I'd trade my mother for...

Mike J.S.

I will trade my mother if anyone can get the effects in :
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex4/thumbnail2.htm

....to work in all browsers, like :
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/fadeinslideshow.htm

Seriously. She's yours. And she bakes a wicked apple pie. Add the
useless, but can maybe be recycled as a book-end.

Joking aside, I'd consider hiring someone for this (I can't believe Dynamic
Drive leaves these half-finished, only partially-working scripts online --
ignoring all requests to bring them up to acceptable speed. It's all the
more infuriating that they've got it right in one script, and aren't
bothering fixing the others they're also credited for authoring.)

I'll consider payment (within reason) if that's what it'll take.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 29 Sep 2007 03:28:44
GMT Mike J.S. scribed:
I will trade my mother if anyone can get the effects in :
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex4/thumbnail2.htm

...to work in all browsers, like :
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/fadeinslideshow.htm

Seriously. She's yours. And she bakes a wicked apple pie. Add the
useless, but can maybe be recycled as a book-end.

Joking aside, I'd consider hiring someone for this (I can't believe
Dynamic Drive leaves these half-finished, only partially-working
scripts online -- ignoring all requests to bring them up to
acceptable speed. It's all the more infuriating that they've got it
right in one script, and aren't bothering fixing the others they're
also credited for authoring.)

I'll consider payment (within reason) if that's what it'll take.

I didn't look at the script, but it seems like some MS proprietary filter
at work as the fade-ins and -outs only work in ie. The effect can be
replicated in other browsers with the not-yet-standard "opacity" css
attribute.

I'm not going to do it because you couldn't afford how long it would take
me, but it's possible. For a taste, check out the following link in any
main browser _but_ ie with javascript enabled. The effect occurs upon

http://www.neredbojias.com/beta/_lr/lra03.html

Mike J.S.

I'm aware that it can be done... I posted links to examples of it being
done. I just need the help to get it done.

SAZ

I will trade my mother if anyone can get the effects in :
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex4/thumbnail2.htm

...to work in all browsers, like :
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/fadeinslideshow.htm

Seriously. She's yours. And she bakes a wicked apple pie. Add the
useless, but can maybe be recycled as a book-end.

Joking aside, I'd consider hiring someone for this (I can't believe Dynamic
Drive leaves these half-finished, only partially-working scripts online --
ignoring all requests to bring them up to acceptable speed. It's all the
more infuriating that they've got it right in one script, and aren't
bothering fixing the others they're also credited for authoring.)

I'll consider payment (within reason) if that's what it'll take.
I'd trade my mother for anything at all, but you'd end up giving her
back.

Joe Butler

Yours is the second useless post I've seen in this group today. The other
was a useless post about learning not to multipost....

Why do you care what this guy has posted?

If you haven't got the original context, what is so compelling about the
post that pips your curiosity?

You do realise, don't you, that it's not necessary to inline every single
sentence the way you did. People have been sending each other
correspondence for years and years and never ever needed to inline the
contents of the letter they responded to.

Bergamot

Joe said:
Yours is the second useless post I've seen in this group today.

You must be new around here. I'd suggest lurking here for a while,
except you've already announced your newbie-ness (to this group, if not
Usenet as a whole). It may be too late to show you have a clue, but I'll
give you the benefit of the doubt.
The other
was a useless post about learning not to multipost....

Not useless at all. Following the long-established conventions of this
group is paramount to getting any respect/help/advice around here.

Perhaps you should read this. You'll get a lot farther around here if
you show you have the willingness and ability to learn. Not top-posting
would be a really good start.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 03 Oct 2007 00:37:50
GMT andrew scribed:
Beautiful!!

Andrew

->> -added
->> --
->> 'Name him not!' said Gandalf, and for a moment
->> it seemed that a look of pain passed over his face,
->> and he sat silent, looking old as death.
->>

The first time I read the LOTR, you couldn't (in my spare time) pry me away
from the tome. I even wee-weed on the fly... (Get it?)

andrew

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 03 Oct 2007 00:37:50
GMT andrew scribed:
[..]

->> -added
->> --
->> 'Name him not!' said Gandalf, and for a moment
->> it seemed that a look of pain passed over his face,
->> and he sat silent, looking old as death.
->>

The first time I read the LOTR, you couldn't (in my spare time) pry me away
from the tome. I even wee-weed on the fly... (Get it?)

I stole that sig file from someone in a Slackware NG where there was
some debate as to who 'he' was :) But from this I tracked the Balrogs
back through the Silmarillion where they are major players.

Mind you while I was digging through the Silmarillion I found the
greatest story that Tolkien wrote: Beren and Luthien, names that I
believe have been written at his request on his tomb.

Andrew

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 03 Oct 2007 23:27:03
GMT andrew scribed:
Mind you while I was digging through the Silmarillion I found the
greatest story that Tolkien wrote: Beren and Luthien, names that I
believe have been written at his request on his tomb.

Haven't read that story nor perused the Silmarillion much (-although I once
owned a copy.) If I get a chance in the future...

How did you like the LOTR (3-part) movie?

andrew

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 03 Oct 2007 23:27:03
GMT andrew scribed:

Haven't read that story nor perused the Silmarillion much (-although I once
owned a copy.) If I get a chance in the future...

How did you like the LOTR (3-part) movie?

Good to see New Zealand on the world stage (my next door neighbour)!
Loved parts of it: the Balrog was perfect. Saddest piece missing was
the 'scouring of the shire'.

Andrew

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 05 Oct 2007 10:32:46
GMT andrew scribed:
Good to see New Zealand on the world stage (my next door neighbour)!
Loved parts of it: the Balrog was perfect. Saddest piece missing was
the 'scouring of the shire'.

Oh, are you from Australia? Somehow I had the idea you were from New
Zealand - dunno why, though.

I thought the movie was... well, let's say "uneven". Yeah, the Balrog was
good, and some of the other sfx stuff. (Really liked the gate-openers.)
Some of the acting was good, and some of the story. I don't think it was
particularly faithful to the main _gist_ of the book, although,
technically, it probably "followed the script" well. Couldn't stand the
Frodo and Samwise actors - probably because my pre-conceived notion of them
is so strong - but thought the Samwise actor did a good job, regardless.
No one can equal my conception of Luthien Tinuviel, although Liv Tyler
(whatever character she played) likely is the closest to it alive. Whoever
thought Viggo Mortensen could act must be a jokester, yet, still, I liked
him in "Hidalgo". Liked Gandalf and some of the other lesser characters;
didn't like others. Thought they could have done more with Sauron.

Anyway, part of the problem may be that I saw part 2 first, then 1, then 3.
Someday I will sit down and watch the whole thing in the right order, and
my opinion may change a bit, though, I suspect, not radically.

Dan

You do realise, don't you, that it's not necessary to inline every single
sentence the way you did. People have been sending each other
correspondence for years and years and never ever needed to inline the
contents of the letter they responded to.

There's quite a bit of irony to saying that and then fullquoting the
entire contents of the message you're responding to.

verona