Icon display?

Ron Hinds

OK, I know this isn't an ASP question. But I'm hoping someone here knows the
answer. How do I get *my* icon to display in the address bar instead of the
standard browser's icon, like e.g. on the MSDN website? Also, I'd like to
add a link to create a desktop shortcut to my website using said icon.
Anyone?

Thanks!

Igor Tandetnik

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon

Also, I'd like to add a link to create a desktop shortcut to
my website using said icon.

In other words, you want a web page to be able to write files on the
user's machine. This is not allowed, for obvious reasons.

You can prompt the user to add your site to Favorites:

With best wishes,
Igor Tandetnik

necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to
land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly
overhead. -- RFC 1925

Ron Hinds

Igor Tandetnik said:

Hi and thanks. I tried this and it still isn't showing up. Do I need to
delete my browser cache or something?
In other words, you want a web page to be able to write files on the
user's machine. This is not allowed, for obvious reasons.

Really? ;-)
You can prompt the user to add your site to Favorites:

Actually, what I wanted to do was prompt the user, then if they accept, have
them run a script of some sort (perhaps a MSI script) that would place an
Internet Shortcut on their desktop to my website with my icon and company
name.

Igor Tandetnik

Ron Hinds said:
Actually, what I wanted to do was prompt the user, then if they
accept, have them run a script of some sort (perhaps a MSI script)
that would place an Internet Shortcut on their desktop to my website
with my icon and company name.

You can of course have a link pointing to an MSI or EXE file that can do
pretty much whatever you want. The user will be prompted with a standard
security dialog before they can run it.
--
With best wishes,
Igor Tandetnik

necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to
land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly
overhead. -- RFC 1925

Adrienne Boswell

Hi and thanks. I tried this and it still isn't showing up. Do I need to
delete my browser cache or something?

If you are using a modern browser, it should show up right away. If you
are using IE6 and older, then you have to save to favorites, and then it
_should_ show up. My suggestion is to get a better browser.

Ron Hinds

Adrienne Boswell said:
If you are using a modern browser, it should show up right away. If you
are using IE6 and older, then you have to save to favorites, and then it
_should_ show up. My suggestion is to get a better browser.

Using IE7. It finally did show up after I deleted my history, cookies, and
temporary internet files.