I'd appreciate your eyes and brains

Timothy Ace Holleran

To make a long story short, I have a client who is upset that the pop-up
windows on her site aren't fully visible to all vistors. I had originally
set all pop windows to be 800x600, then enlarged them by 50px each way.
Finally, I added resizability and scrollbars.

These windows open up fine on my computer. Client says that her friends can
open the windows, but they bleed off the screen with no way of seeing all
the info.

Frankly, I'm stumped. Would any of you please take a look?

Here's the URL for the navpage:
www.finishedwithstyle.com/mainpage.html

Then click on any of the links in the left-hand column to open the first
window in each series.

A sample of my JS code to open a window:

function winsamp() {
window.open('samp_1.html','myWindow','width=850,height=650,top=0,left=0,scrollbars=1,resizable=1')
}

Thanks in advance.

Ace of AceHolleran.com

Els

Timothy said:
To make a long story short, I have a client who is upset that the pop-up
windows on her site aren't fully visible to all vistors. I had originally
set all pop windows to be 800x600, then enlarged them by 50px each way.
Finally, I added resizability and scrollbars.

These windows open up fine on my computer. Client says that her friends can
open the windows, but they bleed off the screen with no way of seeing all
the info.

Frankly, I'm stumped. Would any of you please take a look?

Without looking (I don't know JavaScript): Could it be these visitors
use monitors with resolutions set to less than 850x650? I know quite a
few people (understatement) use 800x600 and even 640x480. (Not
mentioning PDA's)
Here's the URL for the navpage:
www.finishedwithstyle.com/mainpage.html

Then click on any of the links in the left-hand column to open the first
window in each series.

Doesn't do anything in my popup-blocking-browser.
Just for this once I'll allow popups though...

Yup, popups larger than 800x600.

Barbara de Zoete

To make a long story short, I have a client who is upset that the pop-up
windows on her site aren't fully visible to all vistors. I had originally
set all pop windows to be 800x600, then enlarged them by 50px each way.
Finally, I added resizability and scrollbars.

Are you deliberately trying to upset people in here :)
These windows open up fine on my computer.

Oh, I see. And that is representative for _the_ultimate_standard_ is it?

Client says that her friends can open the windows, but they bleed off
the screen with no way of seeing all the info.

You have way bigger problems than that.

That's not a URL.
Then click on any of the links in the left-hand column to open the first
window in each series.

I dont get any links. As a matter of fact, all I get (WinXP, 1024x756,
Op7.54, no images allowed, no scripts allowed, no active elements allowed)
is a lot of maroonlike colour and one active link about directions. The
source doesn't help any either. And hitting [Ctrl]+[G] doesn't do anything
either because you were too (? what? uneducated? ignorant? lame?) to
provide any content for those of us who are either on dial-up or still pay
per amount of data. Don't tell me you've made someone pay for this,
because it is a job horribly done.

Joel Shepherd

Timothy Ace Holleran said:
www.finishedwithstyle.com/mainpage.html

To make a long story short, I have a client who is upset that the pop-up
windows on her site aren't fully visible to all vistors. I had originally
set all pop windows to be 800x600, then enlarged them by 50px each way.
Finally, I added resizability and scrollbars.

First, I'm having a hard time seeing why the pop-ups are necessary at
all. These aren't little auxiliary windows: this is the main content of
the site it appears and you're using a lot of real estate for them. Why
not load them in the existing browser window?

Second, 850 x 650px is a big window size to impose on a visitor. What
happens for folks whose screen is at 800x600 or smaller? Right: part of
the window flows off-screen, something that few users are savvy enough
to deal with gracefully.

Personally, I think it'd be safer and simpler to simply use the space in
the browser window the visitor provides you. That should be plenty of
room (if your design isn't otherwise constrained by fixed dimensions),
may be easier to navigate, and will entirely avoid the problem of
imposing oversized windows on unsuspecting visitors.

Steve Pugh

Timothy Ace Holleran said:
To make a long story short, I have a client who is upset that the pop-up
windows on her site aren't fully visible to all vistors.

Such as those who have JavaScript switched off?
I had originally
set all pop windows to be 800x600, then enlarged them by 50px each way.

So you started off with your window set at the full desktop size for a
fair portion of users and then made then larger?
Finally, I added resizability and scrollbars.
Finally?

These windows open up fine on my computer. Client says that her friends can
open the windows, but they bleed off the screen with no way of seeing all
the info.

Have you asked your client what size desktop she and her friends are
using? If its 800x600 then the problem is obvious.
Frankly, I'm stumped. Would any of you please take a look?

Here's the URL for the navpage:
www.finishedwithstyle.com/mainpage.html

Then click on any of the links in the left-hand column to open the first
window in each series.

There are no links in the left hand column. In fact there's no left
hand column at all.

}

But how are you linking to that JavaScript? If you're doing <a
href="javascript: winsamp()"> then the link won't work at all if
users have JS disabled but if you're doing <a href="samp_1.html"
onclick="winsamp(); return false;"> then the link will still work when
JS is disabled but may still fail if JS is enabled and an aggressive
popup blocker is used.

Steve

Travis Newbury

Barbara said:
I dont get any links. As a matter of fact, all I get (WinXP, 1024x756,
Op7.54, no images allowed, no scripts allowed, no active elements
allowed)

Man I wonder what is wrong with your computer? Everything worked on my
computer...

(See the three dots? In this case, it indicates humor)

Uncle Pirate

Timothy said:
To make a long story short, I have a client who is upset that the pop-up
windows on her site aren't fully visible to all vistors. I had originally
set all pop windows to be 800x600, then enlarged them by 50px each way.
Finally, I added resizability and scrollbars.

These windows open up fine on my computer. Client says that her friends can
open the windows, but they bleed off the screen with no way of seeing all
the info.

Is this for an Intranet? None of the windows open for me. I have
JavaScript turned off. Advise your client that opening new windows
should be the choice of the user on the WWW. If your client refuses, do
what you must, but it is best if possible, to not open new windows.

Coordinator, Tularosa Basin Chapter, ABATE of NM; AMA#758681; COBB
'94 1500 Vulcan (now wrecked) :( http://motorcyclefun.org/Dcp_2068c.jpg

Heather Brunet

I had a look at the site and didn't have a problem with any of the pop-up
windows. Other than perhaps your clients friends are looking at the site
with lesson than 800X600 I don't honestly know what you could do
differently. To me, the site looks great!

Heather

}

So, not only are you using pop-ups for your site's content, they're
activated by Javascript. That's a good way to make your site unreadable
in a *lot* of modern browsers.

I can't access anything on your site, I'm running Firefox 1.0.2 with
Javascript *enabled*.

SpaceGirl

Steve said:
Such as those who have JavaScript switched off?

So you started off with your window set at the full desktop size for a
fair portion of users and then made then larger?

Have you asked your client what size desktop she and her friends are
using? If its 800x600 then the problem is obvious.

There are no links in the left hand column. In fact there's no left
hand column at all.

But how are you linking to that JavaScript? If you're doing <a
href="javascript: winsamp()"> then the link won't work at all if
users have JS disabled but if you're doing <a href="samp_1.html"
onclick="winsamp(); return false;"> then the link will still work when
JS is disabled but may still fail if JS is enabled and an aggressive
popup blocker is used.

Steve

I think, by default, IE SP2 will block that popup anyway. I think anyone
with IE SP2 just wont be able to get into this site...

Steve Pugh

SpaceGirl said:
I think, by default, IE SP2 will block that popup anyway. I think anyone
with IE SP2 just wont be able to get into this site...

Popped up okay here (IE6, WIN XP SP2 fully updated as of yesterday).
But my settings may well not be as factory default.

Why do you think Windows would block this particular popup? Is it
beacuse the popup is called from within a flash movie or beacuse the
popup is larger than the available screen space? I can't see anything
in the JavaScript that would cause Windows to block this particular
popup.

Steve

Timothy Ace Holleran

I appreciate everyone's help here, even the nasty, condescending comments.

There are plenty of sites on the web that use JS pop-up windows. Try MSNBC,
one of the largest webstes on earth. Go to
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3842331/

and click on any links for the slide shows; they are all run by JavaScript.

I rest my case. Thanks anyway, especially to the majority of you who were
polite.

TAH

Oli Filth

Timothy said:
I appreciate everyone's help here, even the nasty, condescending comments.

There are plenty of sites on the web that use JS pop-up windows. Try MSNBC,
one of the largest webstes on earth. Go to
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3842331/

and click on any links for the slide shows; they are all run by JavaScript.

I rest my case. Thanks anyway, especially to the majority of you who were
polite.

My comments were not meant to be condescending, merely "to the point",
apologies if you took them otherwise.

On a second look at your page, it seems the links do work for me, it
just takes a second of hovering over each word before it becomes
clickable, hence my initially assuming they didn't work. It would be
best to alter the Flash so that they are instantly clickable.

But my original point still stands, that a combination of pop-ups and
Javascript is not necessarily the best way to ensure that your site
content will be seen, as many browsers have these disabled and/or
blocked to some extent or another.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Timothy said:
I appreciate everyone's help here, even the nasty, condescending
comments.

There are plenty of sites on the web that use JS pop-up windows.
Try MSNBC, one of the largest webstes on earth. Go to
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3842331/

That msnbc site is a beautiful one, with the ugly aqua background
color... oh wait! That's my browser's default color showing! Their
webmaster doesn't know how to set background colors!

I'd rather have a Big Mac. <g>