website using said icon.

    > In other words, you want a web page to be able to write files on the
    > user's machine. This is not allowed, for obvious reasons.

    Really? ;-)

    > You can prompt the user to add your site to Favorites:

    Actually, what I wanted to do was prompt the user, then if they accept, have
    them run a script of some sort (perhaps a MSI script) that would place an
    Internet Shortcut on their desktop to my website with my icon and company
    name.

    Ron Hinds, Nov 16, 2007
  4. "Ron Hinds" <> wrote in message
    > Actually, what I wanted to do was prompt the user, then if they
    > accept, have them run a script of some sort (perhaps a MSI script)
    > that would place an Internet Shortcut on their desktop to my website
    > with my icon and company name.

    You can of course have a link pointing to an MSI or EXE file that can do
    pretty much whatever you want. The user will be prompted with a standard
    security dialog before they can run it.

    Igor Tandetnik, Nov 16, 2007
  5. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Ron Hinds" <>
    writing in news:#yJccV#:

    >>> How do I get *my* icon to display in the address
    >>> bar instead of the standard browser's icon

    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon

    > Hi and thanks. I tried this and it still isn't showing up. Do I need to
    > delete my browser cache or something?

    If you are using a modern browser, it should show up right away. If you
    are using IE6 and older, then you have to save to favorites, and then it
    _should_ show up. My suggestion is to get a better browser.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Nov 16, 2007
  6. Ron Hinds

    Ron Hinds Guest

    "Adrienne Boswell" <> wrote in message
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Ron Hinds" <>
    > writing in news:#yJccV#:

    >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon

    >> Hi and thanks. I tried this and it still isn't showing up. Do I need to
    >> delete my browser cache or something?
    >>

    > If you are using a modern browser, it should show up right away. If you
    > are using IE6 and older, then you have to save to favorites, and then it
    > _should_ show up. My suggestion is to get a better browser.

    Using IE7. It finally did show up after I deleted my history, cookies, and
    temporary internet files.

    Ron Hinds, Nov 16, 2007