IDE favorite

David Segall

Tim Tyler said:
: Eclipse lacks a GUI developer which means you have to lay out your user
: interface on paper instead of on the screen.

"Visual Builder for Eclipse"
http://www.assisiplugins.com/index_start.html
Thanks Tim. I don't think the free Community Edition or even the tools
for which they charge are in the same league as JBuilder, JDeveloper
or NetBeans but I did not know about them and should have included
them in my post.

Tim Tyler

:>: Eclipse lacks a GUI developer which means you have to lay out your user
:>: interface on paper instead of on the screen.
:>
:>"Visual Builder for Eclipse"
:>http://www.assisiplugins.com/index_start.html

: Thanks Tim. I don't think the free Community Edition or even the tools
: for which they charge are in the same league as JBuilder, JDeveloper
: or NetBeans [...]

Probebly a fair bet - they have not existed for nearly as long.

Tukla Ratte

Not really. Unless BlueJ supports Perl, Unix scripts, C++, Java, C,
Ada, Pascal, Assembler, C#, text (OK, it probably does this one), XML,
HTML, JSP, ASP and SQL (T/SQL and PL/SQL) then I think I'll stick with
my text editor thanks. In the time it takes to learn the latest and
greatest IDE for each of these I think I will have died of boredom and
not written any code.

The original poster *was* asking about IDEs specifically for Java.
Obviously, no single IDE can handle all of those (although the modular
IDEs like Emacs and Eclipse could, with relatively little effort).

BTW, I sure hope you aren't having to use all those languages in a
single project. <bg>

< snip >

Steve

The original poster *was* asking about IDEs specifically for Java.
Obviously, no single IDE can handle all of those (although the modular
IDEs like Emacs and Eclipse could, with relatively little effort).

BTW, I sure hope you aren't having to use all those languages in a
single project. <bg>

< snip >

well, you snipped a bit too soon, my response re: multiple languages
was in reponse to the comment "your loss" refering to not using IDEs.
I agree it is getting OT, but it is a valid point in the discussion of
IDEs I think.

~ If emailing, please use: Steve_A_Haigh
~ @
~ hotmail.com
~

Drew Volpe

classes and methods and allows you to move your code between classes
with the minimum of clerical work. However, I think JBuilder has a
more polished user interface than the others and, because of it's
popularity, it may be a good item to add to your CV. Of the remaining
two, Oracle's JDeveloper has more facilities than Netbeans but the
^^^^^^^^^^^

note that JDeveloper has a free trial, but no free version.

dv

The geographical center of Boston is in Roxbury. Due north of the
center we find the South End. This is not to be confused with South
Boston which lies directly east from the South End. North of the South
End is East Boston and southwest of East Boston is the North End.

Drew Volpe, mylastname at hcs o harvard o edu

Rob

classes and methods and allows you to move your code between classes
As I mentioned in my original post the JDeveloper license restricts
what you can do with the programs you write if you have not paid for
it. However, the downloaded version has no time limit and the program
is identical to the version you buy. Consequently, I felt able to
include it in a list of free programs for a student.

This has probably already been said, but Netbeans is pretty much the same
thing as Sun's Forte, so if you are looking for something to put on your
CV/resume... I used Netbeans for a while and it is a hog (I guess my 500mhz
256mb just wasn't enough). It was painfully slow. I have instead started
using JEdit (www.jedit.org). It is fast, full of features, and free. You
do need to know abit about java though. It wont write code for you like
JBuilder and Netbeans' wizards.

Cheers,
Rob

Dale King

Jeroen Wenting said:
Acually JBuilder is an excellent learning tool, as it doesn't force you to
use the wizards and GUI builders while providing things like context
sensitive help and error highlighting (including indicating errors as you
type) which can really help when you're stumped.
Nice thing is also that the code JBuilder CAN (but never insists) on
building for you is excellent code that is great to examine how things
should be done.

Another nice one is Eclipse, though that might be a bit hard to set up
correctly for a newbie (who could quickly become frustrated by Eclipse
'features' like taking a JRE instead of JDK as the default Java environment
(which can prevent compilation from working...).

If you want some IDEs that ARE extremely inappropriate as learning tools:
- Visual Age Java
- Netbeans
Both insist on building a lot of the code for you, presenting it as a black
box which cannot be modified (and often building quite dirty code as
well).

Nonsense. I have never seen either insist on doing that. The only place they
generate code is when building a GUI, which JBuilder will do as well.
Neither force you to use wizards or GUI builders.

But using GUI builders is not something a newbie should be doing.
No way to override that either that I've found (I've tried both).

There is nothing to override.

While all these IDE's have their advantages and disadvantages, none is as
well suited for a newbie learning the language as BlueJ

Dale King

David Segall said:
As I mentioned in my original post the JDeveloper license restricts
what you can do with the programs you write if you have not paid for
it. However, the downloaded version has no time limit and the program
is identical to the version you buy. Consequently, I felt able to
include it in a list of free programs for a student.

While I am not familiar with JDeveloper's license, the same can be said of
JBuilder, except that its license is VERY restrictive of what you can do
with it and I definitely disagree with it being called free software.
Particularly if it is lumped in with other software like Eclipse that is
truly free.

Red

Hey Ed,

I know you've gotten a million responses already. I will make quick,
easy suggestions. JBuilder is probably the most user friendly and
easiest editor to use when you are beginning. When you start using
application servers this changes the equation a bit, as most have
their recommended, branded editors (ex. WebSphere's maekover of
Eclipse).

Personally, as an advanced developer, I use ANT exclusively and find
this to be the best tool. I guess my advice to you is that start off
using an editor (maybe JBuilder), but if you serious about a future in
Java development get used to a tool like ANT. The visual editors
aren't the best tools to use for serious development. But for
beginning, the code wizards the editors have will probably be
something of use to you.

Of course, some may prefer to use an editor, but I have found that you
really don't need one. A good text editor and ANT are all that is
really needed. And to be totally honest with you, ANT is very easy to
learn, it CAN be much more complex, but to learn it's basics is very
easy.

Good Luck,
Reid

javadesigner

Ok. Here's how it breaks down:

1) Unix/Linux: emacs or xemacs
2) Macintosh OSX: BBEdit (or emacs)
3) Windows: NoteTab, SlickEdit (or emacs).

Both BBEdit and SlickEdit have emacs key emulation are are
both pretty good (although BBEdit is a bit easier to setup).

Ignore the other "IDE's". They suck.

Best regards,

--j

[Remove spam and fix yahoo email address to email me]

Jon A. Cruz

javadesigner said:
Both BBEdit and SlickEdit have emacs key emulation are are
both pretty good (although BBEdit is a bit easier to setup).

Problem is, emacs keybindings are probably emacs' leasy usefull feature.

elips emulation is really needed to have decent emacs emulation.

'though both of those are good editors.

Lance Parkington

I would recommend VisualAge for Java which produces pure Java code.
The IDE has very powerful capability to connect GUIs to code. The full
professional version comes with CD in the book "Effective VisualAge
for Java Version 3: Includes coverage of versions 3.02 and 3.5 Scott
Stanchfield, Isabelle Mauny " available from amazon etc

Tim Tyler

: I would recommend VisualAge for Java which produces pure Java code.
: The IDE has very powerful capability to connect GUIs to code. The full
: professional version comes with CD in the book "Effective VisualAge
: for Java Version 3: Includes coverage of versions 3.02 and 3.5 Scott
: Stanchfield, Isabelle Mauny " available from amazon etc

Aren't IBM replacing this with Eclipse?

Jeroen Wenting

well).

Nonsense. I have never seen either insist on doing that. The only place they
generate code is when building a GUI, which JBuilder will do as well.
Neither force you to use wizards or GUI builders.
But at least JBuilder will allow you to change the things the GUI builder
created, the others will not.
But using GUI builders is not something a newbie should be doing.
That I fully agree with.
A simple text editor (with maybe syntax highlighting to point you to your
typos) is best.
There is nothing to override.
There is. All the code the GUI builder generates is often faster to change
in text mode. JBuilder allows that, the others do not.
While all these IDE's have their advantages and disadvantages, none is as
well suited for a newbie learning the language as BlueJ
jExt is far more suited. Or indeed Notepad or vi (depending on your OS and
which you know already).

Dale King

Mohun Biswas said:
What part of "... are free or have a free version ..." do you interpret
as being called free software?

Sorry, but that phrase appears nowhere in the message I replied to. My
comment was only about the notion that IDE's that you can download for free
but have very restrictive licenses should be called free. In my book, they
should not be or at least should not be lumped in with others that are free
as if they are equivalent.

Mohun Biswas

Dale said:
Sorry, but that phrase appears nowhere in the message I replied to.

Read the thread back. You will see that the phrase to which you
(eventually) responded was indeed what I quoted, and that nowhere in the
intervening discussion did anyone confuse "freely downloadable but
resticted" with "free software". Except you.
My comment was only about the notion that IDE's that you can download for free
but have very restrictive licenses should be called free. In my book, they
should not be or at least should not be lumped in with others that are free
as if they are equivalent.

No argument on that point, it's just that said "notion" doesn't appear
here until you raise it. You must have misread something in the earlier
thread because there's no inappropriate commingling of free-ness going on.

MB

Jon Skeet

Jeroen Wenting said:
Was thinking about the "Installed Java Runtime Environments" which is where
it gets the tools.jet to use.
On my machine it detected the JRE not the JDK (and thus no tools.jar)...

Why would Eclipse need to use tools.jar when it has its own internal
compiler though?

David Segall

Tim Tyler said:
: I would recommend VisualAge for Java which produces pure Java code.
: The IDE has very powerful capability to connect GUIs to code. The full
: professional version comes with CD in the book "Effective VisualAge
: for Java Version 3: Includes coverage of versions 3.02 and 3.5 Scott
: Stanchfield, Isabelle Mauny " available from amazon etc

Aren't IBM replacing this with Eclipse?
No. They have already superseded it with Websphere Studio Application
Developer which is based on Visual Age for Java. VAJ was based on
Eclipse but adds, among other things, a visual GUI interface
developer.

Tim Tyler

:>: I would recommend VisualAge for Java which produces pure Java code.

[...]

:>Aren't IBM replacing this with Eclipse?

: No. They have already superseded it with Websphere Studio Application
: Developer which is based on Visual Age for Java.

Websphere Studio Application Developer is based on Eclipse.

It is a commercal version of Eclipse. It is unlikely to supercede
Eclipse because is isn't in the same market in terms of price.

: VAJ was based on Eclipse but adds, among other things, a visual GUI
: interface developer.

Eclipse came out years after VisualAge for Java did.

Eclipse is written in Java - VisualAge for Java was written in Smalltalk.

Yar Hwee Boon

David Segall said:
No. They have already superseded it with Websphere Studio Application
Developer which is based on Visual Age for Java. VAJ was based on
Eclipse but adds, among other things, a visual GUI interface
developer.

Nope, Tim is closer. WSAD replaces VAJ and WSAD is based on Eclipse.

Hwee Boon