I'd appreciate your eyes and brains

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Timothy Ace Holleran, Apr 13, 2005.

  1. To make a long story short, I have a client who is upset that the pop-up
    windows on her site aren't fully visible to all vistors. I had originally
    set all pop windows to be 800x600, then enlarged them by 50px each way.
    Finally, I added resizability and scrollbars.

    These windows open up fine on my computer. Client says that her friends can
    open the windows, but they bleed off the screen with no way of seeing all
    the info.

    Frankly, I'm stumped. Would any of you please take a look?

    Here's the URL for the navpage:
    www.finishedwithstyle.com/mainpage.html

    Then click on any of the links in the left-hand column to open the first
    window in each series.

    A sample of my JS code to open a window:

    function winsamp() {
    window.open('samp_1.html','myWindow','width=850,height=650,top=0,left=0,scrollbars=1,resizable=1')
    }

    Thanks in advance.

    Ace of AceHolleran.com
    Timothy Ace Holleran, Apr 13, 2005

  2. Timothy Ace Holleran

    Els Guest

    Timothy Ace Holleran wrote:

    > To make a long story short, I have a client who is upset that the pop-up
    > windows on her site aren't fully visible to all vistors. I had originally
    > set all pop windows to be 800x600, then enlarged them by 50px each way.
    > Finally, I added resizability and scrollbars.
    >
    > These windows open up fine on my computer. Client says that her friends can
    > open the windows, but they bleed off the screen with no way of seeing all
    > the info.
    >
    > Frankly, I'm stumped. Would any of you please take a look?

    Without looking (I don't know JavaScript): Could it be these visitors
    use monitors with resolutions set to less than 850x650? I know quite a
    few people (understatement) use 800x600 and even 640x480. (Not
    mentioning PDA's)

    > Here's the URL for the navpage:
    > www.finishedwithstyle.com/mainpage.html
    >
    > Then click on any of the links in the left-hand column to open the first
    > window in each series.

    Doesn't do anything in my popup-blocking-browser.
    Just for this once I'll allow popups though...

    Yup, popups larger than 800x600.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, Apr 13, 2005

  3. On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 11:05:16 -0400, Timothy Ace Holleran
    <> wrote:

    > To make a long story short, I have a client who is upset that the pop-up
    > windows on her site aren't fully visible to all vistors. I had originally
    > set all pop windows to be 800x600, then enlarged them by 50px each way.
    > Finally, I added resizability and scrollbars.

    Are you deliberately trying to upset people in here :)

    > These windows open up fine on my computer.

    Oh, I see. And that is representative for _the_ultimate_standard_ is it?

    > Client says that her friends can open the windows, but they bleed off
    > the screen with no way of seeing all the info.

    You have way bigger problems than that.

    > Here's the URL for the navpage:
    > www.finishedwithstyle.com/mainpage.html

    That's not a URL.

    > Then click on any of the links in the left-hand column to open the first
    > window in each series.

    I dont get any links. As a matter of fact, all I get (WinXP, 1024x756,
    Op7.54, no images allowed, no scripts allowed, no active elements allowed)
    is a lot of maroonlike colour and one active link about directions. The
    source doesn't help any either. And hitting [Ctrl]+[G] doesn't do anything
    either because you were too (? what? uneducated? ignorant? lame?) to
    provide any content for those of us who are either on dial-up or still pay
    per amount of data. Don't tell me you've made someone pay for this,
    because it is a job horribly done.

    Barbara de Zoete, Apr 13, 2005
  4. In article <Nya7e.2635$>,
    "Timothy Ace Holleran" <> wrote:

    > www.finishedwithstyle.com/mainpage.html
    >
    > To make a long story short, I have a client who is upset that the pop-up
    > windows on her site aren't fully visible to all vistors. I had originally
    > set all pop windows to be 800x600, then enlarged them by 50px each way.
    > Finally, I added resizability and scrollbars.

    First, I'm having a hard time seeing why the pop-ups are necessary at
    all. These aren't little auxiliary windows: this is the main content of
    the site it appears and you're using a lot of real estate for them. Why
    not load them in the existing browser window?

    Second, 850 x 650px is a big window size to impose on a visitor. What
    happens for folks whose screen is at 800x600 or smaller? Right: part of
    the window flows off-screen, something that few users are savvy enough
    to deal with gracefully.

    Personally, I think it'd be safer and simpler to simply use the space in
    the browser window the visitor provides you. That should be plenty of
    room (if your design isn't otherwise constrained by fixed dimensions),
    may be easier to navigate, and will entirely avoid the problem of
    imposing oversized windows on unsuspecting visitors.

    --
    Joel.
    Joel Shepherd, Apr 13, 2005
  5. Timothy Ace Holleran

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "Timothy Ace Holleran" <> wrote:

    >To make a long story short, I have a client who is upset that the pop-up
    >windows on her site aren't fully visible to all vistors.

    Such as those who have JavaScript switched off?

    > I had originally
    >set all pop windows to be 800x600, then enlarged them by 50px each way.

    So you started off with your window set at the full desktop size for a
    fair portion of users and then made then larger?

    >Finally, I added resizability and scrollbars.

    Finally?

    >These windows open up fine on my computer. Client says that her friends can
    >open the windows, but they bleed off the screen with no way of seeing all
    >the info.

    Have you asked your client what size desktop she and her friends are
    using? If its 800x600 then the problem is obvious.

    >Frankly, I'm stumped. Would any of you please take a look?
    >
    >Here's the URL for the navpage:
    >www.finishedwithstyle.com/mainpage.html
    >
    >Then click on any of the links in the left-hand column to open the first
    >window in each series.

    There are no links in the left hand column. In fact there's no left
    hand column at all.

    >A sample of my JS code to open a window:
    >
    >function winsamp() {
    >window.open('samp_1.html','myWindow','width=850,height=650,top=0,left=0,scrollbars=1,resizable=1')
    >}

    But how are you linking to that JavaScript? If you're doing <a
    href="javascript: winsamp()"> then the link won't work at all if
    users have JS disabled but if you're doing <a href="samp_1.html"
    onclick="winsamp(); return false;"> then the link will still work when
    JS is disabled but may still fail if JS is enabled and an aggressive
    popup blocker is used.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>
    Steve Pugh, Apr 13, 2005
  6. Barbara de Zoete wrote:
    > I dont get any links. As a matter of fact, all I get (WinXP,

    1024x756,
    > Op7.54, no images allowed, no scripts allowed, no active elements

    allowed)

    Man I wonder what is wrong with your computer? Everything worked on my
    computer...

    (See the three dots? In this case, it indicates humor)

    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, Apr 13, 2005
  7. Timothy Ace Holleran

    Uncle Pirate Guest

    Timothy Ace Holleran wrote:
    > To make a long story short, I have a client who is upset that the pop-up
    > windows on her site aren't fully visible to all vistors. I had originally
    > set all pop windows to be 800x600, then enlarged them by 50px each way.
    > Finally, I added resizability and scrollbars.
    >
    > These windows open up fine on my computer. Client says that her friends can
    > open the windows, but they bleed off the screen with no way of seeing all
    > the info.

    Is this for an Intranet? None of the windows open for me. I have
    JavaScript turned off. Advise your client that opening new windows
    should be the choice of the user on the WWW. If your client refuses, do
    what you must, but it is best if possible, to not open new windows.

    Coordinator, Tularosa Basin Chapter, ABATE of NM; AMA#758681; COBB
    '94 1500 Vulcan (now wrecked) :( http://motorcyclefun.org/Dcp_2068c.jpg
    Uncle Pirate, Apr 13, 2005
  8. I had a look at the site and didn't have a problem with any of the pop-up
    windows. Other than perhaps your clients friends are looking at the site
    with lesson than 800X600 I don't honestly know what you could do
    differently. To me, the site looks great!

    Heather
    Heather Brunet, Apr 13, 2005
  9. Timothy Ace Holleran

    Oli Filth Guest

    Timothy Ace Holleran wrote:
    > To make a long story short, I have a client who is upset that the pop-up
    > windows on her site aren't fully visible to all vistors. I had originally
    > set all pop windows to be 800x600, then enlarged them by 50px each way.
    > Finally, I added resizability and scrollbars.

    <SNIP>

    > A sample of my JS code to open a window:
    >
    > function winsamp() {
    > window.open('samp_1.html','myWindow','width=850,height=650,top=0,left=0,scrollbars=1,resizable=1')
    > }

    So, not only are you using pop-ups for your site's content, they're
    activated by Javascript. That's a good way to make your site unreadable
    in a *lot* of modern browsers.

    I can't access anything on your site, I'm running Firefox 1.0.2 with
    Javascript *enabled*.

    --
    Oli
    Oli Filth, Apr 13, 2005
  10. Timothy Ace Holleran

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Steve Pugh wrote:
    > "Timothy Ace Holleran" <> wrote:
    >

    >>To make a long story short, I have a client who is upset that the pop-up
    >>windows on her site aren't fully visible to all vistors.

    > Such as those who have JavaScript switched off?
    >

    >>I had originally
    >>set all pop windows to be 800x600, then enlarged them by 50px each way.

    > So you started off with your window set at the full desktop size for a
    > fair portion of users and then made then larger?
    >

    >>Finally, I added resizability and scrollbars.

    > Finally?
    >

    >>These windows open up fine on my computer. Client says that her friends can
    >>open the windows, but they bleed off the screen with no way of seeing all
    >>the info.

    > Have you asked your client what size desktop she and her friends are
    > using? If its 800x600 then the problem is obvious.
    >

    >>Frankly, I'm stumped. Would any of you please take a look?
    >>
    >>Here's the URL for the navpage:
    >>www.finishedwithstyle.com/mainpage.html
    >>
    >>Then click on any of the links in the left-hand column to open the first
    >>window in each series.

    > There are no links in the left hand column. In fact there's no left
    > hand column at all.
    >

    >>A sample of my JS code to open a window:
    >>
    >>function winsamp() {
    >>window.open('samp_1.html','myWindow','width=850,height=650,top=0,left=0,scrollbars=1,resizable=1')
    >>}

    > But how are you linking to that JavaScript? If you're doing <a
    > href="javascript: winsamp()"> then the link won't work at all if
    > users have JS disabled but if you're doing <a href="samp_1.html"
    > onclick="winsamp(); return false;"> then the link will still work when
    > JS is disabled but may still fail if JS is enabled and an aggressive
    > popup blocker is used.
    >
    > Steve

    I think, by default, IE SP2 will block that popup anyway. I think anyone
    with IE SP2 just wont be able to get into this site...
    SpaceGirl, Apr 14, 2005
  11. Timothy Ace Holleran

    Steve Pugh Guest

    SpaceGirl <> wrote:
    >Steve Pugh wrote:
    >> "Timothy Ace Holleran" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>www.finishedwithstyle.com/mainpage.html
    >>>
    >>>Then click on any of the links in the left-hand column to open the first
    >>>window in each series.
    >>>
    >>>A sample of my JS code to open a window:
    >>>
    >>>function winsamp() {
    >>>window.open('samp_1.html','myWindow','width=850,height=650,top=0,left=0,scrollbars=1,resizable=1')
    >>>}

    >> But how are you linking to that JavaScript? If you're doing <a
    >> href="javascript: winsamp()"> then the link won't work at all if
    >> users have JS disabled but if you're doing <a href="samp_1.html"
    >> onclick="winsamp(); return false;"> then the link will still work when
    >> JS is disabled but may still fail if JS is enabled and an aggressive
    >> popup blocker is used.
    >>

    >I think, by default, IE SP2 will block that popup anyway. I think anyone
    >with IE SP2 just wont be able to get into this site...

    Popped up okay here (IE6, WIN XP SP2 fully updated as of yesterday).
    But my settings may well not be as factory default.

    Why do you think Windows would block this particular popup? Is it
    beacuse the popup is called from within a flash movie or beacuse the
    popup is larger than the available screen space? I can't see anything
    in the JavaScript that would cause Windows to block this particular
    popup.

    Steve Pugh, Apr 14, 2005
  12. I appreciate everyone's help here, even the nasty, condescending comments.

    There are plenty of sites on the web that use JS pop-up windows. Try MSNBC,
    one of the largest webstes on earth. Go to
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3842331/

    and click on any links for the slide shows; they are all run by JavaScript.

    I rest my case. Thanks anyway, especially to the majority of you who were
    polite.

    TAH
    Timothy Ace Holleran, Apr 14, 2005
  13. Timothy Ace Holleran

    Oli Filth Guest

    Timothy Ace Holleran wrote:
    > I appreciate everyone's help here, even the nasty, condescending comments.
    >
    > There are plenty of sites on the web that use JS pop-up windows. Try MSNBC,
    > one of the largest webstes on earth. Go to
    > http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3842331/
    >
    > and click on any links for the slide shows; they are all run by JavaScript.
    >
    > I rest my case. Thanks anyway, especially to the majority of you who were
    > polite.

    My comments were not meant to be condescending, merely "to the point",
    apologies if you took them otherwise.

    On a second look at your page, it seems the links do work for me, it
    just takes a second of hovering over each word before it becomes
    clickable, hence my initially assuming they didn't work. It would be
    best to alter the Flash so that they are instantly clickable.

    But my original point still stands, that a combination of pop-ups and
    Javascript is not necessarily the best way to ensure that your site
    content will be seen, as many browsers have these disabled and/or
    blocked to some extent or another.

    --
    Oli
    Oli Filth, Apr 14, 2005
  14. Timothy Ace Holleran

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Timothy Ace Holleran wrote:

    > There are plenty of sites on the web that use JS pop-up windows. Try MSNBC,
    > one of the largest webstes on earth. Go to
    > http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3842331/

    MacDonalds are the largest restaurant chain in the world, so that means
    they must be the best.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Apr 14, 2005
  15. Timothy Ace Holleran wrote:

    > I appreciate everyone's help here, even the nasty, condescending
    > comments.
    >
    > There are plenty of sites on the web that use JS pop-up windows.
    > Try MSNBC, one of the largest webstes on earth. Go to
    > http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3842331/

    That msnbc site is a beautiful one, with the ugly aqua background
    color... oh wait! That's my browser's default color showing! Their
    webmaster doesn't know how to set background colors!

    I'd rather have a Big Mac. <g>

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.