IDE/Debugger Extremely Slow

Guest

I am running VB for ASP.Net in VS.Net 2003 and am experiencing extremely slow
response in the ide at times and the debugger. Below is additional detail on
the problem. Any thoughts are much appreciated.

VS.Net IDE Extremely Slow
Symptoms:
· When you type in IDE editor you have to wait several seconds before the
text appears
Observations:
· This occurs for a page with many controls and a lot of code when editing
another page in the same project the editor speed seemed normal

VS.Net Debugger extremely slow
Symptoms:
· When you step through code in the debugger it takes about 10 –15 seconds
to go from one line to the next
Observations:
· This occurs for both a large page with many controls and a lot of code and
another page in the same project that is quite small
· The project this occurs in is quite large, and is under source control. In
a small web project not under source control the debugger steps through
quickly

Guest

Is it like this on one specific PC or lots, could it just be that your
comp0uter is not up to the job ?

Jan Hyde

clickon <[email protected]>'s wild thoughts
were released on Thu, 23 Mar 2006 14:54:02 -0800 bearing the
following fruit:
Is it like this on one specific PC or lots, could it just be that your
comp0uter is not up to the job ?

My thoughts exactly. My PC had 512MB of memory and couldn't
cope with VS2005. I've got 2GB now and the speed issues are
no longer a problem.

Jan Hyde (VB MVP)

George Ter-Saakov

Did you install .NET 2.0 recently.

I had that problem after I installed it. Reboot helped.

Also make sure in IIS console that you are running your project with .NET
1.1

George

Bruce Barker

you probably do not have enough memory. bump your machine to at least 1gb

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Parag

I was having similar problems.
Search & Delete the (.suo) and (.ncb) files for your project.

You may have to repeat this when you see slowness in the IDE.

-Parag

DCC700

Yes. Deleting the suo file corrected the problem The file was 2.6 MBs.
Any thoughts on how the file got so huge???

Thank you much.