IDE favorite

Steve Horsley

I'm a college student and am in the process of learning Java and OOP. What
is the most popular IDE to create Java programs?

Any and all replies would certainly be appreciated.

ed.

If you have not used an IDE before, I suggest BlueJ from
http://www.bluej.org which is explicitly designed for teaching java and
also for teaching OO concepts. It is simple enough that you don't have to
spend hours finding your way round all the menus, but it does everything a
beginner needs. And its object workbench is probably unique, and gives a
very good feeling for OO.

Steve

Scott

Hi, sorry I've come in late on this thread, having just subscribed to this
newsgroup.

Can someone post a bullet list of the main Java IDE's available? I don't
need any comment, just names (I can Google if I need more info), although
"free", "free with restricted license", or "paid" would be useful.

Sorry if that was in one of the msgs earlier in the thread that has since
expired off my news server.

Cheers,
Scott

d2003xx

ed collins said:
I'm a college student and am in the process of learning Java and OOP. What
is the most popular IDE to create Java programs?

Any and all replies would certainly be appreciated.

vim + cmd

Drew Volpe

Last time we met said:
JDEE + Emacs

Eclipse

NetBeans

BlueJ

I would add:

IDEA - $500, free 30 day trial
JBuilder - a lot.
JDeveloper - $1000, free trial.

dv

The geographical center of Boston is in Roxbury. Due north of the
center we find the South End. This is not to be confused with South
Boston which lies directly east from the South End. North of the South
End is East Boston and southwest of East Boston is the North End.

Drew Volpe, mylastname at hcs o harvard o edu