Icon Editors

Discussion in 'HTML' started by mcp6453, May 23, 2004.

  1. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    mcp6453, May 23, 2004

  2. mcp6453

    DanN Guest

    On Sat, 22 May 2004 21:45:19 -0400, mcp6453 <>
    wrote...
    | Looking for a simple and free or inexpensive icon editor to allow us to
    | change the default icon in an EXE file.

    For Windows, you might look at Iconforge - www.cursorarts.com and
    Microangelo - www.impactsoft.com I've used them to change exe icons.
    Note that some exe's object to having their icons changed, so you
    should always keep a backup of the exe file just in case. Not sure I
    understand what you want to do with an .exe icon in html, though???

    (don't live at a com or net - address listed is altered)

    DanN, May 23, 2004

  3. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    DanN wrote:

    > On Sat, 22 May 2004 21:45:19 -0400, mcp6453 <>
    > wrote...
    > | Looking for a simple and free or inexpensive icon editor to allow us to
    > | change the default icon in an EXE file.
    >
    > For Windows, you might look at Iconforge - www.cursorarts.com and
    > Microangelo - www.impactsoft.com I've used them to change exe icons.
    > Note that some exe's object to having their icons changed, so you
    > should always keep a backup of the exe file just in case. Not sure I
    > understand what you want to do with an .exe icon in html, though???

    Thanks for that info. I don't want to do anything with an exe icon in
    HTML. I posted in this group because I could not think of another group
    that would have people as knowledgeable as this one with regard to the
    subject matter.

    mcp6453, May 23, 2004
  4. mcp6453

    Richard Guest

    mcp6453 wrote:

    > DanN wrote:
    >>
    >> On Sat, 22 May 2004 21:45:19 -0400, mcp6453 <>
    >> wrote...
    >> | Looking for a simple and free or inexpensive icon editor to allow us
    >> to | change the default icon in an EXE file. For Windows, you might look
    >>at Iconforge - www.cursorarts.com and Microangelo - www.impactsoft.com
    >>I've used them to change exe icons. Note that some exe's object to having
    >>their icons changed, so you should always keep a backup of the exe file
    >>just in case. Not sure I understand what you want to do with an .exe icon
    >>in html, though???

    > Thanks for that info. I don't want to do anything with an exe icon in
    > HTML. I posted in this group because I could not think of another group
    > that would have people as knowledgeable as this one with regard to the
    > subject matter.

    try 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    Nothing is off topic and is one of the most active newsgroups in usenet.
    Where you got 1 reply here, you'd get 10 there.

    Richard, May 23, 2004
  5. mcp6453 <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Looking for a simple and free or inexpensive icon editor to allow us to
    > change the default icon in an EXE file. Any recommendations? How about
    > http://www.aha-soft.com/iconxp/index.htm?

    IfranView can extract icons from exe/dll's/icl's
    http://www.irfanview.com/
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart

    Edwin van der Vaart, May 23, 2004
  6. "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    > Looking for a simple and free or inexpensive icon editor to allow us to
    > change the default icon in an EXE file. Any recommendations? How about
    > http://www.aha-soft.com/iconxp/index.htm?

    I finally settled on Axialis Icon Workshop (Personal Edition)
    http://www.axialis.com/iconworkshop/index.html It allows a shareware
    download to try and costs $35 to keep. I tried several from Google. Most
    were too simple and Microangelo was too expensive and had many more features
    than I would ever use. It's great if you're going to go into the icon
    business.

    Good luck.

    stephen

    Stephen T. Fox, May 23, 2004
  7. mcp6453

    David Segall Guest

    mcp6453 <> wrote:

    >Looking for a simple and free or inexpensive icon editor to allow us to
    >change the default icon in an EXE file. Any recommendations? How about
    >http://www.aha-soft.com/iconxp/index.htm?

    Have a look at Icon Edit Pro (http://www.iconedit.com/) It's shareware
    so you can try it and the registered version is only $US20.00. I like
    it because it has a few tools to help the "graphically challenged"
    like me make toolbar icons from other images. I don't think that it
    allows you to change the _default_ icon in an .exe file but I didn't
    see an explicit claim that IconXP allowed you to do this either.

    David Segall, May 23, 2004
  8. Edwin van der Vaart, May 23, 2004
  9. Edwin van der Vaart, May 23, 2004
  10. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    Edwin van der Vaart wrote:

    > mcp6453 wrote:
    > > Looking for a simple and free or inexpensive icon editor to allow us to
    > > change the default icon in an EXE file. Any recommendations? How about
    > > http://www.aha-soft.com/iconxp/index.htm?

    > IfranView can tract an icon into a exe file.
    > http://www.irfanview.com/

    I am able to see the icon(s) in an EXE with Irfanview, but how do I put
    one back into the file?

    mcp6453, May 23, 2004
  11. mcp6453

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle mcp6453 scribbled in the mud:

    > Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
    >>
    >> mcp6453 wrote:
    >> > Looking for a simple and free or inexpensive icon editor to allow
    >> > us to change the default icon in an EXE file. Any recommendations?
    >> > How about http://www.aha-soft.com/iconxp/index.htm?

    >> IfranView can tract an icon into a exe file.
    >> http://www.irfanview.com/

    > I am able to see the icon(s) in an EXE with Irfanview, but how do I
    > put one back into the file?

    Supper glue. ;)

    --
    Duende
    I'll never do that again.

    Duende, May 24, 2004
  12. Duende wrote:

    > While sitting in a puddle mcp6453 scribbled in the mud:

    >> Edwin van der Vaart wrote:

    >>> IfranView can tract an icon into a exe file.
    >>> http://www.irfanview.com/

    >> I am able to see the icon(s) in an EXE with Irfanview, but how do I
    >> put one back into the file?

    > Supper glue. ;)

    Supper Glue. It sticks to your ribs! :)

    If Irfan can't replace an exe icon (and I'm not convinced it can), one
    could still extract it, edit it, and simply save it as an external icon,
    then use it for the program. I, from my Win days, don't remember exes
    being locked into their internal icons. I could be wrong. It's
    happened.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    AOL Diary http://snipurl.com/aoldiary

    Blinky the Shark, May 24, 2004
  13. mcp6453

    mscir Guest

    mscir, May 24, 2004
  14. mcp6453 wrote:

    > I am able to see the icon(s) in an EXE with Irfanview, but how do I put
    > one back into the file?

    There are these things called "Resource Editors" out there that allow you
    to open up an EXE file and overwrite various bitmaps and even strings
    within them. (Always keep a backup though!)

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, May 24, 2004