    iconv in Ruby for Windows?

    Thx,
    Thomas
    Thomas Leitner, Dec 10, 2004

  2. On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 00:17:30 +0900, Thomas Leitner <> wrote:
    > I'm using the iconv library form the Ruby Standard Library under Linux
    > and it works quite well, but the iconv library is not available under
    > Windows (using the One-Click-Installer). Is there anything equivalent to
    > iconv in Ruby for Windows?

    My recommendation is to request that iconv be included with the
    One-Click-Installer.

    -austin
    --
    Austin Ziegler *
    * Alternate:
    Austin Ziegler, Dec 10, 2004

  3. On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 00:45:11 +0900
    Austin Ziegler <> wrote:

    | On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 00:17:30 +0900, Thomas Leitner <>
    | wrote:
    | > I'm using the iconv library form the Ruby Standard Library under
    | > Linux and it works quite well, but the iconv library is not
    | > available under Windows (using the One-Click-Installer). Is there
    | > anything equivalent to iconv in Ruby for Windows?
    |
    | My recommendation is to request that iconv be included with the
    | One-Click-Installer.

    I have looked at the feature request page of the One-Click-Installer
    project and there is already a feature request for iconv. Thanks for
    pointing me to that!

    Thomas

    --
    |\ Thomas Leitner -- thomas [underscore] leitner [at] gmx [dot] at

    Thomas Leitner, Dec 10, 2004
  4. Thomas Leitner

    Curt Hibbs Guest

    Thomas Leitner wrote:

    > On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 00:45:11 +0900
    > Austin Ziegler <> wrote:
    >
    > | On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 00:17:30 +0900, Thomas Leitner <>
    > | wrote:
    > | > I'm using the iconv library form the Ruby Standard Library under
    > | > Linux and it works quite well, but the iconv library is not
    > | > available under Windows (using the One-Click-Installer). Is there
    > | > anything equivalent to iconv in Ruby for Windows?
    > |
    > | My recommendation is to request that iconv be included with the
    > | One-Click-Installer.
    > |

    > I have looked at the feature request page of the One-Click-Installer
    > project and there is already a feature request for iconv. Thanks for
    > pointing me to that!

    If someone would be willing to package iconv as a RubyGem, them it would
    become immediately available thru a simple "gem install iconv", since
    RubyGems is now included in the one-click installer.

    Curt
    Curt Hibbs, Dec 10, 2004
  5. Curt Hibbs ha scritto:

    > If someone would be willing to package iconv as a RubyGem, them it would
    > become immediately available thru a simple "gem install iconv", since
    > RubyGems is now included in the one-click installer.
    >
    > Curt

    yes, but iconv is one of the things that is part of the standard ruby
    (it is a c bingind in /ext) so it would be nice to see it provided with
    the standard 1-click-installer (maybe with the proper iconv utility)
    gabriele renzi, Dec 10, 2004
  6. On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 04:57:24 +0900, gabriele renzi
    <> wrote:
    > Curt Hibbs ha scritto:
    > > If someone would be willing to package iconv as a RubyGem, them it would
    > > become immediately available thru a simple "gem install iconv", since
    > > RubyGems is now included in the one-click installer.

    > yes, but iconv is one of the things that is part of the standard ruby
    > (it is a c bingind in /ext) so it would be nice to see it provided with
    > the standard 1-click-installer (maybe with the proper iconv utility)

    Right. If it's provided with standard Ruby (e.g., OpenSSL, iconv, a
    few other things), then the 1-click installer should include them.

    I personally don't like the idea of forcing users to use RubyGems for
    a lot of things that are currently in the installer.

    -austin
    --
    Austin Ziegler *
    * Alternate:
    Austin Ziegler, Dec 10, 2004
  7. Thomas Leitner

    Curt Hibbs Guest

    gabriele renzi wrote:

    > Curt Hibbs ha scritto:
    >

    > > If someone would be willing to package iconv as a RubyGem, them it would
    > > become immediately available thru a simple "gem install iconv", since
    > > RubyGems is now included in the one-click installer.
    > >
    > > Curt

    > yes, but iconv is one of the things that is part of the standard ruby
    > (it is a c bingind in /ext) so it would be nice to see it provided with
    > the standard 1-click-installer (maybe with the proper iconv utility)

    <embarrassed> That'll teach me to dash off a quick reply before heading out
    to a meeting! :-(

    My intention was to use this as an encouragement to use RubyGems, but I sure
    did pick the wrong thing!

    Curt
    Curt Hibbs, Dec 10, 2004
  8. Thomas Leitner

    Stu Guest

    On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 05:22:38 +0900, Austin Ziegler
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 04:57:24 +0900, gabriele renzi
    ><> wrote:
    >> Curt Hibbs ha scritto:
    >> > If someone would be willing to package iconv as a RubyGem, them it would
    >> > become immediately available thru a simple "gem install iconv", since
    >> > RubyGems is now included in the one-click installer.

    >> yes, but iconv is one of the things that is part of the standard ruby
    >> (it is a c bingind in /ext) so it would be nice to see it provided with
    >> the standard 1-click-installer (maybe with the proper iconv utility)

    >Right. If it's provided with standard Ruby (e.g., OpenSSL, iconv, a
    >few other things), then the 1-click installer should include them.
    >
    >I personally don't like the idea of forcing users to use RubyGems for
    >a lot of things that are currently in the installer.

    personally im kinda sick of all the duplication.

    i have iconv with my win32 GTK install (gaim),
    i have iconv with my apache2 install
    i have iconv with my php install
    i have iconv with cygwin
    i have iconv with DevCPP
    i have iconv with subversion
    i also have some inconv dlls in my windows\system32 which I dont
    know what app owns.

    i dont mind having the world + kitchen sink in the 1click installer
    as long as I can checkbox it out and not break anything if I have
    iconv installed by something else already.

    where is the line? if we add openssl are we going to add mysql just
    for kicks? or postgresql? how about a c compiler since some extensions
    require compilation??

    -- Stu --
    [FAQ] Write Your Own Operating System
    http://www.mega-tokyo.com/osfaq2
    Stu, Dec 11, 2004
  9. On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 05:12:34 +0900, Stu <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 05:22:38 +0900, Austin Ziegler
    > <> wrote:
    >> On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 04:57:24 +0900, gabriele renzi
    >> <> wrote:
    >>> yes, but iconv is one of the things that is part of the standard
    >>> ruby (it is a c bingind in /ext) so it would be nice to see it
    >>> provided with the standard 1-click-installer (maybe with the
    >>> proper iconv utility)

    >> Right. If it's provided with standard Ruby (e.g., OpenSSL, iconv,
    >> a few other things), then the 1-click installer should include
    >> them.
    >>
    >> I personally don't like the idea of forcing users to use RubyGems
    >> for a lot of things that are currently in the installer.

    > personally im kinda sick of all the duplication.

    For extra/external libraries, I can agree with you. Thus, iconv.dll
    should only be installed when it is selected (which it should be, by
    default). However, iconv.so -- the Ruby interface to iconv -- must
    be installed regardless. Maybe the installer can check to see if it
    can load iconv.dll from the PATH before it selects the iconv.dll
    installation by default.

    MySQL and PostgresQL (the databases, not the bindings) would not be
    included because they are clearly separate libraries that a user
    must want to use. Iconv and OpenSSL are *assumed* by Ruby to be part
    of a working operating system.

    At a minimum, the Ruby bindings must be included. If there are
    redistributables (e.g., openssl.dll, iconv.dll) that would be
    beneficial, they should be included but made optional for
    installation.

    The point is to have a complete installer for people who would run
    our applications, not just programmers. If not, then we tell people
    on Windows to download and install fifteen things *before they can
    even RUN Ruby*.

    -austin
    --
    Austin Ziegler *
    * Alternate:
    Austin Ziegler, Dec 11, 2004
  10. Thomas Leitner

    Carlos Guest

    [Stu <>, 2004-12-11 21.12 CET]
    > personally im kinda sick of all the duplication.
    >
    > i have iconv with my win32 GTK install (gaim),
    > i have iconv with my apache2 install
    > i have iconv with my php install
    > i have iconv with cygwin
    > i have iconv with DevCPP
    > i have iconv with subversion
    > i also have some inconv dlls in my windows\system32 which I dont
    > know what app owns.

    Hopefully you'll be able to configure all of these to use ruby's iconv and
    stop the duplication.

    > i dont mind having the world + kitchen sink in the 1click installer
    > as long as I can checkbox it out and not break anything if I have
    > iconv installed by something else already.

    That's a good idea.

    > where is the line? if we add openssl are we going to add mysql just
    > for kicks? or postgresql? how about a c compiler since some extensions
    > require compilation??

    The extensions in ruby's ext directory. And they should come precompiled.
    Carlos, Dec 11, 2004
  11. Thomas Leitner

    Stu Guest

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 06:40:20 +0900, Austin Ziegler
    <> wrote:

    >At a minimum, the Ruby bindings must be included. If there are
    >redistributables (e.g., openssl.dll, iconv.dll) that would be
    >beneficial, they should be included but made optional for
    >installation.
    >
    >The point is to have a complete installer for people who would run
    >our applications, not just programmers. If not, then we tell people
    >on Windows to download and install fifteen things *before they can
    >even RUN Ruby*.

    like i said, I have nothing against loading the installer with
    everything under the sun, its a great way to distribute a base
    install etc.

    and id love to see more binary extensions come with the installer,
    for things that are a PITA to build oneself (ala mod_ruby, db drivers,
    ncurses, etc).

    its easy to say XYZ is in rubygems, and it would be quite easy
    for a non-programmer to gem install XYZ.. but do we expect
    non-programmers to have compilers installed if they try to
    gem install ncurses??

    the other side of the coin is a base ruby install with nothing else
    and some secondary install packs, say ruby-database-1click-installer
    or ruby-widgets-1click for gtk/wx/fox/etc, mm im going off on tangents
    now...

    Stu, Dec 11, 2004
  12. Stu ha scritto:

    > personally im kinda sick of all the duplication.
    >
    > i have iconv with my win32 GTK install (gaim),
    > i have iconv with my apache2 install
    > i have iconv with my php install
    > i have iconv with cygwin
    > i have iconv with DevCPP
    > i have iconv with subversion
    > i also have some inconv dlls in my windows\system32 which I dont
    > know what app owns.
    >
    > i dont mind having the world + kitchen sink in the 1click installer
    > as long as I can checkbox it out and not break anything if I have
    > iconv installed by something else already.
    >
    > where is the line? if we add openssl are we going to add mysql just
    > for kicks? or postgresql? how about a c compiler since some extensions
    > require compilation??

    just a thing: you can get a binary ruby for win32 withouth all the
    useful but not necessary stuff from here:
    http://www.garbagecollect.jp/ruby/mswin32/en/
    gabriele renzi, Dec 12, 2004
  13. On Sunday, December 12, 2004, 7:12:34 AM, Stu wrote:

    > where is the line? if we add openssl are we going to add mysql just
    > for kicks? or postgresql? how about a c compiler since some extensions
    > require compilation??

    People tend to think that if it's installed with Ruby on other
    systems, it should be installed on Windows with Ruby as well. That
    includes openssl and iconv, and omits mysql, postgresql, and a C
    compiler :)

    Gavin
    Gavin Sinclair, Dec 12, 2004
  14. curses would sure be nice

    Alexander Kellett, Dec 14, 2004
  15. Alexander Kellett wrote:
    > curses would sure be nice

    Without cygwin, the closest I think you can get is win32-console.
    Available on the RAA.

    Regards,

    Dan
    Daniel Berger, Dec 14, 2004
  16. Daniel Berger ha scritto:
    > Alexander Kellett wrote:
    >
    >>curses would sure be nice
    >>

    > Without cygwin, the closest I think you can get is win32-console.
    > Available on the RAA.

    I may be wrong, but IIRC, ext/curses worked reasonably when compiled
    with pdcurses.
    gabriele renzi, Dec 14, 2004
  17. yup works fine. there was at some point a perfectly working
    ruby mswin32 build that worked well with the pdcurses download
    though i can't find this anymore. domain was d4win or something
    from what i recall. but its been a while.

    unfortunately the one-click installer has never supported it so
    i've had to steer away from it :(

    Alex

    Alexander Kellett, Dec 15, 2004
  18. Thomas Leitner

    Stu Guest

    On 14 Dec 2004 07:05:23 -0800, "Daniel Berger" <>
    wrote:

    >Alexander Kellett wrote:
    >> curses would sure be nice
    >>

    >Without cygwin, the closest I think you can get is win32-console.
    >Available on the RAA.

    the rubygems ncurses builds with errors but seems to works
    (built under vs6 with pdcurses 2.4 or 2.6).
    seems to work fine.

    even the Im sure it uses pdcurses (as thats whats on my
    system) rather than ncurses.

    Stu, Dec 15, 2004